Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: Total loss of mojo....        (Topic#1592199)
crystalmorse
Guru
crystalmorse
In response to crystalmorse

Maybe you should try one of the swaps. They are really fun and some of them are like making ornaments.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

I want to respond to this post. I've been going through a very difficult, stressful time the last couple of months. My son and his wife are divorcing and they have a 13 month daughter. My son is my only child and my granddaugher is my only grandchild. My daugher-in-law has moved back to her hometown which is about an hour and a half away from us. My son is still in the area where we live - at least for now. They are working on a joint custody arrangement. When they told us the marriage was over I pretty much fell off the edge for a few days. I couldn't even go to work. I just cried and mourned the loss of my life as it had been. Interestingly, one of the first thoughts that popped into my head was "I'll never scrapbook another page as long as I live!" I mentally packed everything up in the room and stored it out of sight. I think it's interesting that when we're at a really low point in our life some of us want to deny ourselves the very things that give us pleasure. Maybe we feel like we don't deserve to be happy ever again. The good news is that I am back to more of my normal self and I'm so glad I didn't do anything rash! I am hoping to get back into my scrapbook space this coming weekend even if it's only for a few hours. So to the original poster please know that you won't feel this way forever even though I know it seems like you will. If you think you might be suffering from depression, please seek out help from your physician! And don't deny yourself the little pleasures in life like a beautiful piece of paper, a really cool embellishment or a new adhesive you really, really love! I'll be thinking of you. And posting this was good therapy for me, too, so thank you!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to dsouza

Thank you for sharing!! I've been taking medication for depression for many years. Without it, I'd be lost. When I get under stress, my scrapbooking is the one of the main things that heals me. It is a spiritiual connection for me.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to dsouza

Oh wow, so much pain. I'm sorry.

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens

I don't have kids either. I scrap for the creating part of it and the "telling a story" part. I am just starting our "Remodeling Album" on our house. We live in the house my husband grew up in and are "remodeling as we go", you know save and then do. I do go through periods, months at a time, that I don't even touch my stuff. But after these down time spurts I seem to have more ideas. I do hope you hang on to your stuff, but like the others have said, maybe take a break and try something different for a while.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

Hang in there. Buy some pretty decorative boxes and put your things away. You could even put some fabric over them and use the stack of boxes like a little table. Thinking of you and hoping that the joy of playing with paper and scissors finds its way back to you.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to dsouza

Thanks for sharing your story... glad it made you feel better to do so!

I think I'm just in a really transitional period right now. About a year ago, I broke up with my bf of 6 years which turned extremely nasty to the point police have been involved (as recently as a month ago), I'm really unhappy at work, my granparents, who are the only family I have, are declining rapidly, my best buddy, my 10.5 year old Rottweiler, is also declining, and I've been recently diagnosed with ADD so my doctor has been trying me on different medicines. The bright spot is that my new bf is absolutely wonderful... I'd be lost without him.

Thanks for all of your support and listening.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to *jesse*

I'm so glad you have a wonderful boyfriend! It's so special when we have a wonderful husband/boyfriend or significant other in our lives! I loved being single but I'm loving being part of a couple even more.

Maybe there will be things you two do together you will want to scrap later. Some of the best things to scrap or the little things in life because the little things can make the most.

I scrapped one page of us putting a jig-saw puzzle together and plan to do one of a tv show we really love and are watching the DVDs. I love to scrap stories of the silly things he does and he says that when I scrap these things it shows him how much I love him because he knows these little things mean a lot to me.

Just put stuff away, when and if you feel like scrapping, get your stuff out. I think you will feel like scrapping again!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Henri Jean

I am kind of in the same boat. Married no kids, life feels blah compared to my friends. I don't have the fabulous trips to Cancun or 10 people at my house for Thanksgiving either.

I too felt guilty for having all these cool supplies and feeling like I had nothing to scrap. My stuff sat untouched for years.

What I ended up doing this past year was starting project life type stuff. Doesn't have to be as rigid as once per day, weekly, monthly whatever you like is fine.

I found it got me at least taking some more pictures of everyday life, and at least cutting up paper using glue and my stickers. Not as fancy as regular scrapbooking but I at least feel better about using my supplies, instead of letting them just sit there.

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to quietgirl255

My neighbor had several aunts that either never got married or never had kids, in their day they were quite the social ladies. The last one passed this last year and Annette, along with her brother, had the task of cleaning out the house. In with her belonging there was an old scrapbook, one that her Aunt made when she was much much younger. I ooohh'd and aaahhhh'd over that whole book! What fun it was to look at cards, letters, envelopes, pictures, that were over 75 years old. I did not know any of the people in the pictures but the history of the family and the town they lived in was a pleasure to see.
Just the everyday things is a girls/ladies life, but what history for people to enjoy years down the road. So don't give up and don't give it all away just yet. There are so many things in our life that we might not think is exciting or important but who know what someone else might enjoy, even if it ends up in an antique store some day!!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Sewflake

Jesse. I completely understand. You don't feel you have a lot to showcase at the moment, so naturally scrap-booking may not seem like a suitable therapy. But you will want to remember your grand-parents, and your dog of course, so keep taking photos and recording stories. You may decide to scrap them one day when your meds have been stabilised and you're in a happier situation. I hope that things improve for you very soon.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to RedSquirrel

Losing mojo like that is a hard place to be. There are times that I just look at my stuff and just walk away. I'll go several weeks without scrapping - and I don't have a husband, significant other, or kids. Just my mom, who lives with me, and my cats. I scrap about them, and I especially do cards for friends and family. They're tiny little LOs that keep me in the game when I'm not feeling the scrappy love.

But don't push it if you don't feel it. Just walk away and wait for another day in the future for the mojo to hit you again. The worst thing would be for you to get rid of all your stash and then decide later on that you're really wanting to do it again. Pack it up, move on ... and then come back!

You'll be in my thoughts....

And I'm another one of those people that can honestly say, "Better living through chemistry!" I'd be lost without my meds!!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Sewflake

• Sewflake Said:
My neighbor had several aunts that either never got married or never had kids, in their day they were quite the social ladies. The last one passed this last year and Annette, along with her brother, had the task of cleaning out the house. In with her belonging there was an old scrapbook, one that her Aunt made when she was much much younger. I ooohh'd and aaahhhh'd over that whole book! What fun it was to look at cards, letters, envelopes, pictures, that were over 75 years old. I did not know any of the people in the pictures but the history of the family and the town they lived in was a pleasure to see.
Just the everyday things is a girls/ladies life, but what history for people to enjoy years down the road. So don't give up and don't give it all away just yet. There are so many things in our life that we might not think is exciting or important but who know what someone else might enjoy, even if it ends up in an antique store some day!!

I love this post!!!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to dsouza

Sewflake, eventually that scrapbook of your ancestors should go to a local museum...I'm sure they would love it...we have a collection of scrapbooks from the late 1800s in our archives at the museum I work in...

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12

why don't you make pages as decor? then it doesn't need pics and it's not getting shoved into a book, you can enjoy it all the time.

when you are ready to start coming out of the lost mojo, there are things you can do.

-make anything. don't use pics. you probably won't like it, but it gets you started.

-scrap your life now. take pics of you and your bf doing everyday stuff. those are some of my favorite LOs i ever made.

-make a point to get out and do something with your bf. even if its a family gathering, it will give you some 'thing' to scrap.

good luck.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Lamoo12

I'm thinking the same thing Melanie. Just a trip to the park or to the zoo can make for pages and pages of wonderful layouts.

My son and I hate mustard - my husband loves it. I opened the cabinet one day to find "hazardous waste" stickers my son made stuck all over the mustard squeeze bottle. Made a great layout.

One day last year I went in the kitchen and there was a huge turkey - standing about 3' tall - at my back sliding door. We do not have any farms around us anywhere close and I don't know of any that raise turkeys. We are not zoned to have turkeys and we have a high fence all around our house because of our pool. We are in the middle of a residential area, 1/2 mile from the interstate and 2 blocks from a college and a mall. Where he came from, we will probably never know. Everyone thinks I'm crazy but I have plenty of photos of him. Can't wait to do the scrapbook page for it.

My husband wasn't home and he just looked at me like I came from another planet when I told him there was a turkey on the back porch most of the day. I'm so glad I had the camera (plus the turkey left his "calling card" all over the patio). Problem was he pecked on our back sliding door for about 2-3 hours and I was afraid he was going to break it! Every time I ran him off he ran to the corner of our yard and then went back to pecking on the sliding door - guess he saw his reflection.

joshuaminh426
Veteran
joshuaminh426
In response to Henri Jean

Sometimes you just have to find an adventure. Open a newspaper, find an interesting event, and say, "I am going to go do that." Don't be afraid to do solo adventures. Your mojo and joy for life will return. And don't scrapbook because you feel you don't have anyone to share it with. Art is for your enrichment and happiness.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to joshuaminh426

I agree so much with the post above!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
No Operation Write Home will take them, and you'd be doing something really worth-while.

I was going to mention card making for Operation Write Home... wonderful operation and you'll get to still paper craft and Know you are doing someone favors.

I'm like Henri in that I scrap for: first the love of it and two for my hubby and I. the kids all want my books and that's nice to know.

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics