Username Post: Gesso and Buckling        (Topic#1591753)
New Kid On the Block

Hello. I'm really getting into to card making, scrapbooking, mixed media, and making a smash book. I'm not really good at everything yet. I've made my own paint sprays and stuff like that and really satisfied with them.

I'm have trouble with priming things in gesso. I don't know if it's too thick or my pieces are too small, but they lose their shape.

I think its the modge podge because it curls the paper, but I don't know what else to use that would give me the adhesion I want.

Any suggestions? I'm going to make a steampunk grungy canvas for my bestfriend for Christmas.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to leona2025

Anything liquid (gesso, Mod Podge, liquid glue) is going to warp paper - you can't avoid that unless you soak the paper with liquid glue and stick it completely on the canvas. So to avoid warping, you either need to use less liquid (like a tape runner or glue dots to adhere your pieces) or soak it completely. Or embrace the curled look!

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to RedSquirrel

I don't know if you could do this with canvas necessarily, but I made a mixed media wooden ornament with some shells from my trip to Mexico, and when I glued the paper onto my wooden ornament, I smoothed the wrinkles out the best I could with my fingers and the back of a spoon and then stacked some cookbooks on top of it and left it to dry completely for a couple of days. I still ended up with a couple of wrinkles in the paper, but because of the pattern on it they aren't noticeable. Like I said at the beginning though...I don't know if you could do this with canvas.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics