Username Post: HELP!!! VAULTED CEILING HOW TO MAKE STORAGE? STORAGE        (Topic#1592779)
Tweety14kath
Resident
Tweety14kath

I have 2,700 sq. Feet in a beautiful ART ROOM. but I needed the vertical storage space and of course I don't have it with these ceilings. HELP! Is there ANY way to utilize this huge awkward space? You can see my art room on my home page. Just look for my photos.
I really need some help.
Thank you all.
Huge,
kath allen

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Tweety14kath

I've just been looking in your Gallery. What a beautiful room! Those pics were from 2009 when it was still being built though - have you got any more recent ones so we can see what you've done with it after it was finished?

It seems to me that the only vertical space you have is on the end walls and on that chimney piece in the middle. I would be using those for displaying, I think, since you have so much storage around the outside. Were you thinking of shelving, or storing tall items?

I think having the sloping ceilings is lovely because you really can't hang or store anything there, so it enhances the feeling of space.

Tweety14kath
Resident
Tweety14kath
In response to RedSquirrel

Thank you so much for answering my letter. No, unfortunately it has been put off for this many years due to sooo many deaths and tragedies that have occurred in our family and my hubby can't do anything until I organize stuff somewhat! I have almost all of my equipment, paper, tools, sewing machines, Copics, Magnolia Stamps, Dies, Cuddlebug and Big Shot, BEADS,BEADS, and more BBEADS!.......Rolling Plastic Drawers ( good storage).RIBBON!!!!........STAMPS!!!....Jewelry making, but for Vintage Stick Pins, a cricut, (UNOPENED!!!!!!!!) My BAD !!!Magazines,Counted Cross Stich,Stencils,...oh yes.. & STAINED GLASS!!!....& MORE...IM TOO EMBARASSED TO TAKE A PHOTO OF THIS BEFORE MESS! It looks like a hoader!!! But I know when I can get more organized, it won't look like that. There will a place for everything & everything in it's place.phew! Well....thank you again. I appreciated you taking time for me.When it gets to looking better I'll take a photo. Hugz kath Allen

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom

My bedroom growing up was the exact thing...walls that were also ceilings.. I think that you could utilize some floor space... can you put a hutch or cabinet in the center somewhere? On top of the existing cabinets I'd put some shelves and store everything in clear jars or containers so you see what you have.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Juansmom

Good point Chris, Kath you have a LOT of flat surface space. You could afford to build some of it up with shelves up to where the ceiling joins so that at least some of your supplies are on display.

I'm sorry about your losses.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain

First off You have an awesome room.

There are a few things you can do...

You could use those hanging basket for fruits and veggies.

you could use a hanging pot and pan rack. they make a nice shelf with hooks to hang things from.

Or

You could have your husband hang some of the plastic drawer sets by putting chain through the holes in the frame of the set. You will need to drill a hole through the top of the drawer set. but if you hang them you can get them up and out of the way and you will be able to use the vertical storage space.

Heck25
Heck25 
Tenant
Heck25
In response to dorichatelain

I love your room. Even unfinished, you can see the potential. You will have so much awesome flat space that for small things, you could put baskets or small drawer units on top of the counters, if you want to. But it looks like you'll have a ton of storage space in the cabinets. Utilize that for sure with baskets or plastic shoeboxes. Plastic drawer units with casters are nice too, since they can be shoved around where you need them. If you still think you need some vertical storage, build a couple custom shelves...it will be angled in the back but that only means that the top shelf won't be as deep as the bottom one. And as another person said previously, a "pots & pans rack' sort of hanging rack for tools might be neat. All that said, I wouldn't want to cover it all with more storage or it will still feel cluttered. Leave some of it open.

Tweety14kath
Resident
Tweety14kath
In response to Heck25

Thank you all for your input. I truly need all I can get. It is 2014...... And u would not believe the mess. The steps up to the art room are teeny tiny but steep steps!!!.....and.... I FELL GOING UP ....THE STAIRS!!!...And dislocated my right knee! So, surgery last year....the right knee is pretty good but due to the Bariatric and reconstructive surgery I have acquired LYMPHADEMA in my left leg! I will have it from now on till I die. So, it takes me a good 45 seconds to get up there. I can't bear to take any pics of the art room cuz my family has taken all of my art work and supplies and just thrown them up there!!! I end up doing artwork in the breakfast room instead of climbing those nasty stairs!so everyone carried ALL OF MY STUFF & PLOPPED IT ANY AND EVERYWHERE!!! It's horrible.it's so bad that it looks like a " Hoarder!......yuk!... So I am slowly trying to start the big trek of ORGANIZING!!!.......Dear Lord.....please give me a better LEFT SIDE of THE BRAIN!!...well, I'll take some pics if I can get a small section started! Thank you all for all of your advise! God Bless! Luv, kath

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper

so sorry for your misfortunate steps. I hope that you feel better. I haven't been able to scrap lately either since we have one snow storm after another and the other morning, I slipped on some ice and I now have some pretty nasty looking bruises on my left side. Fortunately, they will heal and this too shall pass.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Unique scrapper

Can I come and stay with you and organise your room for you?

I'm so sorry you've been in the wars and your lovely room has got buried. My crafting desk is the only flat, uncovered work surface in our house. But if I don't use it, stuff just finds its way onto it and stays there. My battle-cry in the kitchen is "DON'T LEAVE THAT THERE!"

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics