Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Smelly Paper!        (Topic#1592139)
dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

I received an order yesterday that had two sheets of the paper below. This paper smells to high heaven! I know it's because it's coated and embossed and glittered. I've had a similar problem with a paper pack I got from a store once. These sheets came in a sealed package of other individual sheets of paper I had ordered and when I open the package the smell was immediately overwhelming! Now I can smell the paper in half of my house. Has anyone else ever had this problem and is there anything I can do to make the smell go away?
Products Referenced in This Post:

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to dsouza

Yes! I tried airing it out in the garage. Tried spraying perfume on it, nothing. I ended up throwing it away because I didn't want it stinking up my other stuff.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to AmyWho

I have found it helpful to put papers like this outside on my deck .

bonprof
Governor
bonprof
In response to dsouza

I thought you were talking about good smells. I love the smell of patterned paper!!

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to bonprof

I thought good smells as well and immediately thought of my stacks of graphic45......

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to dsouza

Yes, I had some Bo Bunny that was heavy glitter and I think was hot off the press. The dies in it were very smelly. Sometimes they need to air out. It makes one wonder how photo safe it actually is.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to CrimsonMama

I had some smelly glitter paper and I put it in a box with crumpled up newspaper. I did not take the smell competely away but it did it enough so I could use it.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to southgirl

Glitter paper! Yes I've had stinky glitter paper. It was awful fresh out of the packet, but not too bad once it was brought out and used. I'll admit I only used it on cards though, as I didn't trust its archival qualities.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to southgirl

Oh that's interesting to know about the newspaper. I usually keep clean newspaper for packing around so I can lay it down when I am misting...I will try that next time. The Bo Bunny was from Archivers and they had JUST unpacked it fresh from manufacturing. It eventually aired out but if you want to use it right away...

andtyler
Guru
andtyler

I just returned a stack of Teresa Collins to M's for that reason. I left it in the garage over nite and it still smells like chemicals. If I add it to my stash then my stash will stink. This is why I don't buy dCWV with glittery finishes.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to andtyler

I have a TON of DCWV and none of it smells. I think it is how soon you get it after it is printed.

Edited by CrimsonMama on 11-09-13 11:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

..... I like the smell.........

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to GwynnAsbury

Me too. I love the smell of fresh Basic Grey in the mornings...

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 11-09-13 03:58 PM
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Bounce sheets worked with stinky sticker sheets I had once.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to J-M

Going to suggest like Jenn seal it in a bag with bounce or another fabric softener sheet and it will absorb the odor.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Sneezy1956

Thank you all for these excellent suggestions! And I agree that it is hard to believe that paper that has this much of a chemical smell could be archival quality!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to dsouza

I have to share a follow up story about my "smelly paper"! Taking the advice of several of you who responded I took the offending pages out to the garage and put them in the first place I came to - the roof of my car. It did occur to me that I risked driving off with the pages still on top of my car but I thought, "oh, no - I'll see those pieces of paper when I get in my car later today". Sure enough, I was out running some errands later yesterday afternoon and remembered that I hadn't seen the pages on top of the car and they were likely in a ditch somewhere. I decided that maybe it was just meant for me to lose the sheets that way because I would have had a difficult time throwing away two new (and honestly, extrememly cute!) sheets of paper just because they smelled! So, I reconciled the loss in my mind and went about completing my errands. Upon returning home yesterday I half heartedly looked around to see if by any chance the sheets had fallen off in our driveway or on the garage floor, but no sheets in sight. In my mind I'm thinking, "Good riddance!". This morning I slept in while my husband got ready and went to church. When I finally got out of bed I made a cup of coffee and came into my scrapbook room/office to use the computer. Guess what was lying on top of my computer? THOSE STINKING SHEETS OF PAPER!! They either walked back home or my husband found them somewhere this morning! He's still at church so I don't know where they were but they are both in perfect condition. It has to be a sign!! So, I have reconciled this morning to the fact that these two sheets of paper are home to stay and they are my burden to bear. I will try and air them out some more (where ever they were yesterday did do them some good! The smell level has gone down a notch!) and will definitely use them in a layout. If for no other reason, just so I can smile whenever I see that page!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dsouza

That is a great story! Sounds like a meant-to-be story. I like the idea of putting them in a plastic bag with fabric softner sheets. That sounds like it could work!

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to Henri Jean

That's really funny. Confession - I've been sniffing my Graphic45 paper ALLLLLLL day, it's almost as good as magnum markers. Almost.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to GwynnAsbury

Oh I love the smell of G45 and have so much trouble tearing into a package of it. I have like 4 collections in my drawer just do't want to tear into them just want to fondle them

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics