Username Post: Photos stuck in album        (Topic#1592333)
olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find the thread so here goes again. Many years ago I thought I was doing a good thing by sorting and arranging all my photos in photo albums. You know the ones....sticky back and clear magnetic sheet on top. Now all my photos are yellowing and most are stuck. I've tried sliding dental floss down behind them and it works for some but I sliced through a couple photos. Does anyone know of any other ways to get these photos loose? I want to save and scan them before they're all ruined.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to olleharr

You could try using a spatula, the kind that is used for removing paper cutouts from a cricut mat.
Products Referenced in This Post:
CGull - Spatula Set (Discontinued)

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to Solitaire

I did the same thing to my father old photo in those same kind of albums. I use dental floss some were easy to get out. But most were hard to get off. I damage a few photos.
I found a product at Wal Mart called un-du remover. I wished I had it before I tried to take most of the photos out of those sticky albums.
I think you can find at Joann on their website.

Again it called un-du remover. Hope that helps you out.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to justartguy007

You can also scan the entire page and then crop your pictures off of it. I would try that if they don't come off easily. Then if you ruin them getting them off you have them scanned already.

You can then crop each one of them.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Henri Jean

Thanks so much. I don't know why, I never thought to scan them while still on the page. I will try that. Also didn't know about the undo stuff. I'll add that to my list and will give it a try. What I noticed was that when I do get them off they still have a coating on the back from the album page. I was worried that stacking the photos would also damage them. Seems like a ton of work to save the originals. Scanning might just be the best option at this point. Thanks again everyone!

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to olleharr

I had an old old album my mother made back in 1930 to 1940. She used bandage tape and some scotch tape to put the pictures in. I used UnDu and it took all that gunk off and did not harm my pictures. Hint GooGone not a good idea.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to southgirl

Yah, I agree with the UnDu recommendation. I've used dental floss on some old photos that were glued into those old pasteboard frames/holders that professional studios used but it doesn't work too well on anything that has a lot of glue all over the back. I have never had UnDu damage anything I've used it on. You need good ventilation when you use it though -- not good to breathe that stuff. Those spatulas work well with UnDu also.

Edited by Ms. Fit on 11-19-13 06:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Ms. Fit

Just an update. Thank you so much for the advice about the Un-du. I have been using it to unstick all of my old photos and it has worked really well. The actual tool that is hooked on the end of it is a definite plus. This has been a painstaking process but I'm finally approaching the finish line. As you can see, these pages were discoloring and starting to deteriorate and some of my photos are starting to show discoloration. If you have any of these old magnetic photo albums that were so popular back in the 80's/90's you might want to get them out of them before your photos are damaged. Thanks again for your help everyone.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to olleharr

Thanks Lisa. I do, and I must. I might be searching for Un-du in the UK next...

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I've been working on this a LONG time. I have 22 large photo albums completed and in Artbin holders that hold 1800 photos. I have two bins full. I still have 8 albums to do. The ones I have left are the oldest and most stubborn. In addition to UNDU, you can use a hairdryer to coax them off and I've also heard you can use dental floss but I would be careful with that because you could cut the photo. I can say in the past, I've gotten impatient and torn photos.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to CrimsonMama

I tried a the floss and the hairdryer and yes I did damage a couple pictures before I gave up on those. I would definitely recommend the Un-du. It was a lot quicker and easier and no harm done at all. They sell it here on sb.com or even WM in the craft section.
UN-DU Adhesive Remover - 4oz Bottle

Edited by olleharr on 02-02-14 05:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to olleharr

I just finished 'converting' an old photo album (probably circa 1980). Black, sticky pages with plastic covers.

The photos came off surprisingly easy. What worked best for me was the spatula end of my rub-on tool.
I tried dental floss, but ended up ripping (slicing) some of the photos.

I'm afraid that the newer albums will be worse (more sticky). I have Un-Du on hand.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics