Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Help! I need advice on buying materials for my girlfriend        (Topic#1592635)
New Kid On the Block

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some scrapbooking material to give my girlfriend for Christmas. She loves to scrapbook and is coming back from studying abroad in South America and I'd love to help her get started on her next one. (It will be a scrapbook of her trip) Do you guys have any advice on what things I should buy, like albums, papers, materials, etc. She has supplies like scissors and stuff. Please let me know.

cinderella4282
Expert
cinderella4282
In response to HappyFeet95

Paper!!!! I love paper. Fun buttons and ribbons, or maybe some washi tape would be nice as well.

New Kid On the Block
In response to cinderella4282

okat haha it would be great if you could post suggestions/specific links of what type of papers you think I should get? and buttons / ribbons that would be good? I'm not very artistic and dont know what types of things to get would be good. Thank you so much!

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel

Depending on what subjects she likes to scrapbook, if you look in the superstore you can find papers according to subject. Twine is very popular right now also. And any if the new paper collections such as the Graphic 45 line, are coveted by a lot of crafters.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to chocolateaxel

Hi HappyFeet95! I think it's so cool that you're looking for suggestions. If she's traveled, maybe she'd like some of these.
Products Referenced in This Post:

New Kid On the Block
In response to gin1902

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Feel free to add more! Also, do you guys have any recommendations for the album?

NMscrapper
Mayor
NMscrapper

What a great idea! Here are some things she might like. Happy shopping!

Edited by NMscrapper on 12-04-13 04:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

southgirl
Resident
southgirl
In response to NMscrapper

Well, I think a gift certificate might be better as she might want to pick her own paper. Or go with her and let her shop till she drops. (or you run out of money)

Edited by southgirl on 12-04-13 07:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to southgirl

Listen...as far as paper choices goes...ANYTHING you pick will be great! Paper to a scrapbooker is like shoes to a woman...Yes please! You probably can't make a bad choice...unless it's like a baby stack n she has no kids...you see where I am going with this? Sometimes we pass over a paper stack bc we can't justify it for our wallets, doesn't mean we wouldn't like it! If in doubt get a gift cert.

Ohhh.how about some paper or embellies that coordinates with a trip or activity you are planning to do together!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Juansmom

• Juansmom Said:
Listen...as far as paper choices goes...ANYTHING you pick will be great! Paper to a scrapbooker is like shoes to a woman...Yes please! You probably can't make a bad choice...unless it's like a baby stack n she has no kids...you see where I am going with this?

Wow, this really isn't a universal statement - there are tons of paper stacks I don't like and would be disappointed to receive.

(I also hate anything but the most practical shoes.)

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to aquabunny

Its really sweet that you want to get her a gift for a hobby she love.
As someone who loves to scrapbook and has no one else in my family who does. there is nothing more disappointing than getting stuff as a gift that they like. I love that they care enough to buy me stuff for my hobby. Most of it ends up going unused till I donate it to something or someone else. Most scrapbookers have very different likes or reasons for wanting something.

I would suggest talking to her about what she would like to do for this next projects. Maybe suggest she make a wish list here and then you can purchase from that. When my husband listens and buys something I have really wanted that's better than the gift itself.

Edited by andrea m on 12-04-13 08:29 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to andrea m

I have to agree with southgirl. I love love love paper but nearly every piece that has been given to me as a gift has been donated. Some of it was beautiful but just wasn't my style and I couldn't use it.

Half the fun of scrapbooking for me is the shopping part. I think for any scrapbooker, we enjoy shopping and picking our stuff as much as we enjoy using it!

Even friends who are really into scrapbooking have given me scrappy things they though I would love and they were nice but I never had occasion or interest to use them.

I love picking out my own scrapbook stuff.

Why not give her a coupon redeemable for one big shopping trip to pick out things herself. That way she gets to spend time with you too!

My best friend here is a very experienced scrapbooker and I could not pick out one piece of paper, one punch or one scrapbook supply for her.

I bought her a big selection of twinkling H2O's once - she tried them once, didn't like them.

I bought her several sets of seasonal Tim Holtz distress inks several years ago. I don't think she has tried them, mentioned once that she didn't care for his products. I didn't think I could go wrong with that, but I did and I scrap with her all the time. I didn't know she didn't like Tim Holtz distress inks but she really doesn't care for them. I think she regifted them or garage saled them.

Even something simple like a trimmer - some like rotary blade, some prefer wire and some prefer a guillotine!

If you know of any machines she might like - Cricut, Cameo, Big Shot etc those would be great gifts! But only if you know she wants one. Some scrappers love their Cricuts - others love their Cameos.

Ask her to come to this site and make out a wish list so you can get ideas and shop from that.

Or better yet, give her a coupon in a card redeemable for a shopping trip.

I love paper but I am very picky and selective about it. I don't even buy packs - I individually pick out each piece of paper. I've bought paper packs, used 2 sheets and donated the rest of the paper pack.

I think you are the sweetest guy in the world to do this but it seems like a difficult task because every scrapbooker likes something so different. And I believe every scrapbooker loves to shop and pick out their supplies.

Just like my husband likes to pick out his own tools. I will get him one if he tells me exactly what he wants but I would never venture into a tool section somewhere and just start buying him tools.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof

I suggest Graphic 45 Bohemian Bazar. This collection has wonderful bright colors:
Products Referenced in This Post:

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to bonprof

See I am different too.....I hate Graphic 45 and could not Imagine creating with it but others love it.

I would go for normal travel paper, some assorted card stock and some flair, buttons, wood veneers and some twine. Along with a gift certificate that would be awesome.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to PhotobearSam

It is quite difficult since there are some women who are easy to please and some who are quite picky. It just depends which type of woman your girlfriend is.
Some scrapbookers, like me, also make cards and mixed media projects, so I can use any kind of paper, any kind of ribbon, embellishment, anything, I can find a project for everything. Others have the mindset that only certain colors or manufacturers will work for their projects. Typically, if the woman only scrapbooks, doesn't do mixed media or card making, then those women tend to be more narrow in their likes and dislikes, they will gravitate to products that they have in their mind will work with their photos.
If you're unsure of her tastes, then a gift card or certificate would be okay. Personally I find gift cards and such to be rather impersonal, but some women love them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Darla really made a good point!

I scrap and only scrap and have no interest in making cards - I hate making cards so the scrapbooking things that appeal to me are things that go with my pictures. That really does narrow me down a lot!

I enjoy gift cards but from someone close, like my husband, I'd rather he take me shopping and spend the time with me.

I think Graphic 45 is gorgeous but it doesn't work at all with my scrap style so I put mine all on a donation table. I had it forever, looked at it, admired it and then realized I would never get it to work with the way I scrap - I hated to give it away because it was gorgeous!

Finally I just put it on the table of giveaway stuff at a crop.

You could go to the superstore here and type in "South America" and get some unique things she can use to scrap her adventures while she was there studying.

I never thought of myself as being picky but now I think that maybe I am. I fall in love with every piece of paper before I buy it. If I'm not in love with it I end up giving it away.

For me the shopping part is part of the thrill of the hobby.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-04-13 03:31 PM
In response to Henri Jean

hi HappyFeet! Such a sweet thought to get that for your girlfriend! You asked specifically about an album but I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but some people are very particular about the types of album they use. Some like postbound, some like D-ring, some like other systems completely. Also, you might not know what size she wants to use. So I would recommend letting her choose her own album. That's just my 2 cents though.

But I do think it would be really sweet to get her some papers and things. If you're not sure of her taste, I don't know anyone who would refuse a stack of good quality solid colored cardstock like Bazzill brand, maybe a fresh batch of adhesive tape runners, and a few patterned papers and embellishments that you have personally chosen would probably mean the world to her (no pun intended).

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
  • Juansmom Said:
Listen...as far as paper choices goes...ANYTHING you pick will be great! Paper to a scrapbooker is like shoes to a woman...Yes please! You probably can't make a bad choice...unless it's like a baby stack n she has no kids...you see where I am going with this?

Wow, this really isn't a universal statement - there are tons of paper stacks I don't like and would be disappointed to receive.

(I also hate anything but the most practical shoes.)

Wow, Aquabunny, ...what a great suggestion...oh wait...you didn't make one...you just dropped an insult instead. The poster asked us for advice...four people before me all offered the suggestion that he buy paper as a gift... as did I. It is unnecessary to take digs at people if you don't like their response. Thank you very much.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to Juansmom

I agree with you, Chris, it was an insulting comment. And personally, I agreed with your comment about shoes. I've been a shoe fanatic since I could walk, lol!

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom

Thank you, Darla, I appreciate that. Like many others here, I comment to help people out, offer advice and praise. It is a happy place for me to be, and I will not accept rudeness. Remember the saying, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all! Happyfeet...please don't think all of us are snarky and rude...most of us are very helpful...as Aquabunny usually is.

Edited by Juansmom on 12-04-13 05:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics