Username Post: Hanukkah scrap booking supplies        (Topic#1592491)
joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426

It's incredibly frustrating trying to find Jewish scrapbooking supplies. Most places have nothing for us Jewish scrapers. I'm so grateful I discovered a website called 1-800-Dreidel and Scrapbookpaper.com to find Jewish items. Can't wait to use all of the great things I ordered.

It still baffles me why craft stores don't carry many items for Jewish people. Even independent scrapbook stores carry nothing. I asked one time why, and the people at Scrapbook Territory in Berkeley, CA replied that they make no money on the items because they don' sell well.

Do Jewish people not scrapbook?

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to joshuaminh426

Creative Memories had a Hannukah pack...I think you could prob still find it on ebay or a fb group.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to Juansmom

It's a niche market, and to design/make/market a product is costly. I've heard this complaint frequently on various scrapbooking boards, but there have also been a few companies that have tried to address this market and gone under. Only their owners could tell you exactly why, but this kind of product, being a hobby/discretionary-incom e purchase, doesn't fare well in tough economic times, and the mark-up isn't huge in the first place.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to GemGirl

have you seen this site? craftingjewishstyle.blogspot.com/

When I can't find something to fit a LO I'm working on I just try to get creative and make my own embellishments.

In this LO "A Kosher Christmas" I needed hamantaschen cookies so I just made my own. I water distressed paper and folded it into the shape I wanted, added ink for that "baked" looked and added Stickles Rock Candy for the "sugar coating" and use different colored stickles for the fruit filling.

A Kosher Christmas By Lauri D

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to Lauri D

Thanks for the info on 1-800-dreidel. I just called them and placed an order for a Hebrew alphabet brass template, which I can use for embossing by hand. The shipping charge is actually $2.25 for small items, not the higher price shown on their website.

Note, you may be able to find Jewish-themed images online, which you can print out and turn into embellishments. I googled "Jewish Stickers" and found some that I could copy and paste into my word processor. From there, I can resize the pictures, cut them out, and turn them into stickers.

joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426
In response to Solitaire

I like the hamentaschen cookies idea. That's cool! Jewish scrapbooking supplies is a small niche market, but it still kind of bums me out when I walk through a store and there are racks after racks of Christmas or Christian scrapbooking items.

TriciaH
Guru
TriciaH

We try and carry as many Jewish scrapbook products as there are. The manufacturers don't make very many. Scrapbook Territory was right though: the products just don't sell. They just sit on our shelf all year round. I'll link a few here for you. Hope that helps!
Products Referenced in This Post:

joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426
In response to TriciaH

Tricia,

Thanks so much!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

we're less than 2% of the population, that's why

and Happy Hanukkah!!!!!!!!!

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to CommaHolly

Less than 2%???? That's surprising. I was always under the impression the the Jewish population was a lot higher than that.

boysmom
Pro
boysmom
In response to Lauri D

• Lauri D Said:
have you seen this site? craftingjewishstyle.blogspot.com/

I used to design for that company. However, after 3 years, the products weren't selling well enough for her to create new collections. They sold all the CJS collections here at scrapbook.com and they all sold out. You might still be able to find some of them available. You can try the company website:
http://www.craftingjewishstyle.com/index2.php#/gallery1...
or else try ebay or something. The Hannukah kit is nice if you can find it.

My suggestion is to buy Jewish-themed tools (dies, punches, stamps)and make you own products. There are several companies that make jewish stamps. Try http://www.ruthsjewishstamps.com/
Lifestyle crafts also makes a Jewish die set which you can use over and over again.
Products Referenced in This Post:

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to *jesse*

• *jesse* Said:
Less than 2%???? That's surprising. I was always under the impression the the Jewish population was a lot higher than that.

In Israel maybe The numbers there are 75% of the population is Jewish.

Only 1.74% of the US population is Jewish,,,,

If you take into account the WORLD, it's much, much lower,,,,,,,,Only 0.2% of the world population is Jewish.

They're not real interested in making stuff for us

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to CommaHolly

That's fascinating. I wonder what the stats are for the percentages of all religions/no religion amongst paper-crafters? That would be really interesting to know. I bet the stores and designers would give a lot for that information, just to know what to produce and stock.

lgtaylor100
Diva
lgtaylor100
In response to RedSquirrel

This is great info. I have been having trouble locating Jewish themed items for scrapbooking.

Lynne

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to lgtaylor100

Another thing you can do also is if you have jewish themed cookie cutters you can buy some polymer clay and roll it flat and thin and use the cookie cutter to cut out the shape you want and then paint it, or hae kid/g.kids paint them. Or before baking the clay shape, press an embossing folder or stamp into the clay and then bake it.

Just got to get creative and think outside the box.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to Lauri D

I just found this here on this site. I don't know how to attach the picture but type this into the product search. These doors have the star of David on them and would be perfect for when I scrap my Mom's trip to Poland when she went to a holocaust museum and an old concentration camp.

Prima - Wood Embellishments - Doors - Set 2

http://store.scrapbook.com/products/?w=wood+embe llishme...

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21
In response to Lauri D

Prima - Wood Embellishments - Doors - Set 2

here's the link for you

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics