Username Post: Lucky 8 mini punches and combo edges        (Topic#1591925)
Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

HSN had a scrapbooking show last week and I placed an order for a set of 4 punches by We R Memory Keepers. It included 2 Lucky 8 mini punches, and 2 companion edge punches that convert into strip punches. They could be used for punching around any size paper from 6" up, in increments of 2", so it can make square as well as different length rectangular shapes. The price had been greatly reduced to about 1/4 list price, so I went ahead and ordered a set.

I liked the idea of being able to make the various sizes, but later realized I could do the same with the Martha Stewart punch-around-the-page sets.

I received the punches in the mail today and regretted having placed the order. The two combo edge punches were "locked" and I had no strength in my fingers to unlock them. I had to ask my son to do it for me. The combo punches are very heavy and much larger than the comparable Martha Stewart punches. I would have to keep them unlocked in order to be able to use them, although it was easy enough to slide the switch between the edge and trim settings once unlocked.

The punched paper result is very pretty. However, my space is limited, and I have no room to store the large size punches. So regrettably, I will have to return them and pay the return shipping charge.

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to Solitaire

I know what you mean. I bought that set when it was the Today's Special for $49.99! I had split it with my mother, but I ended up with both sets because she couldn't work the levers either. It takes most of my hand strength to work them, because they are very difficult. I don't even lock them.

They are heavy and do take up a lot of room, so that's why I canceled the auto-ship for the rest of them when they were the Special. Beautiful results, but not very easy to operate, store, or transport. I think that's why they were on clearance last week.

Veteran
In response to Scrapjanny

Oh heavens! I ordered them today. They have them marked down to $19.95, which is a great price for 4 nice, large punches. If they are going to be hard or awkward to work, I guess I didn't do so well! I suppose I will find out in a few days!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mimiof123

I have 8 of the full sized punches and love them. So easy to use. I haven't tried the smaller ones but I love the larger ones. I just need to use them more!

Give them a chance - you may love them like I love mine. I wouldn't part with mine.

bears99
Diva
bears99
In response to Henri Jean

I got mine in the mail today. After I unlocked them I played just for a bit. I don't think they are very hard to push. Maybe a little stiff, but I am wondering if they will loosen up?

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to bears99

It's not that they are hard to push. In fact, they punch very easily. The problem is trying to flip the switch on the border punch and/or to store them. They are beautiful and are very easy to press down.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo

I saw someone showing hanging them individually by nail on their wall. Storage was one of the reasons I was reluctant to buy any.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Solitaire

I have a lot of the mini 8 sets. I wish they'd just ship them unlocked..I'd happily pay more. None of mine are hard to use and I love the results. Yes, storage can be an issue. I toss mine in a basket under my table.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sunnydi

I have the big Lucky 8 punches and they go in a file cabinet drawer with all the big Marvy circle punches.

The Martha Stewart and EK Success and Fiskars punches are on a display shelf - about 35 of them.

Veteran
In response to Henri Jean

Mystery is solved! I got my punches in the mail and was baffled about how to unlock them. I couldn't slide that switch for anything! I then went on Youtube (my go-to for almost anything) and found a video about how to unlock them. You simply turn them upside down on a non-slip surface, push down on them so the handle is pressed down, and slide the switch. It is a piece of cake! I knew there had to be an easy way to do it!

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to Mimiof123

• Mimiof123 Said:
Mystery is solved! I got my punches in the mail and was baffled about how to unlock them. I couldn't slide that switch for anything! I then went on Youtube (my go-to for almost anything) and found a video about how to unlock them. You simply turn them upside down on a non-slip surface, push down on them so the handle is pressed down, and slide the switch. It is a piece of cake! I knew there had to be an easy way to do it!

Mine aren't that easy. I watched the videos, but I couldn't budge them, and even my husband had a hard time unlocking them. I don't lock them anymore. I must have gotten a defective set or something. Glad yours are easier.

Edited by Scrapjanny on 11-09-13 05:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

Mine work fine. They are big to store.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to pinkpaperairedale

The size of the punch is an issue for me. There is one that I like but I never ordered it after I saw one. Unless I get more storage space I probably won't. I have a lot of punches that I'm happy with so I can be selective now.

Veteran
In response to CrimsonMama

I got some cheapo towel bars from WalMart and hung them above my desk. The punches hang nicely on them, so storage isn't an issue. I hang the big ones up and the smaller ones go into clear plastic shoeboxes, according to manufacturer. My Fiskars ones are waaaay on the bottom! It seems like every time I use one of them, it breaks. I will certainly won't replace any of those!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Mimiof123

While we are on the subject - has anyone used Martha's circle punches?? how are they compared to Lucky 8?

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to OlesyaK.

I love all the Martha Stewart punches, and have most of the circle punches. They can cut circles in sizes from 6 inches up to 12 inches, in increments of one inch. All you need is the starter set, which can be stored in a plastic shoe box along with 7 different cartridges, or just 8 cartridges in one box.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics