Username Post: using crayons...        (Topic#1592833)
Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom

Has anyone ever used crayon in a layout? And does anyone know if it is safe for scrapbooking? I have a lot of children's art to scrap , and am wondering if I can put the art pieces right on a page, or do I photograph each one n scrap the pic...

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Juansmom

I have scrapped the actual pieces of my kids' art. I think scrapping the actual piece will preserve it longer than just leaving it on the fridge or in a box.

Refrigerator Art By Luvmyfam

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Luvmyfam

Wax crayons are not archival. After time the oil from the crayon will leech out into the papers around, especially if they get hot.

If you want the scrapbooks to last, I would take photos or scans of children's artwork and scrap those. The same for coloured pencils too - they may be OK but I wouldn't risk it. I have some coloured pencil drawings from my niece that I've only just taken down from the shelf. I shall scan them, especially as she has written on the back too, then I'll be able to display both sides.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to RedSquirrel

I scan all my kids art work and awards then I can print them out in whatever size pictures I need. I don't have to worry about my books that way.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to andrea m

That's what I was leaning towards...photographing them to put on a page. Thanks all for your input!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Juansmom

Hey Chris, I do both. I know crayons aren't safe. I still like to use the kids stuff in my books. I just adhere them to the page. I don't worry about the safety anymore because I switched to top load protectors...it is contained in the protector. When I used strap hinge...I still used them. I have taken some pics of some. :)My son is 30..It is really hard for me to not use them. Plus he can't make any more. lol

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to anda11

I'm with Linda...I like to use the "real" ones. They've all been packed in boxes for two to four decades with no problem, so in a scrapbook they should at least outlast me :>) I scan some so that the original artist can have their handiwork and I keep the copy, but if they don't claim it, I use it!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to mrsdriver5

so glad to see you post Honey.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to anda11

Thanks, Linda I haven't been doing much crafty stuff lately, but I read about it so that counts for something, right? Oh, and I also keep buying scrappy stuff. I'm looking forward to January and getting my life somewhat back to normal...I hope!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to mrsdriver5

I think reading about it counts....so does buying stuff. I just hope that you are able to get back to a new normal in Jan.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to anda11

I saw a great idea somewhere online. Someone took photos or scans of childrens artwork and then put it together in a photo book and printed in the photo store - like a grown up for real art book - it looks fab! with the dark/official background, titles for every pic in fancy letters, and name of the "artist" - soo official and fancy!
yes I know, we are scrappers here, who wants a printed book when you can make your own.. but there's plenty more to scrap))

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to OlesyaK.

oh right...I think you can get that done in target and other places...great idea!! thanks for thinking of that!!Then I could do one for every year of school!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics