Username Post: Using the cameo with a mac        (Topic#1592717)
jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

I am seriously considering getting the cameo, but concerned about how well it is working with the mac.

I would love to hear from those of you who are cameo owners and use an apple product with it.

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to jaxxan

I have a MacBook Pro and I use the Silhouette Studio software which can be downloaded from the Silhouette America site for free. You can design your cuts with it at any time, save them, and just connect the Silhouette up when you're ready to cut (or when it arrives - you don't need the machine to use the software). It does everything I need - love it!

I have the original Silhouette rather than the Cameo but if there is any difference, it certainly won't be worse. The Silhouette America website does a free cutting file each week to collect, and there are plenty of other places that do free cutting files too.

Get it - get it!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to RedSquirrel

Thank you for your feedback. I am so glad to hear you have not had any issues because you use a macbook pro, that is what I work on too.

But, how does it work without the machine?? Do you meant just to print the files?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to jaxxan

I think she means that you can play around with the software, buy and download images, and save projects, without actually having the machine to play with - it's what I'm doing right now, having ordered my Cameo last night.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to aquabunny

congrats on the new toy! I am still looking at it, not sure since I have cricut. I am afraid I won't touch my cricut once I get a cameo.

You will have a give a follow up report on how you like it Aqua bunny.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to jaxxan

Thanks. I had decided against a Cricut Expression, even with the Black Friday deals, because it would mostly just duplicate what I could already do with my baby bug, but I hit an amazing deal on Amazon last night on the Cameo. I figure there are things I can do with the Cameo I can't do with my Cricut (fonts, oh my gosh, fonts! a 12x12 mat!), but that there will also still be things I can do with my Cricut that I can't do with the Cameo (like specific shapes from the cartridges I already own, like Teddy Bear Parade), just like there are still things I can do with my Big Shot (emboss, cut chipboard, cut things quickly with very little setup, use up the tiniest of scraps) that I can't do with the electronic machines. I am already finding tons of stuff I love on the Silhouette store! But I'm sure I'll still get use from my Cricut, I wouldn't want to pay to download shapes that are similar to stuff in the cartridges I already have (like the state outlines on 50 States).

I went in my craft room earlier today, faced the wall where the Big Shot and Cricut are, and said, "Guys, we need to talk. A new machine is coming." My husband walked in and added, "Mommy loves all her children equally." I laughed and laughed.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to aquabunny

You are too funny. I am glad you are preparing your machines for their newest sibling.

You make a good case for using your machines for different things…you enabler! I do have to think about space as my craft room will eventually become our new baby's room.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to jaxxan

AB, congrats on the new machine!
You're right, there are plenty of things for each machine to do.
Don't forget the print and cut feature on the Cameo, I was worried it was going to be difficult to master that, a few YouTube videos and I was PnCing like I actually knew what I was doing!
Now if I could just stop running out of ink in my printer!
And thanks for the laugh with your post!, funny!

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to ChansGram

LOL Yes, Aquabunny is absolutely right, that's what I meant - thanks! You can do all the work, the designing, the downloading of files or uploading of photos, and preparing the cutting files without actually owning the machine. So you can start preparing your cutting files as soon as you download the software. You only need the machine to actually cut.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics