Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Total loss of mojo....        (Topic#1592199)
*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*

I have scrapbooked off and on since I was in high school (late 90's) and I've went through periods where I was very active and others where I was not. I know that is normal, but over the weekend I had a very sad discovery... I realized that I think it might be time to give it up for good. It makes me sad to be around my supplies. I have three gift albums in progress, and it drove me to tears to even think about working on them. I feel like there is no point; I don't do anything that is worth scrapbooking (seriously, my bf and I are pretty much hermits and we're ok with that) and furthermore I have no family and no kids so it just seems like spending a lot of effort on something that will be thrown away someday. I don't really know why I'm posting about this, maybe someone else has gotten to the same point and come back from it. Has anyone been this far down the lost mojo road?

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to *jesse*

I felt so sad reading this. I hope you'll just store away your supplies because someday you will have something to scrap. I wouldn't worry about a lost mojo...it seems the harder I search for my lost mojo the farther away it goes. Just don't think about and someday you may get an inspiration. You never know.
and who says you have to make layouts...make cards...or layouts with just journaling how you feel.
Or like I said just forget it for awhile.

Tenant
In response to dollscrap

I agree with the above poster.....put it all in a box and see what happens in the coming months, etc. Everyone loses their mojo, mine certainly comes and goes. I hope you don't give it up completely, when your mojo returns you may find you like it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to amysoto

I'm agreeing too. Just put it away. Something will come up that makes you want to scrap.

So what if there is no one to leave it too. You can't look at it like that. My kids will get mine but that doesn't mean they won't pitch it in the trash.

The main reason I scrap is so when my husband and I get old (older) we will have the memories to enjoy and relive. I'm doing it for us.

I say I want the grandkids to get to know us through my pages and stories but then may not care or even be a little bit interested.

I scrap for my husband and me to enjoy when we can't do things anymore.

Just hang on to the stuff. Something will happen in your life that you want to remember and relive someday.

You post is just so sad.

If you went to high school in the late 90's you are still young. All kinds of things can and will happen in your life - really good things you want to remember.

My life was pretty boring and then when I was 57 years old - everything changed and I suddenly had the life I never in a million years dreamed I would have! Life takes sharp changes and they can be wonderful changes even if you don't get out much now and the two of you live like hermits.

Keep you supplies, pack them up if you have too. But don't sell them or get rid of them. You will probably want them again.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to amysoto

I'm sorry you feel this way. I too have no kids, so I scrapbook my dog. I have scrapbooks of my past dogs and they bring me happiness to look through them and remember how I loved them.
I don't get to travel much, so don't have a lot of pictures, I have a very small family and we seldom do anything together that we snap pics of.
But I love scrapbooking, making cards, art journals, mixed media projects, gift albums for friends, etc. For me it isn't about leaving a legacy but about tapping into my inner artist and as stress relief.
I hope you take a moment to reflect your reasons for even starting this hobby before you get rid of everything. You may find that you're simply in a bad place right now but that could change and you might miss this outlet.

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to chocolateaxel

If you feel that way, why not try some art journaling???? That's all about being creative for YOU and not focused on photos or events at all.

southgirl
Resident
southgirl
In response to aubrieannie

Yes art journaling is so much fun! Go to youtube and type in Dylusions Spray Ink. I got rid of most of my scrapbooking stuff about 10 years back. The I found things I wanted to say and started all over again. Paper crafting sort of got me going.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to southgirl

Excellent advice from everyone!!!

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to *jesse*

You are a valuable person with interests and strengths.Your life is worth scrapbooking!! Don't compare yourself to any other. You might meet someone that would totally want to know more about you and want to enjoy your scrapbooks. I haven't lost my mojo, but someday it might happen. Don't give up!! "This too shall pass".

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Diva
AmyWho
In response to bonprof

I've felt the same way and still when I really think about it, I get the same feelings. I don't do much anymore, no kids, no bf, and nobody to leave the books to. I still manage to be behind in my scrapping. Don't do it for a long while if it brings you so much grief though. I hadn't scrapped for about 3 years and just recently have wanted to again. Now I look forward to it.

Edited by AmyWho on 11-12-13 06:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to AmyWho

I would hang on to it also. If you like the creative process, just make some cards. You can always donate them to cards for soldiers. Art journals are really fun too.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to SherylEb

I put mine away for several years and it really helped. I would suggest to try that for a while Please!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Sneezy1956

No kids here either. That was one of the questions I asked when I first began this "what's the point if I have nobody to pass it all on to?" I was told to do it for the fun, for the art-work, for the joy of working with pretty things, for myself. So I did.

Sometimes I have dry periods. That's OK, I just do something else until the mojo comes back: making candles, soap, interior decorating.

Those gift albums that are bugging you so much - put them away, out of sight. In the loft or cellar. They are probably sapping your emotional energy.

Why not make cards with all the pretty things you have? There are such beautiful creations out there on Pinterest and in the Gallery. There are challenges and contests that might rekindle your inspiration, and cards are for giving away, not cluttering up your home. They are quick, easy and satisfying. Operation Write Home will take them, and you'd be doing something really worth-while.

If even the thought of that bothers you, then absolutely box everything up and revel in the new-found clear space. Do something else instead, something you love. Above all, be happy.

southgirl
Resident
southgirl
In response to RedSquirrel

I am sitting here thinking about "passing it on" My eldest son might want some of my scrapbooks but his fiance would not. My eldest daughter might but her home life is uncertain. SO I make those books for me. If (and it is a possibility) thet get thrown away after I am gone...so be it. I think I make them because I can.

Edited by southgirl on 11-13-13 06:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to southgirl

Thank you so much for your suggestions... I most likely will put it aside for awhile. For a time, I had the same thought as Rosey; I'm just doing this for fun, it doesn't matter. It's really become such a chore to even go and find a topic to scrapbook though. This year I've scrapped exactly 2 LOs, there wasn't anything else interesting enough to work on. Maybe I am just in an ugly spot I need to get out of.

I have heard of art journaling and it does seem interesting. I am so not a card maker though, LOL.

Veteran
In response to *jesse*

I think we all go through "blue funks" as my dad used to call them! I really, really hope you are feeling better. I work on my albums for me! I know my kids will get them when I'm gone, but I really don't think they will treasure them like I do. By then, I will be in heaven and I won't care! Why don't you take a day trip to somewhere around your town? Sometimes seeing something through different eyes helps me. We are all here for you! Sometimes I scrap silly things, like a new dish I cook. I guess the worst thing I've done is a street sign! It was funny because the streets crossed each other and the street names were the names of 2 friends. I am easily amused, though! I scrap my dogs, my cats, my cars, books I read, a new piece of furniture, a great Goodwill find and occasionally my family. Hope you are able to see things in a new light soon!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mimiof123

I've seen people scrap books, movies, tv shows, musical artists and bands.

I've scrapped dishes I've made too - even scrapped a page once about my Southern lemonade!

I sometimes just scrap a page with a funny story on it - no photos.

One rather strange page I did - I did a layout on the time we ran out of gas! It was fun. Also we love See's Candy and I did a fun page using the flyer from See's that they have in the stores.

TJCraftyWitch
Governor
TJCraftyWitch
In response to Henri Jean

Jesse have you ever though of making it into like a work of art, use the paper designs themselves along with embellishments and words, and maybe some journaling to do a 3-d art page, put it on a chipboard piece, or canvas, modgepodge it. Hang them on the walls, put them on mini easels as decorative designs that make you happy. Do ones for the seasons if you like. Look at it as creating art, you don't have to have an occasion to create a page. Look at nature or other things that interest you and incorporate them into your creative side when you get the inclination to work on stuff again. We all go through funks of not feeling creative.

Isbaha
Isbaha 
Veteran
Isbaha
In response to TJCraftyWitch

I have only boys and I'm sure they won't keep my albums. I make them for me.
You don't have to scrap events, you can scrap so much more than that ! Your feelings, your history, your childhood, the changes of seasons, your routine, your pet, your daily life, anything !
I usually use photos of my kids, but actually, it's also the process that I enjoy (if not, I would only put the photos in an album and write my comments on the side ! I do scrapbooking because the pretty stuff and the fun process give me lots of joy).

If you don't feel to scrapbook, don't. Do something else ! Or try a challenge. Try a class. Try to scraplift something you love ?

crystalmorse
Guru
crystalmorse
In response to Isbaha

I started scrapbooking in high school. In college I met what I thought was the love of my life. We had an exciting 7 years together. We vacationed everywhere and I felt like everything needed to be placed in my scrapbook. I worked tirelessly on them and had numerous complete when I found out that the last two years of that relationship he had a second family. There are not words for how I felt. I threw everything out and destroyed all of those scrapbooks. It has been 5 years and I recently married someone else and have two step children. I feel like I have a reason to scrap again.

But I regret getting rid of anything. I remember feeling like I would never take another picture and never have anything exciting to remember again. That's why I did it. But I wish I could still look at those books. Some of those vacations are places I will probably never go again. And all of those supplies...oye!!

Don't get rid of it. Pack it away. One day you will want to get out a stamp for something and then maybe another day a punch and then you will realize you are scrapping again.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics