Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Cricut Expression question        (Topic#1592169)
creater1
Diva
creater1

Is the Cricut Expression still available or did they replace it with the Cricut Expression 2?

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to creater1

It should still be available. The website shows them selling one in black and a refurbished one for super cheap.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to GwynnAsbury

Jackie, you're not thinking of buying one, are you?!!!

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to ChansGram

I don't think they are manufacturing new Expression machines. If you do find them, they are just the remaining stock or refurbished machines. I still have my original E that has been going strong for about 5 years.

NMscrapper
Mayor
NMscrapper
In response to Scrapjanny

I bought a refurbished one on eBay because I was just beginning and didn't know if I'd like it. Still using it! Good price, still available on eBay.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to NMscrapper

I imagine they will replace the Expression with the Expression 2, it's the way of evolution I guess? I haven't heard anything bad about the Expression 2, it pretty much is the same thing with potentially more capabilities. I have heard it is WiFi possible, and the last time I checked they had not been able to get the WiFi thingy to work.......

creater1
Diva
creater1

No Trish I am not looking to buy one I still have one left and have not sold it yet.
I will eventually once all my cartridges are gone.

The reason I was asking is that I see and hear many that are not happy or are intimated by all the screens on the Cricut 2.

I know technology is changing but there are lots of people who still like to push a button and no have to scroll through screens and find a function. I was just wondering if PC was going to cut the first Expression out and it sounds like they are.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to creater1

A friend has the Expression 2 and I can't get it to cut right like my old Expression much better. I've not tried since I started using the craft room but I think I'll try hers with my craft room and see if that cuts better.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Sneezy1956

I love my E, but I do everything on my gypsy. Love that thing for sure!!

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to SherylEb

I love my Gypsy, too, Ms Sheryl! From most of the posts I've seen around, you and I may be the only people on the planet that actually like the Gypsy, lol. I use mine all the time, never have had any trouble with it, and the best part for me, I don't have to go near the computer to use it. After working a jillion years in front of a computer, the last thing I want to do when I go in my craft room is sit in front of the darned computer!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to chocolateaxel

HATE HATE HATE my gypsy! Never made friends with it.

When I asked Cricut about a question about my Gypsy last month they told me they weren't making them anymore and were not going to be upgrading them much longer.

I really wanted to love it - bought the purse for it and all kind of accessories but just couldn't deal with all the tiny screens and going back and forth.

I understand about not wanting to go home after sitting at a computer all day and then sitting at a computer again. My ex-husband was a morning drive disc jockey on the west coast (went into politics and was speaker of the California Assembly for 2 terms right after we divorced).

Anyway when he was a disc jockey in Miami and then in California when we were married (9 1/2 years) he refused to have a stereo system in the house. Said he played records all day - was not going to go home and play more records.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to Henri Jean

I have the original Expression and the Gypsy. My Gypsy works perfectly and I have all my cartridges (about 200) linked to it. I upgrade the Gypsy software when necessary, and never had a problem. However, I may not be buying any more of the newer carts, as I have more than I will ever use right now. Also, if Provocraft stops upgrading the Gypsy software, it will no longer be possible to link any of the new carts.

I really have no room to place both the cricut and a computer next to each other. Right now I don't even have room for the cricut and have to keep it in a carrying case on the floor, so it's a hassle every time I need to set it up. In addition, I don't like the idea of using the computer (Craft Room) to create layouts for the cricut. I spend enough time on the computer as it is, and prefer working with my hands. That's why I have an extensive collection of paper punches and dies, which I prefer to use instead of the cricut.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Solitaire

My best friend in Ocala loves her Gypsy too! She used it constantly but gave in last month and got a Silhouette because she likes the cuts better and I admit, they are crisper and cleaner than my Cricut will do.

200 cartridges! WOW! I have about 20 and I don't use them as much as I should - have a few favorites and the others are pretty much neglected although I'm using them more with the craft room.

I am in Hawaii right now and I've already pulled up craftroom on my computer several times and spent a few minutes making titles. When I get home I'll just cut them out quickly.

I'm never hooked up to my Cricut when I work on Craftroom - I just hook it up for a few minutes and cut what I need. Like the Gypsy - I don't have it hooked up when I did titles on it - only when I cut.

I like using my hands for my layouts too but I cannot make titles and weld them except with the computer or Gypsy and I like that finishing touch. The rest of the layouts I can do by hand.

The Cricut Craft room is very much like the gypsy - almost identical except everything is on one screen and it is larger so you can see what you are doing. Also, to weld there is a backspace key that moves all the letters at once so they are perfect the first time. I've never wasted a piece of cardstock testing size or seeing how it will cut. Works the first time because you have a better view of the actual size it will be on the screen.

But you don't keep the computer hooked up to the Cricut, only when you are cutting and that just takes a second. Actually, the Cricut Craftroom is a lot of fun.

We are in Hawaii - when I have time in the room at night I make do titles so I can do layouts when I get home. I'll hook up the Cricut and Computer for 15 minutes and cut them all out at once.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl

I agree with you guys, I like my Gypsy and have finally made friends with my E2. My problem was "user error" And I agree, linking my E's with a computer is just not a good idea. I am not all the computer educated and still FEAR virus's. Now that I have found great paper to cut I am a Happy Camper.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to southgirl

Loved my gypsy but I have to keep it plugged in all the time to get it to work so have went to the craft room. Thinking about the Cameo or shiloutte just because you can stamp your stamps and then scan them so that you can cut around all of your stamps so you can cut them out

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Sneezy1956

Hmm, that stamping thing sounds interesting!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to ChansGram

I just used my Silhouette to do just that. I stamped, scanned it and then did a print & cut. Then I used the same cut shape to cut the Silhouette adhesive magnet sheets. After adhering my shape I did the print & cut on to the magnet of the same shape, I covered it with glossy accents. Now I have an adorable custom magnet.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to flintridgescrapper

I had no idea you could do that with the Silhouette.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

I am gonna chime in here. I love my Gypsy - sometimes more than CCR because the system is more user friendly. If they stop offering support for the Gypsy, I would be VERY VERY angry.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

You can do the same thing the Scan and Cut does with the Silhouette - you can print register marks on the paper and the Silhouette will pick them up and cut around the image. There should be some tutorials on YouTube about it.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics