Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Crops or home ?        (Topic#1592733)
Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24

Are going to crops really beneficial for you. I love to go and visit and see what others are doing and to check out new items. I have never been able to pack supplies and have what I need.I have rolling cases to take, but I just feel like I need it ALL!!! I love my cricut and use it all the time. I also have a gypsy but have just never really used it. The learning curve was not easy for me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Grammy24

The learning curve on the gypsy was not easy for me. I did use it a few times but my titles did not come out nicely because you have to weld manually to set the space between the letters. I hated that.

Now that I'm using CCR I can whip out a welded title in minutes and I'm happy with them!

If you haven't tried it you should - it is awesome. The learning curve is nothing - I was making welded titles within minutes of downloading it.

I love to go to crops. The only thing that works for me is to do layouts to a point and pack them away and then at crops I can visit and glue and finish all the layouts I started.

I did one today - even got all my cricut letters done. Its going to take about 30-40 minutes to assemble because there are a lot of letters to glue. The punchwork is done though so I don't have to worry about messing up a paper and not having another because I don't take extra paper except black cardstock for mats.

My system does not work for everyone but if you can take your projects partially finished and know exactly what you are going to do you can accomplish a lot at a crop and take a minimal amount of supplies.

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24
In response to Henri Jean

I have looked at CCR but have never experimented with it. Maybe I need to spend my time there for a while instead of trying again with my gypsy.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Grammy24

I love crops! I get so much done when I'm at a crop! I have a hard time sitting down and getting started at home. Seems like there's always some household task distracting me. I especially love going to crops at a scrapbook store because I know that I can buy anything I fail to pack!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to dsouza

I don't enjoy crops - I find all the conversation very distracting - but I don't mind scrapping with one or two other people.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I had planned to set aside 2 hours a night for a couple nights to devote to learning CCR. In 10 minutes I was welding and cutting. Its actually fun!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to aquabunny

I have found crops to be beneficial. A change of scenery is nice sometimes, there can be a lot of distractions at home. Often at a crop there are tools that can be used like punches, dies, etc. And depending on the crop there can even be games, raffles AND FOOD!

The crops Henri Jean goes to even have LINE DANCING & music! I wish we had crops like that here in LA.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I've never gone to a crop. Just the thought of packing stuff up doesn't interest me at all and I rarely leave the house without forgetting something as it is. I also like to zone out when I scrap and have a movie or music going.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to AmyWho

I don't get to go to many...basically they are more like workshops, but I enjoy them because it's dedicated scrap time. I usually like the people and get an opportunity to use someone's cricut! I like to share ideas n techniques!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to Grammy24

I love, love, love crops! In fact, i'm at one right now. The fellowship of scrappers is awesome, and you can get some great ideas. That being said, i also love scraping at home. I love to take a quiet time and just enjoy my own company.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to bonprof

When I first started scrapping, crops were HUGELY helpful to me. Everyone was so friendly and helpful and I got so many tips on how to use tools and different opinions on adhesive. I learned so many techniques from people at crops. I also gained so much confidence in my own scrapping, because people would admire the work I was doing....they would also give suggestions on what else I could do on my page and that helped me to learn to think differently. I also learned that there were no rules and no "right" or "wrong" to scrapping.

At the time, I didn't have a lot of scrapping supplies, so it was really easy to pack up what I had and go.

Now, it's a little more difficult to pack for a crop, but someone told me about making kits and that's what I do now. I still enjoy going to crops when I can, but I don't usually really get a lot of pages done...I'm usually busy meeting people and seeing what they are doing and explaining to others what I'm doing.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to justowen

This is true. Three or four times a year "She Scrapbooks" holds a big crop and it is always at the Waterfront or Waterside Inn at the Villages.

We always get the big ball room and it is right around the corner and a few feet down the hall from the lobby of the hotel. In the lobby is a big open area bar, tables for the café if you want to eat in the lobby instead of inside the café and on Saturday nights they have a live band in the big lobby area.

We hear it all on Saturday nights and the minute the band plays the first note of a line dance song its funny to watch so many of the ladies bolt from the scrap tables to make it to the line dance floor as the song begins.

We have all ages attending our crops - from older teenagers to just older period. Doesn't matter, its a mass exodus stampeded when a line dance starts.

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to bonprof

I love going to crops as well but unfortunately there are not many around me (that I know of anyway). My sister-in-laws both scrap and we have tried to get together but we just can't make it work. So I have started to set aside time at least 2 nights a week to get caught up on things.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to justowen

for years I worked at an lss and my job was running crop night. I worked from 3pm till 1am. It was a lot of fun. I know a lot of the ladies came just for the socializing. Some came just to work and didn't say much. I watched a lot of great friendships grow between strangers.

I have never been to a crop at a store for myself. I had a group of friends that would get together on weekends once a month to scrap. We also would go twice a year on a retreat together. Now I just scrap at home. I don't miss packing up all my stuff but I do miss scrapping with my friends. It was worth all the effort of packing everything up.

Edited by andrea m on 12-08-13 10:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to andrea m

I love crops....but I pack a TON....LOL

I get so much done at crops. Love being around so many women and talk scrap.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to PhotobearSam

Crops are not for me. I don't enjoy the packing and hauling and I find them terribly distracting. I don't seem to scrap well with others at all.

Expert
In response to olleharr

I love crops, even though I have a great desk setup at home--and have time to scrap at home. But anymore the crop needs to be at least 2 days, preferably more (and even better if it's out of town!!!) I generally save my big projects for my big multi-day crops (like Christmas, a vacation, or a specialized album like the baseball one I made at my last crop). Those projects work well at a crop because I can leave out my scraps without fear of losing them amongst the everyday mess of my regular desk. And it's easier to get in a groove in order to get as much of the project done at a crop when I have time to do it.

I am one that packs a lot (because I might end up using a lot and am happy to share) so it's really hard to do a short crop. If I'm planning to take some everyday photos to work on then I'll make up my personalized kits, but that's only special embellishments and PP that I might not take otherwise (but not CS/ribbon/etc.)

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to HuskerMom98

I have never been to a store to crop. Nor have I ever attended any other kind of crop most of you describe.

I only go to two major crops a year and we stay for three days in July and 4 days in January. There are about 35 ladies. We are divided into teams and each team is responsible for one meal to feed the whole group. The rest of the time you eat what someone else has prepared. We also bring snacks for a community table. They are all christians and many are related or go to the same church. It is where I first scrapped and learned so much.

I also meet with 3 or 4 ladies from my church on Friday nights occasionally. We scrap from the time we get off until midnight at the church.

That being said, I love to scrap at home too. I have my scraproom and can really get into it when I am alone.

I love doing all them.

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to idlewoman

I like going to crops, but I don't ever expect to get a lot done! I make kits for myself and don't bring a lot of extras, so my pages never get fully done at the crop. That used to bother me at first, but now I just write myself a note to remind myself of how I want to finish it off and do it at home.

I especially like having crops at my house. That gives me the best of both worlds - scrapping with friends and having all my stuff handy!

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to Mary W.

I don't know anyone else who scraps and have never been to a crop. I am very slow designing my pages. If I ever do go to a crop, I would follow Henri's method and have several LO's all planned in advance. I always work in a Page In Progress box and have four of them so it would be easy to have LO's ready to be glued down.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics