Username Post: Scrapbooking Method Crisis        (Topic#1592379)
bkford
bkford 
New Kid On the Block
bkford

I have been scrapbooking for 10 years and would consider myself a traditional scrapbooker. For each of those years, I have filled 2-3 Creative Memories 12x12 albums. I moved from stickers to creating my own embellishments/art. Now that CM albums are no longer available, I am realizing I'm not "married" to strap-hinge albums and am open to new methods of scrapbooking. I just watched a lot of Becky Higgins' class online yesterday, and I just don't think I'm ready to move to that style. But I would like to know if there are other "ways" out there, that would maybe be a variation on my traditional style (post-bound albums I think????--not sure?--but not just album-type, but style?). But since I am at a point of transition (away from CM), I would like to know what all I should consider. I have heard the word "snap" but have not clue what that is. Any help or direction would be much appreciated. (PS-I tried digital and did an entire album that way, but that is definitely not me.)

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to bkford

I use albums with the snapload system, which is still plastic strap hinges, but not attached in the same way as CM. (Or so I believe - I haven't actually seen any CM albums.)

I think they are about the best compromise: they are easier to manage than posts, the page protectors sit right next to each other so that double pages have no space between them (unlike 3/D-rings), and the albums don't take up as much space on the shelf as the 3/D-rings.

I've attached the conversion kits but you can get albums as well, just not in this store. Try searching on the net for "snapload". Good luck!
Products Referenced in This Post:

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to RedSquirrel

I started with post bound and only use 3 ring binders now, primairly because I scrap out of order and store them in order..........

I also am a traditional scrapper and have started to mix different layout sizes in my albums taking use of the Becky Higgins stuff....

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to GwynnAsbury

Same here Gwynn, I file chronologically but scrap whatever I feel like.

I tend to pile up the LOs and then have a grand filing session.

bkford
bkford 
New Kid On the Block
bkford

Okay, from what I see so far, this may be my solution. The Pioneer 12x12 Snapload scrapbook looks a lot like the Creative Memories, but I assume that, using the Snapload system, the pages are like the post-bound albums (only much easier to manage than posts), in that it's a page protector that you stick your page into. Is that correct?

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to bkford

Yup, you've got it. You can move your page protectors around, but only by taking the whole thing apart. Not as easy as 3/D-rings, but a lot easier than post-bound albums. See if you can find any YouTube videos that show them being taken apart, or maybe comparison videos, then you'll get a better idea before buying.

Also I would check the availability of snapload albums in your part of the world before you commit, as they aren't available in the Superstore here. I'm in the UK (previously in Australia and Singapore) where they are popular with plenty of choice. The conversion kits are for post-bound albums.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Don't be afraid to try 3-ring albums. They are SO easy to work with.

When I first drifted away from CM, I just bought plain cardstock and matted and embellished from there. Now I do all sorts of methods (mini albums, snap, smash, altered art, cards, etc.). There is so much out there. Try anything that looks like fun!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Luvmyfam

As far as style goes, I don't think you really decide on a style as much as feel it. I'm a pretty minimalist scrapper, I love understatement and white space so that's what I do.

I suggest browsing through the gallery and noting a few pages you like then see what is common to them and what it is that appeals to you then perhaps incorporate some new elements into your next LO.

I think style grows and develops, it's organic and inherently personal and I think it has to come from within, it's not something you can just decide.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
Don't be afraid to try 3-ring albums. They are SO easy to work with.

I use 3 ring binders exclusively now. Hobby Lobby sells some in basic colors that are super functional. However, I also like the We R Memory Maker albums because they come in such fun colors. I've used several of these and they are wonderful! You can find a great selection of sizes and colors right here on SB.com! I sound like a commercial, don't I?

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 11-24-13 03:23 PM
In response to dsouza

I love 3-ring albums, or more specifically D-ring albums. My favorites are the ones from WRMK but a lot of people like the ones from American Crafts and Simple Stories too.

TriciaH
Guru
TriciaH
In response to IzzyB

Helpful tip, if you like 3 ring albums because they are easy to use but love the look of strap hinge because the double pages look close together - try the flush bound page protectors by We R Memory Keepers. They fit the 12x12 3 ring style, but look strap hinge. Very cool!

bonprof
Guru
bonprof
In response to dsouza

I have one wrmk album and it is so easy to work with. I love the sturdy page protectors! Im still using the rest of my cm albums, but will soon transition to wrmk altogether. Cm page protectors are fragile and difficult to work with.

flintridgescrapper
Idol
flintridgescrapper
In response to TriciaH

• TriciaH Said:
Helpful tip, if you like 3 ring albums because they are easy to use but love the look of strap hinge because the double pages look close together - try the flush bound page protectors by We R Memory Keepers. They fit the 12x12 3 ring style, but look strap hinge. Very cool!

I've bought these and LOVE them!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to flintridgescrapper

I used to only use the CM books. They are beautiful and sturdy. I moved them the other day to another shelf and boy were they dusty. They hadn't been on that shelf for more than a year. When I went to the ringed album I didn't like it at first. I always do two pagers. Now I love those books. I think change for many of us is an adjustment and pretty soon you will love your new books. The faux leather ones are much less dusty!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics