Username Post: All I want for Christmas is a new Point and Shoot....        (Topic#1592727)
m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk

But, which one? I have my DSLR, but my point and shoot is very outdated. I want one that fits in my purse so I have it at my disposal at all times. What do you have or what do you suggest?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to m.perk

I'm very happy with my little Sony Cybershot point and shoot. It does panoramas and I struggle to get that feature to work but its got to be me just not holding the camera steady enough.

The pictures really do turn out well. Mine is several years old so I'm sure they are even better now. I don't always have my purse with me but this fits nicely into my pocket.

My main camera is a larger point and shoot and I don't think the pictures are any better than my pocket camera to be honest.

I always take both cameras so the pocket one is a back up.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to m.perk

I have a tiny little Nikon that does not even have a memory card, it just plugs into my computer. Works well. The other thought is the Fuji camera that works like a Polaroid camera. It will print out your pictures right then and there and you can even get different colored backgrounds for the paper around the print. It is called an Instax camera

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Henri Jean

My sister has bought a few Nikon CoolPix cameras for herself and her husband and they seem to really like them. My siblings and I went in together last year and got my nephew a Canon Power Shot for a wedding gift and he loves it.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to dsouza

I also have a Sony Cybershot...so does my mom. I would like something new in the future, perhaps a Nikon or Canon bc I have heard good things...but I am invested in the Sony memory sticks...they are a diff style than any other camera uses...n I have several. So the smart thing would be to wait n buy nothing...til I really know what I know!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Juansmom

This is true Chris. My "bigger" camera is also a point and shoot and it is a Cannon Power shot and is nice but the pictures are very comparable to the Sony Cybershot. If Bill and I are both taking pictures I can't tell which of us took what picture - they both take excellent pictures.

I know what you mean about the memory card for the Sony. I've had 3 or 4 Sony cameras which took the same memory card and battery so when I got a new Sony camera I had extra memory stick and batteries.

However my newer pocket Sony camera has the same memory stick or card that my Canon has - its more of a standard size, not the smaller my past Sony's have used. My newer Cybershot also has a different size battery than my old Cybershots.

So if you get a new Cybershot it may not necessarily take the same size battery and memory cards as your old Sony's. I'm not sure any of the newer Sony cameras use the same batteries and memory sticks as the old ones.

So now I travel with an extra 3 different size batteries for my 3 cameras, a spare small memory card for my old Cybershot and the spare larger memory card for both my Canon and newer Cybershot.

And Bill wonder's why I carry such a large and heavy purse he has to carry. I've pretty much solved that by carrying a black back pack when we travel and he carries it for me.

And I hate that when you buy cameras now they don't come with a memory card! And my Cannon will not take pictures without the memory card in it! It goes through the motions and you think you are taking pictures but they aren't there! We called Cannon and if there is no memory card there are no pictures to retrieve.

We learned the hard way - Bill does Secret Shopper jobs and we ordered a pizza one night for a Secret Shopper assignments. To get paid he has to send pictures and even turn 2 slices over and photograph the bottom of the slice of pizza or the underside crust side. He did that as normal and then we ate the pizza only to find out that the memory card was not in the camera so there were no pictures to retrieve. We had to order another pizza to get pictures but didn't eat any of it. I think Blll took it to the neighbors.

Hey Jude
Veteran
Hey Jude
In response to Henri Jean

I'm a diehard Kodak girl, but am really tempted to try a Canon after seeing my friend's photos from her little camera.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to Hey Jude

I would like a new camera. I know NOTHING about them. What I would like is to take a class and have teacher teach me all about the camera I get. I like the little Fuji I have, but want one with more zoom.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to southgirl

I would love to take a photography class - I can only operate the point and shoots.

I keep thinking I might do that and learn to use the lenses and accessories but truth is I don't think I can carry all of the weight and the camera bag around everywhere. I think it is just too physically cumbersome for me to take on trips.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to southgirl

I think if you buy from ritz or wolf (I believe they are the same), they have free classes. They did when I bought my camera a little over a year ago anyway. The location just wasn't very convenient for me. I learned a lot by searching for my camera model on you tube and watching those videos.

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to AmyWho

Thanks for the insight ladies! I have a Sony CyberShot right now and do like it. When I googled best Point and Shoots, a few "off" brands popped up. My DSLR is Olypmus and that is one of the point and shoots that came up. I want to get something that is worth it since I am spending the money on it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics