Username Post: Introducing SBing to my nieces, any tips        (Topic#1592369)
suznut
suznut 
Veteran
suznut

I'm having my nieces over this weekend and we are planning on doing some scrapbooking. They are 10 and 9 and have both seen my albums over the years. They've never attempted it, but are super eager to get started and excited about it. They've always loved crafting so does anyone have any tips on scrapbooking with younger crafters?

They are bringing some photos, but I would appreciate any tips to keep them motivated or active in it......

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to suznut

I scrap with my grandchildren all the time from ages 6 to 13. Best idea is let them do what they want even if it looks horrible to you. Guide them but don't do it for them. I lay out stickers flowers etc that they can use as well as pp that matches their photos. That way they aren't overcome. The only thing I do is to do the cutting with the tools.
Have fun....!
Here's one that my 8 yr old did:
Emma's First Day of Kindergarten By Abby0317

Resident
In response to Abby0317

Keep It Simple! My kids and their friends have been doing Smash Books each summer since Smashing came out. They love it especially at that age.
Favorite items to use:
letter stickers
stickers-subjects they were scrapping
journaling boxes
scissors
adhesive
trimmer
some cardstock

VERY Simple...they just smashed a picture, told the story, gave it a title (letter stickers) and embellishments.
Enjoy! You'll have a blast.

suznut
suznut 
Veteran
suznut
In response to SunshineScrapper1

Thanks for all the tips. I realize keeping it simple is key. I don't want to overwhelm them. Smash books might be a good option. Before we get started, i'm taking them to pick out an album, I'll have to be sure and show them those and let them decide what they wan to do....can't wait! They're so excited, I just hope they love it as much as I do!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to suznut

You are going to have so much fun! My 7 year old niece has been scrapping with me for 3 years now and is working on her second album. I agree that letting them have control over their work is the best thing you can do for them. Suggestions aren't so bad though. It's a great way to interact and share the experience. My niece has just gotten to the point where she can set herself up in my scraproom and go to town. I found a couple of nice boxes for her to store her stuff in and she has a good little stash of her own now. I think she feels much more comfortable digging through her own stuff than mine. Her 10 year old brother has started showing an interest in it this year also which really makes me happy.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to olleharr

I like the idea of putting things aside and making a scrapbox for them. I have papers that I would not want a child to use - papers I've saved for years for just the right layout and I'd rather they have their own papers but I'll share my other supplies.

When my granddaughter is old enough, if she wants to make a scrapbook I'll take her shopping and let her pick a selection of papers and embellies she likes - I'll put her on a budget and buy things she wants in her book.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Henri Jean

You're right Henri. My little niece has the scrapping bug and the excitement of shopping for her own supplies is just as important to her. She really takes puts a lot of time and effort into choosing just the right embellishments to add to her creations. And boy can she find the deals!

suznut
suznut 
Veteran
suznut
In response to olleharr

Hey guys just wanted to let you know, my nieces loved their time scrapbooking. They brought over a tons of pics and were able to get several layouts created. I agree, they do need a box of their own to keep their stash of stuff and maybe a photo organizer. This black Friday, I'm going to do shopping and get them each their own box to keep paper, embellies and photos. They can't wait to do it again!

suznut
suznut 
Veteran
suznut
In response to suznut

Even my three year old daughter was in there with us punching out stuff and having fun with stamps. I can't wait until she's a little older to get more into it. I can already tell though, she's going to love crafting with her cousins as well

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to suznut

So glad it was a success. I wanted to take my niece shopping for scrapbook stuff but she lives 9 hours away and now she is old enough that she is out of high school, has a full time job in a grocery store, has a boyfriend and has no interest in scrapping. And she is my only niece.

Just have to wait for granddaughters to grow up a bit.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to suznut

• suznut Said:
Hey guys just wanted to let you know, my nieces loved their time scrapbooking. They brought over a tons of pics and were able to get several layouts created. I agree, they do need a box of their own to keep their stash of stuff and maybe a photo organizer. This black Friday, I'm going to do shopping and get them each their own box to keep paper, embellies and photos. They can't wait to do it again!

That's wonderful! I have a 6 year old neice that is very creative and you've inspired me to have a scrapbooking day with her. I can't wait until my granddaughter is old enough to scrapbook with me! I have a little while to wait as she is only 13 months old, but I already have big plans!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to dsouza

I knew they would love it! It really sparks their creative side too. My niece just had her artwork at school chosen out of the whole first grade to display in their art fair. She was so creative with it the teacher called her mother to tell her. I'd like to think the last three years of her scrapbooking with aunt Lisa had something to do with it.

Veteran
In response to olleharr

I would definitely pick out some things and put them in a box especially for the girls. I am really neurotic about anyone getting into my stash and the possibility of them picking something that I've been saving for a special layout. I would give them access to punches, stamps and a few embellies, but definitely wouldn't turn them loose with free rein!!! I know you are going to have a blast. Be sure and share what they do!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics