Username Post: Insurance?        (Topic#1592215)
dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

I'm sure I have thousands of dollars in scrapbooking equipment, supplies, etc in my scrapbooking room. Do any of you carry an insurance rider on your stash? I can't imagine trying to replace all of the stuff I have, the least of which includes 3 Cricuts and 103 cartridges! Just curious.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to dwelch

You know, My hubby and I talk about this on a regular basis. When we have Renter's Insurance, we always cover the scrapbook supplies.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 11-13-13 07:56 AM
In response to GwynnAsbury

No, but we do cover musical instruments!

Veteran
In response to vawm

Not yet, but I have definitely been thinking about it.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to GAKropper

Wow, interesting topic. Never thought about this before... I think it might make sense if you have lots of expensive items, like machines and cartridges, or if you have a scrapbooking-based business. Couldn't imagine going to an agent and saying, I'd like to insure $1,000 worth of paper please.

The only items I have specifically insured outside my basic policy are my diamond rings.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GAKropper

Don't have insurance on the scrap stuff - never really thought about it. My Cricut is very old and my cartridges are on CCR. My computer could easily be replaced.

I don't use my Big Shot at all, it was one of those purchases I talked myself into and used about 3 times. I have tons of nesties and Cheery Lynn and things for the Big Shot but since I don't use the Big Shot I don't use any of them either. Just holding onto them because eventually I might do use them.

My main investment is about 8 or 9 of the 12 x 12 3-D binders which probably have $5,000-$10,000 worth of diecuts I've purchased as well as overlays and borders etc. I ordered $374.00 more today and I order at least once a month and have for 5 years so they add up.

I'm scanning all my layouts right now - 5 out of 26 books are done. Those are on my computer as well as an external drive and that makes me feel better.

Truth is, if I started over, I wouldn't buy about 25-45% of the stuff I have now.

Veteran
In response to Henri Jean

Our insurer wouldn't write a specific rider for scrapbooking supplies, sewing machines, fabric and all of the other stuff I love. As a retired insurance agent, I should have known this, but I worked in commercial ins. We do have a couple of other riders, but were advised to simply increase the contents coverage by the amounts of what I thought my treasures were worth. If I remember correctly, they will go up on your contents to 70% of the value of your home.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mimiof123

That makes very good sense. Speaking of which - I'd better pay our insurance today! It went from $1,800 to over $3,000 this year so I've been putting it off!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 11-13-13 12:53 PM
In response to Mimiof123

• Mimiof123 Said:
Our insurer wouldn't write a specific rider for scrapbooking supplies, sewing machines, fabric and all of the other stuff I love. As a retired insurance agent, I should have known this, but I worked in commercial ins. We do have a couple of other riders, but were advised to simply increase the contents coverage by the amounts of what I thought my treasures were worth. If I remember correctly, they will go up on your contents to 70% of the value of your home.

This and if you are renter jusst increase your contents coverage - and remember you want replacement cost.

TJCraftyWitch
Governor
TJCraftyWitch
In response to GMFTS

I always included the items in my stash, need to get renter's insurance again. Lost my one policy last year due to what they considered bad risk area, so I need to get it from another place.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to dwelch

We did put craft items on the renters insurance as well as all the jewelery, computers, tablets, printers, tv's, cameras and new furniture. We just spent about $6000 dollars on new furniture for the house and we defiantly wanted to make sure it was covered.

I wouldn't go without insurance on my craft supplies. I have too much money in it to go out and replace it myself. It doesn't matter if I use it all or not and if it is paper or machines. It still cost money to buy it. Plus if I don't use it I can still replace it with something.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics