Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What have you learned recently?        (Topic#1592755)
Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.

Have you learned any new techniques, tried new products, experimented with a different scrap style? Tell us about it (link us a pic if you have one)!

I recently attended a card class (12 days of Christmans using G45 - fun!), and I learned a couple new things that I'm trying. We made a card with a clear window using a piece of transparency. I haven't used transparencies much, so this was something new for me. I love the look and am going to try to incorporate it into a scrapbook page.

I also recently saw a demonstration (don't even remember where I saw it) showing how to make a little shaker window for sequins. That one used a piece of page protector and double sided tape. Easy peasy but my non-creative brain would never have thought of it!

What new things have you learned lately?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Mary W.

Gilding flakes. I hadn't used them before but it is such fun turning things metallic.

I discovered on Saturday that trying to use them on a non-porous plastic Christmas bauble with liquid glue does not work, because neither are non-porous so it simply doesn't dry. Or not for hours. But with double-sided tape I made a beautiful striped metallic effect and then free-hand Xmas red Stickles in swirls in between.

Yeah, I know a photo would be best here but it's dark now. Another time maybe.

Huh. I was all set to link up to the product but it doesn't look as if it's sold here.

southgirl
Resident
southgirl
In response to RedSquirrel

ohhh squirrelly I love that idea!!!! I bought some flat type Xmas ornaments (I was going to put pictures in them) and I think i just might try that stripe thing. Thanks!!!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-09-13 01:35 PM
In response to southgirl

I finally just figured out how to keep my ATG tape from sticking when I'm not ready for it to stick yet (while I'm still lining things up). I know this is a small thing but for me it was really frustrating when making a bunch of cards.

This is a great thread... I can't wait to see what other people post because I need some fresh ideas!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Vae

Vae, was that the non-stick paper thing? It's not a small thing - share how ya did it, girl!

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to Vae

This probably isn't new to anybody but me and maybe one other stressed out person trying to stamp in a specific place, but the Stamp-a-ma-jig is the greatest thing since sliced bread and possibly the light bulb.

I'm fairly new to stamping and thought you could just look at the image on the back of the stamps and position accordingly (I can hear people laughing, really I can and it's okay). Then I got a stamp with no image at all on the back (I'm looking at you Deep Red!) which made positioning even worse/impossible.

Don't let your head explode and stop pulling your hair out~just get one of these. Or something similar. I almost gave away all my stamps because I was so distressed about not getting them right where I wanted them (nevermind all the paper I wasted). I'm probably the second to last person to know about this, but I'm pretty sure it prevented a nervous breakdown.
Products Referenced in This Post:

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to gin1902

LOL Gin, you should be on the Sales team!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to RedSquirrel

I've never heard of that thing-a-ma-jig. I will have to check it out.

So there, thanks to this thread, I've heard of this product.

Hmmmm can't think of anything else right now.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to pugs223

I learned about a 3 dimensional doodle pen and must get one when they come out.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I just found my Thing a ma jig still in the package. We are putting hardwood floors in my scrap room. All of my stuff is in the living room, bathtub/bathroom, office, and the 7 pieces of furniture are in the dining room. My house is out of control. On the upside, I have found some great items that I hadn't used yet. They are all going into a box and won't get put away until I have tried them. Every night I go through a couple of boxes and throw out/donate the stuff to school.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to 950nancy

I have learned to cut soda cans using my Cheery Lynn dies and my cuttlebug. The metal diecuts turn out beautifully.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to 950nancy

Well...for the last couple if months I have been participating in challenges here on sb.com...so my new skill has been to work with more of a creative purpose.I have allowed myself to scrap pics out of chronological order(:-O), I have also created pages for a purpose...that sounds funny, like I wasn't already purposefully scrapping...but my pages now are about more than getting pics on a page prettily. I am looking at them more creatively in the way I journal and design.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-10-13 11:04 AM
In response to Juansmom

Oops sorry Rosey! I took the waxy coated paper that came with the ATG refill rolls and used it as a barrier between my two papers. That way I could line up the top and get it all straight without the rest of it sticking before I was ready. HUGE timesaver for me!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-10-13 11:05 AM
In response to Vae

I wholeheartedly agree on the stampamajig but I think they need a shorter name for it. LOL.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Vae

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Vae

The newest thing was the using the atg shiny paper that comes between the rolls to put halfway under the items we are adheriing with the atg so you have some wiggle room before you adhere. Thanks Vae. I have had the stamp a magig for years. It is great.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to anda11

I don't get the ATG thing. How do you do that and when?

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24
In response to pinkpaperairedale

wow, I never heard of cutting cans, I will have to check it out.

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24
In response to anda11

Thanks for the ATG tip. I am going to try that.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to idlewoman

• idlewoman Said:
I don't get the ATG thing. How do you do that and when?

she said that she takes the shiny paper that is in the box from the ATG refills and uses it. I thought she said that she puts it halfway under something she is adhering with her atg cause it sticks hard and fast. That way she has room to work & place it properly.. does that make sense?

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics