Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Sure Cuts a Lot        (Topic#1591989)
Veteran

Does anyone have and use the Sure Scraps a Lot program with their Cricut? I've seen it advertised and am wondering if it's a good thing or just a waste of money. I can't find anything that says it's compatible with Windows 8. Any suggestions or advice?

southgirl
Resident
southgirl
In response to Mimiof123

I think there was a lawsuit against Surecuts and Cricut has made their machine to not work with that program. I could be wrong.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to southgirl

You are right, unless it's an old Cricut that hasn't been updated, those should still work.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to ChansGram

My cricut is updated and works just fine with SCAL2. You just can't run both SCAL2 and CCR at the same time. However, finding SCAL2 will be very difficult as previously mentioned, SCAL was sued by PC over copyright violation.

Veteran
In response to GwynnAsbury

Actually, I saw SCAL on Amazon and was wondering about it. Sure would save tons of money!

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to Mimiof123

Hehehe, you must be a PC user.... I know the MAC ones are impossible to get a hold of....

Veteran

Yes, I am a PC user! I am too old to learn anything else...although Windows 8 has been a challenge.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Mimiof123

Good luck with it but I think you will find that if you have updated your cricut at all it won't work. I know most people lost their ability to cut with it after the last update.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Sneezy1956

considering the cost and the risks involved of it not working,,,,,,

it's probably just cheaper and safer to buy a new machine like the silhouette that can use one of those type of programs.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to CommaHolly

This is true. you can pick up a portrait which will come with it's own software for not much more than purchasing the SCAL program......

Veteran

OK. Y'all talked me out of it. I have tons of Cricut cartridges and love CCR. I just thought it might be fun to try something new, but I am now convinced that it's not broken and I won't fix it! LOL

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mimiof123

I love CCR too - have thought about getting a Silhouette but right now I'm loving Cricut and CCR.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Henri Jean

I heard on the veggie board that Provo craft is in talks with Scal since they are losing a big share of their market.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to Sneezy1956

I LOVE SCAL, and to be honest, the original suit was never filed against SCAL - it was filed against MTC after an update that allowed their consumers to rip images off of cricut cartridges and then share the files........ makes sense why they went after both companies........ With that said

My cricut is up to date, and it still works fine with SCAL. I have the original expression. If there is an update the fixes the compatibility, it clearly didn't work for me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Is using SCAL anything like using Cricut Craft Room - do you hook the computer to the Cricut?

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

Yep you hook the cricut up to your computer. And personally, I think SureCuts a Lot is less glitchy than CCR - I use them for very different purposes obviously. I go through phases where I want cartridges, phases of SVGs, and phases of dies......

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

If Cricut and SCAL work out something I think I would like to try it. I'm not terribly computer literate so it does scare me a bit.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

If you can figure out how to hit the "buy" button for digital files and then import SVG (which is a button in SCAL) then you will be fine.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I did not know there was an SVG button - I've watched utubes on converting SVG files and it was WAY over my head. A simple button - I can handle that.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

converting SVG files is a totally different story. Most of the places that sell cut files for the Silhouette will include an SVG file when you download. Then it's just a matter of importing the SVG to SCAL.

HOWEVER, one caveat..... the cuts with the cricut through SCAL are sometimes a little distorted I think because the Cricut wasn't designed to do this? I have seen some reviews that show the silhouette making more true to design cuts as compared to the cricut.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics