Username Post: Looking for Christmas gift ideas for a new scrapbooker        (Topic#1592249)
kittisiubhan
New Kid On the Block
kittisiubhan

My sister in law is starting to get into scrapbooking so I'm looking for gift ideas to give her for Christmas - both big & small, I need stocking stuffers too! I really don't want to give a paper pack collection because I'm not sure what her style is, I'm leaning more towards a tool or something versatile she can use on any project.

Let's make this a list people can build on for journaling prompts, so feel free to ad-lib!

Here's a few ideas to get started:

1. What are some great "stash" builders?

2. As a scrapbooker, what's your favorite gizmo or gadget you can't live without?

3. Thinking back to when you were first starting what is that one thing you wish you had since the beginning?

4. Is there something you bought that was over the top frivolous but you took a risk and ended up falling in love in an unexpected way?

5. Are there any items you regret purchasing or receiving?

6. Do you find books and periodicals helpful? If so, which ones do you reference the most?

Cheers everyone!!

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to kittisiubhan

1. What are some great "stash" builders? I find I can never have enough alphas, chippies, bling or flowers. But part of that is a style thing. I also adore inks and sprays.

2. As a scrapbooker, what's your favorite gizmo or gadget you can't live without? The Zutter Distrezz it all.

3. Thinking back to when you were first starting what is that one thing you wish you had since the beginning? Wish I would not have gone so long without a cutting mat. It really is a necessity for some things. Also, a circle cutter and a good paper cutter. And good scissors.

4. Is there something you bought that was over the top frivolous but you took a risk and ended up falling in love in an unexpected way? The Zutter. They are not cheap, but I love it.

5. Are there any items you regret purchasing or receiving? I don't think I use my laser square enough to justify its cost, but I still love it and don't really regret it.

6. Do you find books and periodicals helpful? If so, which ones do you reference the most? There are three books that are AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME for inspiration. Those are Page Patterns Vol. I, II and III. They are better than page maps in my opinion. They contain sketches that are organized by the amount of photos you want on your spread. And they are stellar. If you buy one as a gift, take it to a copy place and copy the little conversion chart onto transparency. Those books are out of this world.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to aubrieannie

1. What are some great "stash" builders? Solid color cardstock, alpha stickers, flowers, washi tapes

2. As a scrapbooker, what's your favorite gizmo or gadget you can't live without? My Xyron 150 Create a Sticker! I use it on every layout. It's my favorite way to adhere ribbon.

3. Thinking back to when you were first starting what is that one thing you wish you had since the beginning? My Cricut. I waited a long time to get one because they were so expensive at first.

4. Is there something you bought that was over the top frivolous but you took a risk and ended up falling in love in an unexpected way? I don't know that I have an answer for this! I tend to buy scrapbook supplies I know I will use. I thought my original Cricut was over the top frivolous at the time but I very quickly fell in love with it! I'm wondering now if I would feel the same way about a Cameo? Hmmmm . . . .

5. Are there any items you regret purchasing or receiving? Oh yes, there are quite a few. But nothing major - some paper I never used and probably never will, some pens I've never opened - things like that.

6. Do you find books and periodicals helpful? If so, which ones do you reference the most? I do. But so many are out of circulation now or have gone digital. I still reference my Simply Scrapbooking and Scrapbook, etc. magazines all the time.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Great stash builders: Plain cardstock in a rainbow of colors, ribbon, ATG tape, stickles, chipboard, flowers.

Frivolous, I don't know how to guide you here....if she already has some sort of die cutting machine, then dies that she might want? That would be hard to select for her unless you know what she has or wants.

Mistakes, I would not buy a lot of sitckers.

What I love is distress inks, mists etc.

It's hard to pick a collection for someone because it's a matter of taste and what you want to scrap, and how you scrap. But if you already know that she likes G45 or a particular line then you could get the newest collection and some of the embellies.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to CrimsonMama

1. Glitter paper, I always buy interesting ones. I think it adds a punch to your layouts or cards.

2. Creative Memories oval cutter, I may replace it with spellbinders ovals but until then I can't live without it.

3. Yes my Cricut would have been such a boon earlier on. BUT I can go back and fix some pages that need it.

4. For me it was my Cricut (again). I had bought it for scrapbooking but use it for card making home, decor and other types of paper crafting.

5. So many regrets. Revolutions comes to mind, I already had the original Sizzx because the Revolution would cut the thin dies. I replaced it with a Sizzix Big Kick.

6. When I have extra cash (which is not often) I will buy a magazine. But after I read it once what do I do with it? Toss it!

as to what I buy for a scrapbooker?...I search the clearance racks at my crafting stores.

Edited by southgirl on 11-16-13 10:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to southgirl

for a beginner some great stocking stuffer ideas would be some Stickles (glitter glue), buttons, brads, & ribbons. If you don't know her style just go with basic colors.

You can get her a book on scrapbooking for beginner she can thumb through, or past magazine issues too.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Lauri D

Don't count out the paper stacks n packs...I have gotten them as gifts n LOVE that! There are great all purpose or all season stacks that anyone can use...or solid color cardstock stacks that can plump her stash...A lot of time I see pretty stacks that I can't justify buying myself...but boy would I love them as a gift! As far as not knowing her "style"...think about what topics she might be scrapping in the future...has there been a wedding or a birth? School age children or athletes? Trip or cruise?...use your imagination...plus I have never heard of a scrapper who doesn't love PAPER!

Edited by Juansmom on 12-06-13 06:08 AM. Reason for edit: stupid autocorrect

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Juansmom

My mother-in-law got into scrapping this year, so here's what we're giving her for Christmas:
- paper and embellishments specific to a theme we know she wants to scrapbook about
- a bunch of cuts from my Cricut (she made a list of shapes she wanted, and I added some more based on other themes I knew she had in mind)
- a goody box of tools and supplies - a good three-way Fiskars corner punch, a variety of brads, assorted embellishments, a set of journaling stamps, an acrylic stamping block, a good ink pad.

I did a similar goody box for my mom, who's been scrapping for over a decade - some neat brads, her favorite adhesive, a big pack of rainbow cardstock, washi tape in a pattern she'll like, some letter stickers I know she likes, a neat stamping tool, TONS of journaling cards.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo

Stash builders: Black and white paper... I never have enough, adhesives (if you know what she uses already, get some more, she'll definitely use that up) And someone gave me Zots and although first I couldn't understand what they were for, I now am a huge fan. Glue Dots are also supposed to work just as well for a little bit heavier embellishments.

Gadgets not to live without: good scissors I like the Cutter Bees but there are several good pairs out there and a corner punch

Early scrapping mistake: papers that were too busy... and too many small stickers and pre-cut die cuts that had nothing to do with what I was scrapping

Over the top but not: Both my diecut machines.... my Silhouette SD (previous version of the Portrait essentially) and my Big Shot. I use them both a lot. And I just bought a craft mat that cleans easily and I'm loving that too... much better than just a cardboard or paper backing to protect a desk top.

Regret purchasing: I never liked my Fiskar Shape Cutter (the newer version might be more friendly - I hope) or a heavy duty punch that only punched 1/2" into the page. Both were very disappointing.

I have a couple of books that I do use when I need inspiration: The Ultimate Guide to the Perfect Cardand The Ultimate Guide to the Perfect Word They give ideas for card sayings and also for titles of pages etc. I like them when I don't want to be on the computer looking for quotes and the like.

Expert

1. What are some great "stash" builders? Anything semi-basic/neutral in embellisments, different quality adhesives (like glue dots), journaling pens, paper trimmer, cutting mats.

2. As a scrapbooker, what's your favorite gizmo or gadget you can't live without? Cutterbee tweezers and scissors (both regular and nonstick) for a simple/cheap answer, but ultimately I would say my Silhouette Cameo

3. Thinking back to when you were first starting what is that one thing you wish you had since the beginning? ATG adhesive gun.

4. Is there something you bought that was over the top frivolous but you took a risk and ended up falling in love in an unexpected way? ...not that I can really think of...

5. Are there any items you regret purchasing or receiving? TONS OF STICKERS

6. Do you find books and periodicals helpful? If so, which ones do you reference the most? Not much left out there because everything's online.

But really, when all else fails...Gift Cards!!! Let her pick out what she wants as she developes her style.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics