Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Punch Question        (Topic#1592771)
Doreena
Governor
Doreena

So I see that punches are 20% off today.
I went browsing through the store and I saw one I thought was really pretty but how the heck do you glue it to your page?! The cut outs are so thin where would you put the adhesive?!

I have a punch that isn't as thin and I have problems attaching it w/out making a mess w/ my glue stick or ATG.

Any advice?

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Doreena

How about a Zig pen or Xyron ?
I use my fine point Zig for all my little cuts/edges.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to ChansGram

I have a zig writing pen but I didn't know anything about a zig glue pen. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

With the xyron, wouldn't the adhesive also fill in the holes of the punched shape therefore making the front of the shape, where the holes are, sticky to the touch?

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Doreena

I just dab a glue stick onto those delicate cut-outs, being very careful not to tear any tiny joins.

I keep an old magazine for glue stick work. I dab onto a page and get it sticky, then when I've finished I turn the page over and stick it to the previous one, so that it doesn't get used again. Once the magazine is all stuck together, it gets recycled.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to Doreena

You definately need a sticker machine. I have the xyron 250 and it is wonderful!!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to RedSquirrel UK

• RedSquirrel Said:
I just dab a glue stick onto those delicate cut-outs, being very careful not to tear any tiny joins.

I keep an old magazine for glue stick work. I dab onto a page and get it sticky, then when I've finished I turn the page over and stick it to the previous one, so that it doesn't get used again. Once the magazine is all stuck together, it gets recycled.

Great idea! I make such a mess w/ glue sticks no matter how hard I try not to! It's led to some real disasters! LOL!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
You definately need a sticker machine. I have the xyron 250 and it is wonderful!!

I have one but I don't think it would work in this case (see previous post for concern).
I think the zig pen is the way to go!

Thanks for your input though!

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Doreena

I advocate the zig pen - my favorite go-to for delicate adhesion. I like the xyron, too, but not for delicates. Too many "glue boogers."

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to meezerpleaser

Glue pen is great for this - I use Zig 2-way - I lay it on a piece of paper to put the glue but I have to keep moving the piece because it starts sticking the scrap paper I'm using.

I love to use the xyron for pieces like this too - you need a xyron glue eraser. It doesn't erase marks or color or anything but the little glops of adhesive from the xyron and I use it for other glue mishaps with the zip pen. When I use the xyron for letters I go over it with the xyron eraser to get the spider webs off.

The xyron eraser is a flat square thing. Don't know if they sell it in the super store or not - I pick up several when I find them in scrapbook stores. I've bought other glue erasers but they didn't work nearly as well as the one by xyron.

The sides and edge turns blackish from the glue globs you've erased and when that happens any scissors will cut the blackened piece off.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to meezerpleaser

Scotch makes a scrapbook glue that has a very fine tip that I use for delicate gluing. It's actually one of my favorite adhesives!

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to dsouza

I have 3 different size Xyron machines and use one of those for making stickers out of punch-outs. I also use a Xyron eraser for cleaning up any leftover sticky stuff, but usually that's not a problem.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Solitaire

I have 3 different size xyrons that I use. IMost of the time I use the Sakura quickie glue pen. It works great. It never comes undone later. It is only a couple dollars. It is pinpoint or you can make it larger by holding the glue for awhile. It is the same size as a gel pen. It is the same brand as Gelly roll pens.

Edited by anda11 on 12-10-13 02:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-10-13 03:34 PM
In response to anda11

I've had this same question/issue. I usually use the zig pen, but when I have a cut that has lots of details and it might be a little larger, one side of it dries before I even have time to finish drawing all the glue on.

So now I use spray adhesive, but the fumes are horrible, so I don't *really* recommend that. But it does get the delicate pieces ALL glued down evenly.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
I've had this same question/issue. I usually use the zig pen, but when I have a cut that has lots of details and it might be a little larger, one side of it dries before I even have time to finish drawing all the glue on.

So now I use spray adhesive, but the fumes are horrible, so I don't *really* recommend that. But it does get the delicate pieces ALL glued down evenly.

Love the new avi! You look gorgeous!
BTW - thanks for the info as well, LOL!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Doreena

I use this glue. It's inexpensive, dries fast and it works great. I actually have replaced my adhesive runners with this. One little bottle lasts forever. It has a very fine tip on one end and a larger applicator tip on the other end. I still only use the fine tip. It's great for everything.

Tombow - Mono Multi Liquid Glue

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to olleharr

I use my Xyron sticker maker on the detailed punches all the time. It works great. If you rub the piece really well before taking it off the backing it will reduce the amount of adhesive sticking through the intricate design. Then you can just rub your finger over the top once it's adhered. ALSO the machines are designed to only place adhesive where the paper is and not on the cut out pieces. Does that make sense?

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to GwynnAsbury

• GwynnAsbury Said:
I use my Xyron sticker maker on the detailed punches all the time. It works great. If you rub the piece really well before taking it off the backing it will reduce the amount of adhesive sticking through the intricate design. Then you can just rub your finger over the top once it's adhered. ALSO the machines are designed to only place adhesive where the paper is and not on the cut out pieces. Does that make sense?

Oh okay. Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Doreena

I take the cheap man's route,,,,

I put a bit of glue on a tooth pick and just barely brush the delicate cuts,,,,,

then I press the cut down and it sticks.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to CommaHolly

Yep. If my glue is gloppy, I take the edge of another piece of paper and scrape it to spread it thin.

I have the drying problem that was mentioned about the pens.

Edited by AmyWho on 12-11-13 07:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to AmyWho

I have the zig glue pen♥♥♥♥♥ love it! For little stuff like letters from the Cuttlebug, I hold them with a tweezer n dab the glue...it has a chisel tip like a marker n is very easy to control

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics