Username Post: First cutter?        (Topic#1592137)
bonprof
Diva
bonprof

If I were to buy a cutting machine, which one is good for beginners and someone who is not really good with computers?

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to bonprof

With what you said, the cricut. Everything is cartridge based. And at the same time I would say a manual die cutter and invest in dies......

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GwynnAsbury

The easiest to use is the Slice. I have a Slice and I love it. Its small enough to take to crops too. You don't have to know anything about computers to operate a slice.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to Henri Jean

If you aren't that good with computers. Maybe look into what the two ladies above said. A Cricut or a Slice machine. Or maybe think about getting a cuttle bug. I think some dies like Tim Holtz can fit in them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to justartguy007

Cuttlebug or Big Shot are both good. They are both manual which is nice - can be used anywhere. Big Shot is heavy to take to crops but a lot of croppers take them anyway. So many pretty dies for them.

Cricut and Slice will give you more options with numbers and letters and a great assortment of images.

Big Shot or Cuttlebug will give you very clean cuts and will emboss too.

If you make cards the Big Shot or Cuttlebug are almost a necessity!

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

I would even suggest the eBosser - which can handle the sizzix original size dies AND doe 8.5x12 sheets of paper.

Another option if you are looking to spend the money is a Sizzix Big Shot Pro, which can take 12x12 dies............ Dies are always a nice place to start because you get options and it's a cheaper investment sometimes than getting a machine you won't use.....

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram

I'm going to go in a different direction and say the Silhouette.
Yes, it is computer based but it is not in the least hard to use.
Click on an image, it drops to your screen, you pull the arrow to make it the size you want and you cut. Easy as can be. Now of coarse a does so much more- but you don't have to know how to do all that to use it.
It is the cheapest machine to own in the long run.

I have invested thousands in my Cricut family,
Had I known about the silhouette I would have never started the Cricut collection. The cart collecting gets expensive after a while!

The other machines like the Cuttlebug and BigKick/shot are nice, there too, the dies are expensive and always limit your size, but they do give great cuts!

The Slice, I don't have. I don't even know if they are still being made. But I do remember reading a lot where many had troubles with theirs.

My favorite right now is (well, after my Silhouette) is the Cricut mini- you can get one for just under $100 and use it with the free CCR program. Computer based program but very easy to use and they give freebies all the time (to use).

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ChansGram

I saw the ebosser demonstrated. If I buy another machine - that is it! WOW! Very impressive machine but I'm not sure how much I would use it for scrapbooking. If I could justify it by saying I would use it a lot, I would buy it immediately!

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

Bon- what types of materials do you want to cut? What do you want to use it for?

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I think I would just cut basic card stock to make letters and borders, simple shapes.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

For letters I would say a Cricut, Silhouette or Slice. The Slice is the easiest but won't weld like the Cricut or Silhouette.

For borders the Cricut is not as good - not many image go a full 12" for the width of the paper. Slice doesn't do borders either.

I think Silhouette does but someone will have to chime in to let you know for sure.

There are great border dies for Cuttlebug or Big Shot or any of the type of machines.

However, for borders I go to my punches.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

Ok, thanks. I do have a very good cm border punch.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to bonprof

If I remember correctly, there should be some scrapbook stores down in your neck of the woods. You may want to try them and see if they have any of the die cutting options to try - see which one you like. Because you would want to make titles and simple shapes, I would suggest the Cricut. However, be warned that you will have the urge to learn what you can do with whatever machine you get - meaning even if you won't use all the capabilities when you get it, you will want to. So you need to decide if you will be okay with sticking with "cart content" only, or if you will want to be able to purchase files from the internet.

Another option would be to see if you can find a used cricut that works for cheap.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

Thanks for all the help! The biggest part of me does not want to buy one. I'm afraid it will be one more toy to obsess over...

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to bonprof

I would recommend the Eclips. It is cartridge based BUT you can also use SVG files if you so choose to. It is very easy to use and the cuts are crisp and clean. It can cut a lot of materials...

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to HisGEM

You know, I had a Cricuit, and NEVER used it. So, I sold it. I just didn't like doing anything computerized with my scrappin!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to aubrieannie

I'm right there with you!! Computers mean "work to me".

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics