Username Post: Circle & Oval Cutting systems        (Topic#1592413)
dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

I've mentioned in a couple of other posts that I purchased a Creative Memories circle and oval cutting system years ago. I've tried a few other systems but nothing that I've loved nearly as much as the old CM system. I still use it regularly. Does anyone know if CM still sells these systems since their revamp? And just so I can stay current, what are some of the better manual circle and oval cutting systems out in the market today? (Besides using your Cricut, Spellbinders, etc.)

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to dsouza

I have the Spellbinders nesting circles and ovals and squares.... nice thing is that they nest with their other decorative things as well. So If I have the lacey circles I can layer a basic circle in side and they are designed to do this, does that make sense? It is definitely a different system and I think just as nice.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to dsouza

I love the Fiskars Ultra ShapeXpress for manual circles (and other shapes). It's easy to use if you do it right. You hold the cutter like a computer mouse, and the templates must have the "Fiskars" logo facing upright. I like that I can see exactly where I am cutting.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to Luvmyfam

Luvmyfam...I tried the Fiskars and just could not get my exacto knife to do right, the spining blade one. I love the CM oval I bought on a whim. I have been meaning to get the circle one but...I found the nestabilities die and I love them.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to southgirl

Southgirl, you can't use an exacto knife with the Fiskars template. You need to use the Ultra ShapeXpress with the templates. You first "aim" the tip of the cutter in the direction you want to go in and then cut.

I have the CM system, but I don't like how you have to lay the guide first, then move it and lay down the template. I would always be off a hair and then I would end up cutting into something that I didn't want to.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to dsouza

I can't answer your question about CM but I really like my MS circle cutter..the larger one. It's quick and easy. If you are cutting concentric rings start with the largest size and go down.
Products Referenced in This Post:

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Sunnydi

CM forever! Got mine on classifieds for cheap and don't want anything else! I wouldn't have to buy anything else if only the circles would really be every quarter inch, and not 3, 3 1/4, 3 1/2 then 4.. skipping one in between.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to OlesyaK.

I bought the CM circle cutting and oval cutting systems - everything and a lot of spare blades to last a lifetime when CM was going out.

At some point I need to take them out of the packaging and figure out how to use them. I'm glad I got them and know I'm going to love them but I haven't had a layout that used circles or ovals - or it was easier to just grab a punch.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Henri Jean

Don't hesitate, Henri Jean! I love the extra large sizes in the CM system. I use mine to cut not only mats but also pictures.

bears99
Diva
bears99
In response to dsouza

I have most of the CM cutting pieces...the circles, ovals, a heart, large square and oval. I love them for cutting. I don't lay the template down first like someone mentioned. I never use the template that came with them. My understanding is that they are not going to sell them anymore, which is very sad! I did not get extra blades and that makes me very mad at myself....but I really didn't know they were going to get rid of such a wonderful system. Henri, you were the smart one! I think you will really like them. They are wonderful for creating matching mats and photos.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to bears99

Check with a CM demo- there was one at a local craft show and she had a lot of stock left. Some of the demos maybe trying to move old products because if I understand correctly- they are not part of the new revamp products. The lady was selling a bunch of stuff at good prices! You might luck out.
I personally use my big shot and circle dies but I totally understand keeping with a system that works for you!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to dsouza

I have a set of ovals and blades I've never used. You can have them. Just pay for shipping. Pm me.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics