Username Post: Burnt out on scrapping but found new hobby        (Topic#1592263)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

I'm not even sure why I'm posting but after 6 years of scrapbooking, I feel completely burnt out and possibly even bored with it. This is after I've just bought my first diecutting machine after contemplating for years. I'm actually quite sad to have these feelings about abandoning scrapbooking - I thought for sure I'd scrap until the day I die.

It started with DD's first birthday when I first dabbled into "sewing" (mind you, I originally bought the machine not to sew but to stitch on my layouts). It started with making a simple tutu and a high chair cover, but they turned out exactly how I envisioned them and got lots of positive feedback. These handmade items made for some really nice birthday pictures. Then along came Halloween and I sewed both her and my costumes (Little Red Riding Hood and Granny Wolf) with some help from the internet. I searched high and low for tutorials because I have very limited sewing experience. They turned out really nice and I got a lot of compliments. So suddenly I'm completely obsessed with my new hobby and have completely neglected all of my scrapping.

Has this ever happen to anyone else here? Meaning, you found a new hobby, but eventually went back to scrapbooking? Sorry for rambling on, but this has been bugging me for a while now. Fortunately my DH has been very supportive and always telling me that I'm just pouring my creativity into another form of crafts and that the pictures will always be there to me to scrap at a later date.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mama2Thomas

Your husband is right! I think interests change sometimes but they also go back the other way sometimes too.

Don't give up your stuff, just do what you enjoy and you will probably have a trip or event or something that happens in your life that you really want to scrap. You will take a picture and then start thinking of how to put it on paper.

It may be a long time from now but you may pick it up again and you may never get interested again.

Just keep your stuff!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Henri Jean

I say keep your stuff for scrapping. It might be years but someday you might want to scrap again. Presently I have quilting on the backburner but I wouldn't dream of getting rid of my material collection! Scrapping and stamping is consuming my time for now. The main thing is, don't feel guilty for working on one while the other just waits. It's ok.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to wilbur

Actually it was scrapbooking that ursurped another hobby of mine, doll collecting. I did go back to collecting dolls for awhile and didn't scrap much for 6 months but I eventually got back into it and haven't stopped since. The poor dolls are neglected but every so often I scrap them.
Your sewing hobby is new and the novelty hasn't worn off and may not...no reason you can't have two hobbies. I agree with the other ladies...hang on to your scrapcrap...you'll probably one day wake up and feel like scrapping.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I can understand this happening but I would say....keep your scrapbooking stuff because one day, all of the cute things you make and fun you have with the items you sew for yourself and family will need ......... a scrapbook.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to CrimsonMama

I have been a scrapper since about 2001, but if I'm to be totally honest I have to admit that it is usually on and off. I have been burned out as well. One day I realized that many of my layouts meant absolutely nothing to me! I literally emptied my scrapbooks and got rid of 2/3 of the layouts. I kept only the ones that meant something. Now I scrap maybe 3 times a month at the most. I do Mixed Media, make jewelry, paint, loom knit, crochet a little, decorate household decorations, and I take photographs. What you're going through is not weird, its actually quite normal. I know many crafters who have burned out on scrapping too, and then go back to it when they feel it again.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Crafting Marfa

I have several hobbies and go back and forth between them. Knitting is a good example. I may not knit for months - or even years!- but then for some reason I'll get the itch to knit and I'll knit non-stop for months! I've learned to give in to my inner urges as far as my hobbies go and just enjoy the passion for each one as it emerges. Sewing is such a fun, useful hobby! My grandmother (deceased) and mother are excellent seamstresses and I have been the lucky recipient of their precious hand sewn items for years. So, enjoy and don't get rid of your scrapbooking supplies! I guarantee you'll want to scrap again in the future.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain

I have had this happen to me. i have been scrapping for 12 years now and I love it. I have in those 12 years lost interest and left it sit there collecting dust. I have gone to other hobbies but I always come back to scrapping. Right now I am into card making. I haven't made a layout in about 6 months. I probably have made 50 or more cards.

I get into reading books and I will read nonstop for months (reading every spare moment I get)

I go through periods of time I don't want to do any hobbies.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to dorichatelain

I loved sewing for my daughter when she was little. Then when I went back to work outside the home I didn't have time to sew so I started scrapping a lot more again.

Hey Jude
Veteran
Hey Jude
In response to NMlady

I would say keep your supplies just in case. You never know when the urge will strike again. I felt like I had no scrapping mojo whatsoever for almost 2 years. But one day I was looking through some old heritage photos and BAM that was it. I was off and running again. I have several hobbies that continually change order of importance.
So, to repeat... keep your stuff (unless you want to send it all to ME).

Susie Bentz
Veteran
Susie Bentz

How exciting for you to have found a new creative outlet!
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Your husband is correct - the pictures will always be there if/when you are ready to scrapbook again.

I have a couple of friends who started scrapbooking and have moved on to art journaling - they love it and create **amazing** art - and occasionally we still get together and scrapbook. At first there was this same kind of "guilt" associated with it, but a hobby is meant to be fun and fulfilling and they have accepted that.

Long ago I realized I was never going to be able to scrap everything - so I don't!!! I only scrap what inspires me at the time. Not having the pressure of "keeping up" or having to go in chronological order is wonderful!

I enjoy the process. Isn't that the point of a hobby?

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to Susie Bentz

I have a million hobbies and a very busy job. The way it works for me, is that I tend to focus on one more than the others. And I go through phases. Right now, scrapping. Maybe won't be so heavily that 6 mo from now though.

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to aubrieannie

Don't feel guilty. We all have off seasons I'm sure. Put your stash away and one day you'll get back to it.

Save all those fabrics scraps though , you may be able to use them on a LO or card.

But what ever you do , just have fun and enjoy it.

Maybe try to get together with some other scrappers/crafters. Swap ideas and goodies and who knows how much fun you'll have.

Just go with the flow....

cheers Angela

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aubrieannie

Agree - the hobby should make you happy and be something that you enjoy and doesn't give you stress!

For me, I still loving scrapping almost every picture and chrono is the only thing that works for me and makes me happy. If I get one scrapped out of order I get stressed and want to walk away from scrapbooking - it doesn't feel right. Just different personalities and ways of doing things. I don't enjoy scrapbooking at all unless I do them in order but that is just me. Everybody is different and no body is wrong.

I'm goal oriented so I love reaching goals with my scrapbooking, that makes it more fun for me and gives me more of a feeling of accomplishment!

We visit a lot of cruise ship ports that are not pretty or exciting and not so much fun to scrap but I want that port documented anyway - we were there and I still want to remember it. If I skip over and do the ports I really loved first the not-so-exciting ones will not get done and then I get stressed. Better for me to do them in order and if there is one I really want to do - that is my dessert and keeps me moving on the ones I don't want to do so much so I can get to that dessert!

I am not artistic or creative and envy those who are but my purpose for scrapbooking is to attractively (not especially artistically) document our life and travels.

I do it for myself, but as much for my husband because we want to relive all of our trips again through these books when we are too old to travel. We want everything in there. Again - my purpose for scrapbooking is different than most scrappers.

Also, I want our grandkids to have this legacy if they want it. They will visit all these places through with us later through our books if they want to - the journaling with each place tells them the history behind places, statues and monuments and even the biography of people like King Tut and how the pyramids were built and why.

They will also get to know us. They will hopefully laugh at my husbands antics and think its cool to see their grandparents on a camel or an elephant! They will laugh when they read about how we were in Vietnam and Bill needed a haircut. He asked 2 guys on motorcycles where the nearest barber was and they put us each on the back of a motorcycle and took us there! I was wearing a flowing muumuu and pointed Asian hat on a motorcycle - we took a ton of pictures of each other like that. I hope things like that make them laugh when they see the pictures and read the stories.

We all have such different reasons for scrapbooking. And we all have such different things we want to accomplish with our scrapbooks.

It is not uncommon for me to spend 10-12 hours scrapbooking in a day.

If another hobby came along that I loved I would embrace it. Around the holidays I love decorating and baking. Putting a massive Thanksgiving meal on the table is a big hobby for me - I love it and if I'm home for Thanksgiving I will do that and my scrapbooking will be put aside for a while. But I will go back to it.

I am in the process of collecting and organizing all my favorite recipes - also making them and taking a picture of each so I can make cookbooks for all the kids and grandkids. Occasionally I get very absorbed in that project and put everything else aside and work on my cookbook for a couple weeks. When I get burned out on the cookbook I go back to the scrapbooking.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007

I have a lot of hobbies myself. I just recently got into scrapbook a year ago. Since then I had some days where I wasn't in the mood. I'd put my stuff to the side and get back into at a later day.
It the same with my photography and photoshop. I don't use it that often anymore. But keep it to be able to take photos when the mood strikes me.
Like others have said you never know when the mood of scrapbook your photos will come back into full force. I just got back into photoshop after being off and on with it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to justartguy007

Awesome - I have someone lined up to start tutoring me in Photoshop so I can try some layouts with it!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

Thank you all for your replies. I feel better knowing that others have "jump ship" to another hobby only to return to scrapping at a later date. Also nice to know that people hop between hobbies. I will definitely keep all of my stuff (too much invested to just throw it all out).

And you're right, I should just go with the flow and enjoy my new hobby. Who knows, once the honeymoon period is over, I may very well be back to scrapping, especially to document all of my sewing creations!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Glad you are hanging on to your stuff. Nothing wrong with lots of hobbies and putting some aside.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics