Username Post: How to protect something valuable?        (Topic#1592223)
New Kid On the Block

I'm creating a book for my son - I'm using a scrapbook binder to do it, but it's not really a scrapbook, but an inspiration book. It will have some autographed items from his favorite author (Ray Bradbury), along with quotes and other things like that.

Some of the items are valuable, and I want to protect them. I don't want to put any adhesive on them directly; I was thinking of some kind of plastic pouches . . . I put the items in pouches, which are then attached to the pages.

How do you go about putting things like this in your scrapbooks without putting any tape or sticking material on them?

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to sibelius

Where you can (things that are paper and are square) use paper corners. Acid free pouches sounds like a good idea too.

Edited by southgirl on 11-17-13 09:50 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to southgirl

You can put things in envelopes or pockets.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Juansmom

Do they sell clear envelopes or pockets? I want the items to be visible, but don't want to use any type of adhesive on them to keep them in the books.

New Kid On the Block
In response to southgirl

I see the 3L Scrapbook Adhesives . . . this may be the way I have to go. I'd prefer a plastic sheath of some kind to provide additional protection to the items, but the corners may be the best available solution.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to sibelius

I just bought Keepsake Pockets here: We are Memory Keepers makes them.

New Kid On the Block
In response to bonprof

That's a possibility. I'm looking for a plastic sleeve or envelope that I can put the item in, and then attach that sleeve to a 12 x 12 page with other page elements.

If I were to cut off the strip that has the holes for the binder posts, these pouches might work.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to sibelius

• sibelius Said:
Do they sell clear envelopes or pockets? I want the items to be visible, but don't want to use any type of adhesive on them to keep them in the books.

Photo corners are a great idea, and below you'll find links to some clear pockets you could use.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to aquabunny

All good ideas here.

I think I would cut down a page protector and make my own pocket out of it so that it fitted the contents exactly.

Let us know what you decide? It's something that gets asked over and again.

New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel UK

well, I've completed the book and I wanted to let you know what I did.

Again, the problem was this: I had valuable items to mount in a scrapbook. I wanted to do so in a way that did not require me to put adhesives on the items themselves and hopefully would provide a little additional protection for the items in the book.

I used various solutions to accomplish what I wanted.

Several items in the book are trading cards, sized the same as your typical baseball cards. For these I went to a baseball card shop and bought hard plastic sleeves and soft plastic sleeves. I put each card into a soft sleeve, then put both into the hard sleeve, and mounted the hard sleeve to the page. The soft sleeve keeps the card from sliding back and forth in the hard sleeve, and it makes it easier to remove the card from the hard sleeve if my son ever wants to do that.

Some of the items were dollar bills. Hobby Lobby has hard currency sleeves that hold the bills perfectly. I just put the bills in the sleeves and attached them to the page.

Larger photos were protected with larger page protectors found at the baseball card shop. These pages have many different size pockets. For example, I bought 5x7 pages and cut away the parts I didn't need (like the strip with the holes for the binder rings). Once these were cut down I could easily put them on the pages in my book.

Thse pages are available in many sizes, as I said, and I used pages designed to hold 5x7 and 8x10 items. If the pockets were too big for what I wanted to put in them, I just cut the pockets down.

The protection works great and I don't believe they detract from the appearance of the book. I'm willing to sacrifice a little in the way of appearance if it means not damaging the items, but I don't feel like I sacrificed at all here. Granted, my pages were certainly more simple and basic than what you guys do, but I still wanted them to look nice and I think I accomplished that.

Now I have to wait for Christmas to see how he likes it!

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to sibelius

Wow! That's great! How did he like it? Thanks for sharing with us.

New Kid On the Block
In response to bonprof

He loved it. I did it in two parts - a large wall hanging and the scrapbook. When he opened the wall hanging he said "Wow" and "I don't know what to say." He was pretty much speechless as he went through the book.

The book had pictures and quotes from 10 great writers and scientists who have influenced him. Of course, since I was compiling the thoughts of great minds I had to include a page at the end for quotes from my wife and me. LOL He thought that was hysterical.

At the end of the book were several blank pages, with the quote: "A book of quotations... can never be complete." ~Robert M. Hamilton The point was that I left those pages for him to fill over the coming years with his own words or quotes he discovered that were meaningful.

As I said before, my book wasn't as fancy or intricate as I've seen y'all do in photos on this site, but it was good enough and the content is the important thing, not my poor scrapbooking skills.

If this site will let me I'll post a picture of him holding the book, open to one of the Ray Bradbury pages. In the upper left corner of the left page is a bookplate autographed by Bradbury. This is one of the signed pieces I wanted to protect, which was the genesis for this thread.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to sibelius

That looks so cool! Thank you for coming back and telling and showing us what you did. How great that your son loved it. Well done you!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics