Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Help me get my groove back....        (Topic#1591767)
s.taylor
New Kid On the Block
s.taylor

I LOVE to scrapbook...all of my 7 kids. After years of being idle, I am finally feeling motivated to get back to the hobby I love so much. However...what used to be so easy for me is suddenly so overwhelming. I'm having trouble making simple decisions. I am using page maps and kits to make things less stressful but am wondering if anyone can recommend some good resources (besides this one!) for sketches and titles (titles kill me). Thanks in advance!

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to s.taylor

my first suggestion would be to be okay with it taking forever. Sometimes it takes some time to get back into the full swing of things.

I find title inspiration from things like songs, phrases from the story I am telling, an emotion, etc. The world is your inspiration!

There are tons of really good sketch sites out there. I really like Becky Higgins' Pagemaps.com website and Scrapbook Generations/Allison Davis.

HTH

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to s.taylor

Take it slow. Go with the colors you love. Scrap some not too important photos to help you get warmed up. Remember to have fun. Share your layouts with us so we can give you feedback. You'll do great!

merreena
Veteran
merreena
In response to bonprof

Pinterest is great for inspiration and sketches also it will lead you to the original site.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to merreena

Another vote for Pinterest.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to Luvmyfam

Youtube always inspires me.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to southgirl

I bought a bunch of scrapbooking books on amazon. They are very inspiring!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to bonprof

As for titles, I usually get mine from the picture I'm using in the LO, or an emotion or story that pertains to that picture. I eased back into it after a 5-yr hiatus, by being drawn to colors I loved. Vibrant, vivid, full of life. In the 2 yrs since, my tastes have changed, but I still enjoy looking at my old LO's. What helps me from becoming overwhelmed is organizing my area. I can't work or create a page if everythings' in chaos. Once all is in order, I start feeling 'the ich' to do a LO. Good luck, & enjoy the ride!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to flwrgrl

I agree - the pictures I'm using bring out an emotion or title or help me think of something. Often the picture makes me think of a song and I use the song title or line in it for my title.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to Henri Jean

I was going to say Pinterest too. Also, there's some iPhone sketch apps. Sketches 4 cards, Sketch 2 Scrapbook. And they have websites too if you google.

s.taylor
New Kid On the Block
s.taylor
In response to scrapchica

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to s.taylor

Keep in touch; let us know how you're doing!

KarenRC751
New Kid On the Block
KarenRC751
In response to bonprof

Can you take a look at my 2 pages I uploaded of my 2 granddchildren and let me know what you think. I don't use all that expensive cause I can't afford it.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to KarenRC751

Fantastic!! I really like your work. Good for you.
Keep going. Yay!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-29-13 02:35 PM
In response to bonprof

Sometimes titles are just obvious, but when i am struggling for one I will start my journaling first. Then either a word or a phrase pops out at me and that becomes my title. Maybe that would work for you.

I also don't feel the need to put a "title" on every page. Some pages just don't need a title and I don't like to force it because then it usually ends up being more awkward.

Veteran
In response to Vae

I don't always put a title on my pages. Sometimes I leave the pictures out so I can see them every time I walk by. That causes me to have brain farkles, which leads to ideas! I've had a photo of my dgd out for a few days now, trying to decide what to do with it. She is sitting in her high chair with mac and cheese all over her, including in her hair. I was thinking "macaroni head" but this afternoon it hit me--just "Say Cheese". I pulled my paper and will start on the layout in the morning. Can't wait to finish this one!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mimiof123

I love the "say cheese" - how cute! Absolutely perfect!

I have patterned paper with macaroni and cheese all over it which I am going to use if I ever get a photo of my granddaughter's eating mac and cheese.

Madeline
Veteran
Madeline
In response to Henri Jean

I love Susan Stringfellow's sketches. Her blog is Sketch Savvy, and she not only posts her interpretation of the sketch, but if readers send her images of their layouts using the sketch, she will add them to the post, adding to the inspiration!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Madeline

Karen they are absolutely adorable! Keep sharing with us!

Belldandy
Pro
Belldandy
In response to Sneezy1956

Do a few cards.
They will get your creative "groove", groovin' and it wont be so overwhelming.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics