Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: ATG - placement issues        (Topic#1592695)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-05-13 01:57 PM

Hi everyone! I was working on some cards last night and I was using my ATG. I have no issues using the device itself... I love it! But it's SO sticky that when I'm trying to do a double mat or something like that, it often sticks down before I have a chance to get it lined up properly. Does anyone else have this issue and what tricks do you know to keep it from happening?

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to Vae

Yes it is really sticky and it will stick to any place it gets near. As long as you do not press it down it will (most times) peel right up. I keep Undu handy for those times.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to southgirl

Yeah...when they say permanent...they mean permanent!! I've wondered if they make an initially repositional tape?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Juansmom

I find the same thing although if I use a good quality paper I have a better chance of repositioning it. The really cheap paper (which I use a lot of because I shop mostly by theme)is not tolerant for repositioning.

I'm a bit afraid now of anything marked repositionable Chris because I'm scanning all my old books and having them printed.

When I started scanning the books I did 4 or 5 years ago when I was new and only used repositionable adhesive - those really fell apart. I had to patch them all back and adhere everything down again before I could scan them.

However, I agree with you - it would be great to have a window where you could reposition things easily to get them straight.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Henri Jean

Sometimes It's a yeah, I meant for it to look like that!

I just try to hold it up above the other a little till I get it right, but it does seem to reach out and grab just where you don't want it to stick.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to SherylEb

Yes that happens to me too. However my cricut spatula really comes in handy to help lift things without tearing. I've also been successful in lifting pictures/paper that have even been down a few days, but I have to use the spatula. The quality of paper is a definite factor too, but the spatula is a necessity for me when using my ATG.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to pugs223

I sometimes use a pair of tweezers to position an item before placing it down

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-05-13 08:03 PM
In response to Rosita

The easiest way I've found to handle a double mat is to cut the smaller one, glue it down, and only then cut the bigger mat down to size so the smaller one is situated exactly where you want it.

Or purposely do crooked/asymmetrical/off- kilter placements, which can often look more dynamic and interesting than a formal alignment.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-05-13 08:13 PM
In response to stick

The paper I'm using right now is Bazzill and once it sticks there is no getting it unstuck without tearing the paper. I have been able to get it to come up with a string of dental floss but it's still showing creases in the top layer where i had to peel it up. I think I'm gonna go get some wax paper and try that as a barrier on the bottom half while I position the top half. I'll report back!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-05-13 10:43 PM
In response to Vae

Update - the wax paper worked but just a short way in I needed to change out my tape roll. I had totally forgotten that they put non-stick paper in the boxes to keep the rolls from sticking together. I started using that instead and it worked like a charm! It is thicker paper and much easier to work with than the wax paper. I'm just using it in the lower half of the mat to keep it from sticking while I'm trying to line up the top. YAY!

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to Vae

What a fantastic idea Vae!! I could do that on a corner very easily! The pre-stick always seems to happen when I am laying down a large piece if paper...like 9x9 or larger...this should do the trick! Thanks for experimenting!

Henri...I know what you mean about the repositionable tape...a lit of my earlier work has to be rescued too...I used scotch photo splits that did not hold well!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Juansmom

I'm going to try that Vae - I never even though of that and it could really help to get things lined up just right before putting them down!

Veteran

I've found that if I use some UnDo on it, I can move it and it is still sticky. That's the only thing that works for me. You're right about it being sticky. It says it's super sticky and it sure is!

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24

LOL my family thinks crooked is part of my style!!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Grammy24

I am so with you Grammy24

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Mimiof123

Everybody always talks about how great UnDo is...so I finally bought some a year or two ago, but I never have the nerve to actually try it. By the time I decide to be brave, I'll probably find out it all evaporated

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to mrsdriver5

Judy, ur so funny!

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to Juansmom

Great idea Vae. Stick's way works too and I can relate to the "reaches out and grabs" onto what ever it is I am not ready for it to grab. LOL

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Vae

...that is why I stand up a lot when placing paper on paper. I have used Undu when necessary also.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sunnydi

I also stand up when placing something on my page. I have more control over where it goes.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics