Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Overwhelmed!        (Topic#1591807)
aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie

So I just finished a huge organizational project designed to help me maximize productivity at an upcoming crop weekend. And now, I am completely overwhelmed by how much I have to do. When I go to a crop, I put together little sets where I've chosen the photos, paper, and sometimes some embellies. I have 38 sets, 80% of which are 2 page spreads. Obviously I won't finish that. Not even close. But man it is overwhelming. And this just gets me through my son's 13th month of life. Aaaaaand he will be 2 in February. Yikes.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to aubrieannie

Don't let yourself be overwhelmed or it won't be fun! My daughter is 22 and now has a kiddo of her own. Guess how much of my DDs pictures I have done... I got her first 13 months done right before she graduated from HS! I do have a school events album finished through her elementary school years that I finished before she started middle school. I also have an album done for vacations we took to California. She loves them all and shows them to her 2 yr old now.
I'm still working on her second year as I have time (which I don't have much of right now) ad pitures of my granddaughter's special events.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to NMlady

I agree. Don't stress!! This hobby relieves stress. I think it's healthy to set reasonable goals. I think it 's fantastic that you are so organized! Bravo!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

Crops are for fun! If you are prepared, and it sounds like you are, you will get more done.

Sometimes at crops I get just a little done because the ladies are talkative and sometimes we take off and go shopping or out to eat. One of the crops furnishes sandwiches which we don't always care for so we take off for Ruby Tuesday's sometimes.

Other times I really focus and get a lot done!

I don't care how much or how little I finish. That would take the fun out of it.

I'm one of the lucky ones - completely retired so at home my husband stays busy doing "manly" things - cutting grass, taking care of our rental properties, fixing things - and I stay home and scrap. He comes in filthy from head to toe when its time to take a shower. Then we hang out in our home office together and I scrap until we go to bed.

But I do make a lot of page kits with me that I have almost to the glue stage. Often I even makes letters and mats and if I'm taking stick-on letters, I even pick which ones. Really little brain work required once I get it to that stage.

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to bonprof

I agree too. Don't stress. I did a book for each of my kids first year, but tried not to do more than one more book for all the pre-school time. When I thought of doing a book a year, I knew my kids would never want 18 albums to go off to college with! :-)

Also, getting a little "behind" helps me gain perspective on what photos to include. When time goes by, some of them don't seem as important any more.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to Frau_Cooney

That is something I've learned over the years: I don't want to scrap every little photo. Some of my other photos are in a Smash book, and some are in a photo safe box. I agree,I don't want to leave 63 albums for my family to lug around. Dont' get me wrong; the many albums I do make, my family cherishes! I just want to be balanced.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

I am one who scraps nearly every picture. I do have a ton of heavy scrap books - over 2,000 pages in 5 years! But... both of my kids want them and I am in the process now of scanning each page and having Snapfish make nice books for me. Then I will take my favorite layouts and consolidate them into nicer scrapbooks and discard all the old ones that are just pictures and a few embellies but not favorites.

I will give friends and family members scrapbooks with the layouts of of them in it so I won't be left with much - just some books of my favorites, mostly from different trips.

Most of our photos are travel stuff and I do want to scrap all of those photos. If they are really close to being duplicate pictures or blurry or not good pictures I don't, but I do scrap about 95% of my photos!

Since I've started printing them, 11' of scrapbooks will fit in about 2' of space! There are some original pages I can't part with but I am making books for my granddaughters and my son and his family and my mom with my original pages.

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to Henri Jean

My other hobby is photography, so I find myself with a LOT of photos. I don't even come close to scrapping them all. I just take a LOT. The ones I don't scrap I just throw into an album. I think I will have less once my son gets a little bit older. I won't be so compelled to do monthly photos.

Frau, you are right about the perspective of being away from the photos a little. I sometimes hand my husband a stack and say "hey, take 3 photos out". It helps.

I suppose I put a bit of pressure on myself because I have so little time to scrap when not at a crop. I work a TON of hours (usually around 50 a week, sometimes more) and have a toddler, so finding time is tough. That's why I have to stay productive! The only time I have to scrap otherwise is time when I should be sleeping. ha.

KarenRC751
New Kid On the Block
KarenRC751

For having a 13 month child you are doing great! I looked at some of your pages and they are wonderful. I love the ones with your baby laying down and these are my favorites.

Take it slow. I wish I had taken more an interest when I was younger. Here I am 62 and only really getting into it so I can have a 4 x 6 album to send my daughter and her fiancee for Christmas.

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney

• aubrieannie Said:

I suppose I put a bit of pressure on myself because I have so little time to scrap when not at a crop. I work a TON of hours (usually around 50 a week, sometimes more) and have a toddler, so finding time is tough. That's why I have to stay productive! The only time I have to scrap otherwise is time when I should be sleeping. ha.

I'm with you on the time thing. It seems I have less and less time as my two kids get older too! (ages 6 & 3). At this point, I am getting one crop a year. And my scrap space is packed up due to construction, so I am not getting anything done and getting farther and farther behind!

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie

Yeah, one crop a year is what I do too! He just keeps getting older...and I keep accumulating more pictures! haha

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

My "goal" was to be caught up by the end of the year and I have nearly 200 pages on my "to do" stack - in folders, in order, photos printed and embellies with them in each file - just need to take them one at a time and decide how to arrange them and get them ready for crop.

Mostly travel photos - Egypt, Istanbul, Transylvania & Dracula's Castle, and about 6 of the Greek Islands still to do.

Then two days ago we decided on almost no notice to go to Hawaii so I'm in Hawaii - my scrap stuff is on my desk at home. Thought we would be here for 2 weeks and then go home so I could still come close to meeting my goal.

Found out yesterday, my husband accepted a job from November 18th through the end of the year which is rare because he is coming out of retirement to do this. The job is in Nevada and he will be taking me with him. That means I won't be home this year to get my 200 pages done!

And now we have a 113 day cruise booked on January 4th so I will barely have time to pack and we will be gone again! Won't be home until the end of April so technically it will be May before I'm home again to catch up and I'm sure I will have at least 300-400 pages on top of the 200 on my stack.

I know we will have a June trip to Rochester, NY and probably go to Boston and Washington and see some other parts of the country then which will put me even further behind!

Yikes! I'm getting dizzy. Hopefully I will finish it all next year. That is my new goal - to be caught up by the end of 2014!

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney

Henri Jean, you need to start digital scrapping! :-)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I do plan to - have already found a photoshop scrapbook tutor but I have to be home to work with her! That is the problem - scheduling the photoshop classes! It will be a private class so scheduling won't be a problem but right now it will be April before I can take the class.

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie

Wow, Henri Jean! That's a LOT of pages! hahaha. And a lot of travels, but what fun you must have. With trips like that, it is no WONDER you have so many pages to scrap.

I don't think I could ever do the transition to digital. I use computers all day at work. I don't like to use them tooooo much when I'm not at the office.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I'm with you! I would never be able to go digital.

Edited by bonprof on 10-29-13 04:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

I plan to continue paper and trimmer pages at home but when we travel for months at a time it would be great to be able to do some digi pages. Right now in Hawaii I'm in the room quite a bit while Bill is out and about working with his license plates. I would love to be able to get some scrapping done but would have to be digi - can't travel with scrap stuff.

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie

Yeah, it would really help you since you do so much traveling, I'm sure. While I couldn't make the switch, I have been contemplating taking the photos I don't scrap, and throwing those into something digital, but I'm talking click and drop...not really digital scrapping.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

Henri; wow you'll be gone a lot. Coming thru Seattle? maybe you should do some digi scrapping while away.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sunnydi

I have a tutor lined up for the digi scrapbooking but I haven't met with her yet. In the mean time I don't have a clue where to start.

Also I have not scanned any of the papers I want to use or embellies so I'm not prepared. I don't want to use kits, they just don't interest me, I want to use my own supplies and scan them in so I just don't have anything to work with.

Bill is going to take me to the scrapbook store - said whenever I want to go - but even though I will buy papers, getting them scanned in will be impossible.

I thought we were going to fly from Hawaii to Nevada so Bill could work for 2 months but I'm not sure the job is going to come together.

Bill said he is okay either way - he was only accepting it to work with some of the guys he worked with on other details who were also Special Forces retirees but I'm not sure the contract is going like the guys putting it together had hoped. So... we may be going home which really would be good.

It would give me a chance to get with the woman who will be teaching me digi scrapbooking using Photoshop.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics