Username Post: Learning digi!        (Topic#1591693)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I am not planning to give up paper and trimmer scrapbooking - I can't - too much invested in supplies, tools and machines. Plus, I really enjoy it!

But... as much as we travel and as much time as I spend in hotel rooms - it would be awesome to be able to get some pages done. And I love learning new things on the computer so it will be fun.

When we leave for a trip it is often for 2-3 or even 4 months at a time and we have to pack clothes for different seasons which leaves no room for any scrapbook supplies. I do take a carry on which holds papers I buy as well as any momentos of the trip along the way.

I found a private tutor and I'm excited to meet her and start learning! Here is here email to me:

Hello Henri,
It would be my pleasure to work with you to learn Photoshop for your scrapbooking projects.

I'm a professional digital scrapbooking instructor and Photoshop coach. I've worked with some of the best names in the digital scrapbooking business for many years, including DigiShopTalk, Digital Scrapper, E-Scape and Scrap, Scrap Girls; in addition to working for Photoshop guru Scott Kelby as Managing Editor for Photoshop Elements Techniques magazine.

I have created print and video tutorials on a wide variety of digital scrapbooking and image enhancement techniques. I'm also a digital designer as well.

I can help you accomplish anything you would like to do with your scrapbooking using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

I'd love to hear more about what you would want to learn, and to share some links to some of my work. Please contact me at your convenience and let's talk more about specifics. My rates are negotiable and we can get started anytime you're ready!

I hope to hear from you soon, and look forward to helping you achieve your Photoshop and scrapbooking goals!

Back to me: Right now we are trying to get a military hop to Hawaii for 2 or 3 weeks. We'd like to be there for Halloween, great costumes and lots of fun. However, Bill spends a lot of time working when we are in Hawaii and I spend lots of days in the room, then we go out at night. Digi scrapping would give me something to do while I'm in the room for 6 and 8 hours at a time!

Bill is considering taking a security job in Nevada for a month or so after that. We don't know where yet - location hasn't been given yet. They are transferring prisoners in California to a rehab/training facility before releasing them and Bill will be one of 30 who will be working the prisoners. I will be with him but spending time in the room when he is working. He will be working 12 hour shifts so digi scrapping would be nice.

Then on January 4th we are tentatively planning on going on a 113 day world cruise. I won't have online time on the ship (too expensive) but in ports I could play with it when we stop for a couple hours to get on the computer. Especially in ports where we've been 3 or 4 times.

This is just a logical thing for me to learn to do.

Right? Carolyn, Tammy, Gelidy and all you other digi scrappers who do such beautiful work! I love your pages!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Henri Jean

Once you jump in (digital scrapbooking) it gets easier & easier.
might I make a suggestion
In the beginning, keep it simple. Purchase a few digital kits and make basic layouts. Then, as you get better, you layer more complexity into your layouts. It's just like regular scrapbooking, as you get better you try different techniques.

GOOD LUCK! and you are going to love it!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I'm very excited! I have a ton of scrapbook paper which is themed which I hope to be able to scan in and use as a background.

I have so much time to play with it that I hope to get going fast.

I've started scanning in the 29 scrapbooks I have now (about 85 pages each) and am having them printed on Shutterfly. I'm starting new books with my absolute favorite pages so I will keep about 4 of 5 pages out of each scrapbook.

The originals - if other people (friends or family) are in they will get the original pages.

I may even take some of the family original pages and make a family book for my mother. I'm tired of all the bulk!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

Henri Jean, might I share a small story...
I live in Los Angeles. I brought my latest scrapbook (12 x 12 printouts of my digital Thailand vacation) and my iPad (which contained jpegs of the same printouts) to New York to visit my folks.

Even though the physical scrapbook was there, both of my parents preferred looking at my pages on the iPad! because they could zoom in!
That's when I decided, I really needed to rethink making all of these 12 x 12 printouts...

And if you haven't already done it, a 8 x 8 shutterfly book of a 12 x 12 album is CUTE!!! And people LOVE the 8 x 8 size. They leave it out on their coffee table, toss it in their bag and take it with them to brag, etc. etc.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

That's a great idea. For my main books there is so much journaling and its small to start with so I can't shrink it down anymore and read it.

However, for layouts that are just photos or photos with large titles the 8 x 8 books would be adorable to give for gifts! Especially for my mother!

Or books to give to my step-daughter and my daughter-in-law with pictures of the babies in them - those would be perfect in 8 x 8 - didn't think of that!

Thank you for the idea!

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 10-21-13 05:08 PM

Hi Henri!!

I LOVE digi. I did paper for over 10 years and now have only done digi for over 5 years. I print mine at Costco and do the 8x8 size. I also have books made through them and also look for groupon or other "deal" sites for coupons, that is a great deal. It is really the way to go for travel scrapping.

I have several albums in my gallery that are digi.

You do not need internet for photoshop. I use Memorymixer as my program. I do have PSE but it was too confusing for me. This is easier for my simple brain.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to charK

Thank you Charlene. My son already installed photoshop for me and I'm having no trouble at all stitched what I've scanned in 4 sections to make one layout. That works well.

I can't go smaller with most of my layouts because some of my pages are 1/2-3/4 research and journaling. It's probably not a good thing but when we go to different countries I research everything - some of my pages read like history books.

Today I posted a layout with the complete history of the shootout at the OK Corral. I research the history of everywhere we go. Will be putting together Egypt pages soon - boy did I research the pyramids of Giza for my scrapbooks (we were there a few months ago)! A few years ago I did about 8 scrapbook pages of research on King Tut when we visited his tomb in Luxor.

India - researched every temple and all about their religions.

It would be too small to read with a magnifying glass if I reduced some of that down to 8 x 8 although I think I will do that with some pages with no journaling.

For journaling pages I like the 12 x 12 format.

I have 29 scrapbooks and just had 3 of them printed with Shutterfly. Will do the other 26 as well as new ones.

You are right - didn't even think about photoshop working without the internet. That means I can get a ton of scrapping done, even on the cruise ship.

Just got to get with the tutor and start learning!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

Yay! Another scrapper over to the dark side

I'm sure you'll pick it up pretty quickly, especially with your tutor.....I wish I'd had someone when I started with PSE!

I look forward to seeing your creations

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to scrappercaz

holy wow, Henri, it's truly a new era!!! Good luck with your endeavor!! scrapping digi is fun, b/c you can take it with you anywhere!! I'm surprised though that you don't take some scrappy supplies with you when you travel.. especially if it's a place where you stay for long and don't jump from room to room.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

• Gelidy Gelato Said:

And if you haven't already done it, a 8 x 8 shutterfly book of a 12 x 12 album is CUTE!!! And people LOVE the 8 x 8 size. They leave it out on their coffee table, toss it in their bag and take it with them to brag, etc. etc.

Yes, totally agree!
I did a small book of summer photos last year b/c I had a shutterfly coupon and they were on sale. Two weeks later I ordered two more of the same books - for both grandparents, because they wanted to borrow the original one to brag!
The only tiny detail I find annoying is that not all printers have flat books, some bindings will eat up a little bit of design on the side.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to OlesyaK.

I don't take scrap supplies Olesya - Bill and I take stand-by military hops and we roam around too much so we don't take as much as an extra fingernail file! Last year we got off a cruise ship in Istanbul and had all our luggage and carry-ons to deal with and carry all over the streets of Istanbul until we got on a train at midnight. Then we had to get everything off the train about 4 times when we were moving around and drag it, sometimes all day around different cities while we were sightseeing.

Sometimes we get on very small planes and those have tight weight restrictions. Military lear jets are 25 pounds each if we get on one of those. We've had to pass on going somewhere because our luggage was a few pounds over.

When we go somewhere, we don't know where we will end up or on what planes so I can't have an extra ounce of things we don't need and that is hard to do when we are gone for months at a time.

We were on a road trip a few years ago we were going through Texas Bill found out there was a flight to Japan one the morning so we parked our van and got on a plane for Japan - completely unexpected.

When we travel like that I cannot take any scrap supplies. My computer is it!

Coming home from Germany in 2010 Bill asked the pilot where the plane was going after Dover, DE (we told family we would be home that night). Anyway, pilot said, "We are going on to Hawaii." We had been in Puerto Rico and then on a cruise ship for a month and then flying all over Europe and then rented a car for 10 days in Germany. We had no idea we would end up in Hawaii for 3 weeks! We just packed light because we knew we might have to physically haul our luggage around with us since we never know where we were going the entire trip.

Even if I think we are going on a USA trip in the van Bill calls military bases along the way and if a flight overseas sounds good we park the van and get on on. I don't want to leave my scrap supplies in the van parked on a base for months at a time.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I have a question. Can I download papers I've already purchased for different countries into my computer and use them for backgrounds? I have purchased papers I really like for countries all over the world and want to use them - would be awesome if I can scan them in for digi while I'm gone.

If so I can do that before we leave on a trip. Same with my diecut embellies for different countries.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
  • Gelidy Gelato Said:

Yes, totally agree!
I did a small book of summer photos last year b/c I had a shutterfly coupon and they were on sale. Two weeks later I ordered two more of the same books - for both grandparents, because they wanted to borrow the original one to brag!
The only tiny detail I find annoying is that not all printers have flat books, some bindings will eat up a little bit of design on the side.

I have started pulling everything in from the edges of my digital pages about 1/4". Because I have found, depending on the service, a little bit of the edge gets trimmed off. Sometimes it's only one edge, sometimes it's around the whole page. There is nothing worse than when the edge of your journaling get trimmed off.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

My last book chopped off the bottom of a lot of my pages so that the last few words in some of my journaling was missing.

I called Shutterfly and told him it was my wedding book - I wanted it to be perfect.

He told me it was not problem, he was sure a few pages slipped or got out of alignment in printing and the book is being printed over! Thank goodness.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita

I think that digi scrapping is a great option for you! I started last year when I started my sister's Scotland album.

There are some great tutorials online. I started with one from TrueScrap.

Yes, you can definitely scan the papers that you bought and use them on your digi pages!

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to Rosita

P.s. so envious of the traveling you get to do!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Rosita

I love the travelling but I love being home too. Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence thing.

There are 2 big crop weekends I was looking forward to and will miss - not complaining but sometimes I would like more of a normal life.

I guess what I really want is to be two places at once! With two little granddaughters sometimes its hard to be gone for months at a time.

I'm happy home, I'm happy travelling. We've been home since June which is very usual for us and I have to say, I've enjoyed it.

Tonight I'm going to dinner with one of my scrap girlfriends - I miss that kind of thing a lot when we are gone so much. It's hard to make plans or feel like you fit in normally anywhere when you are never home.

But, I love the different places and travelling. I'm happy both ways.

When I'm overseas sometimes I want to be home and when I'm home I sometimes wish we were on a trip.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics