Username Post: Wash Stencils?        (Topic#1592327)
Doreena
Governor
Doreena

Do you wash your stencils?

I just started venturing into the whole misting/masking technique, which I love, but I notice that despite the length of time, when I grab my used stencils to use on another project, I get ink all over my hands. This happens even after weeks have gone by since the last time I used them!
A couple of times this has caused some inky disasters on my layouts and pictures because i didn't realize I hand ink on my hands.

Oh, and I have used different types of sprays, but still get the same result.

Edited by Doreena on 11-18-13 04:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to Doreena

When I am finished with using any stencil, I take it to the sink and rinse it off really well, getting all the spray, ink or paint off of it. I have several old hand towels that I keep for using to dry them well after washing them.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to chocolateaxel

I've found that if I use a stamping ink clean up wipe after I use it while the ink is still wet, it is an easier wash off in the sin because you need to wash gently to not bend it.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to CrimsonMama

Yep I wash mine after use.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to GwynnAsbury

I've never had a problem with bending any if mine by washing them off in the sink, but I don't get rough with them either. Usually just a rinse with warm water, maybe a little rub with my finger on a stubborn spot, and they come clean as new.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 11-18-13 09:13 PM
In response to chocolateaxel

Yep, i wash mine. I try to get every bit of ink or paint off them because, well, I have OCD and I can't have my stuff be all dirty. there, I said it.

If it's particularly sticky and won't come off with warm water I have one of those scrub brushes that you use for dishes and I very lightly scrub it and that works wonders.

Also, something I learned in a class is that if you use gesso on your stencils you really need to clean it off immediately.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 11-18-13 09:13 PM
In response to Vae

btw Doreen I just noticed your new avi. Love it!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Vae

Yes, I rinse my stencils immediately. I don't clean my stamps 99.9% of the time, but I do clean stencils. Not sure why!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to cindy312

I run my under water if I use gesso I lay a couple of wet baby wipes over them till I get to a point I can wash them that way they don't dry out and get hard to clean.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Sneezy1956

Thanks for all your replies! IDK why but I didn't think I had to wash it, just figured the ink would dry up.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
btw Doreen I just noticed your new avi. Love it!

Thank you!

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to Doreena

yes I always wash mine.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to andrea m

if it's just ink, using a baby wipe is usually enough. I keep a pack or two handy just for those occasions)

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to OlesyaK.

Beautiful avatar!

Yes I wash them. Stencils are made of plastic so the only ink that would dry on them would be Staz-On. And acrylic paint.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
Beautiful avatar!

Yes I wash them. Stencils are made of plastic so the only ink that would dry on them would be Staz-On. And acrylic paint.

Thanks!
And oooooohhhhh, okay. Didn't think of that!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics