Username Post: Die cutting        (Topic#1592835)
Lindatinkie
New Kid On the Block
Lindatinkie

I recently got a big shot and found some sizzlit dies the small square ones the back side is red not black when I ran it through it made an imprint of the letter on my top plate, do these dies only work with the old sizzix or should I have used the textured pad? Very confused.:(

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Lindatinkie

when I got my big shot...it came with a multipurpose platform. Yes you can cut the sizzlets. YOu need to turn the multipurpose thing to Tab 1. Then you put the 2 clear pads on top of it. You put the die & paper in between the 2 clear pads. then cut. It is normal to mark your clear plates.

Lindatinkie
New Kid On the Block
Lindatinkie
In response to anda11

Thanks. That's what I did, I guess it just scared me a little didn't expect it to show up on the plate so much.
I got a few of the old dies that you use with the old sizzix machine they are pretty thick looking, can you use these in the big shot?

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

yes you can use any die in there. The reg sizzix you are talking about..the bigz....same thickness as the regular. you still need the 2 clear plates. (there is a newer bigz that are too big for the machine...You will see that they are bigger than your machine. You can use the metal thin dies too. like quickutz...lifestyle crafts, spellbinders too. You just need to see which tab you need to use. The spellbinders did come out with a newer larger die that doesn't fit your machine. You will see. Maybe those are called grands..
The great thing is when you are cutting the sizzlets...it holds 6 or 8 dies at one time. When you are cutting titles....you can cut lots at once
I was scared too when I cut my first time too. lol

Edited by anda11 on 12-14-13 10:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to anda11

Yeah, all of your dies should be making an imprint on the clear plate, nothing to worry about there.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to aquabunny

Yes...the etching is normal, but maddening! I asked this question myself a long while back, and promptly bought brand new plates for my Cuttlebug...I wanted them fresh and new! Like anyone was gonna care what they looked like except me! So now I have clean plates for embossing n etched for cutting!

Lindatinkie
New Kid On the Block
Lindatinkie
In response to Juansmom

Thank you all for the info.
Now if I use the older thick sizzix dies, I think there used with the original sizzix machine from 15 years ago the one with the pull down lever, I still use 2 plates?
Also what is the purpose of the texture pad, foam like that I see used in a lot of video's?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

The older "Originals" dies are the same thickness as the newer Bigz dies, so you still need two mats. (The original machine did use only one mat, but it was much thicker than the new clear mats.)

I believe the texture pad is for the "Texturz" plates; there's also a sturdier red mat called the crease pad, used in place of one of the clear pads when cutting shapes that have fold lines (like pockets or envelopes).

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to aquabunny

A thought for you. When I got my BigKick a year ago, after posting some questions, I realized I had the new way Sizzix does their platform and a lot of the women here had "the old way". The old way is 1 platform with 3 tabs. The new one like I have (and I'm guessing you) is 3 separate pieces. The solo platform with shim comes with the machine and the thin die adapter (tab 3 on old platforms) is purchased separately. What I have noticed is that some dies will say to use the solo plus shim like the sizzlets (if you look at the shim itself it says to use it) but if it's a simple design, I just use the platform no shim and it's fine. Sometimes it feels like if I use "the sandwich recipe" I'm supposed to, it cuts a little too hard and I can loose a layer without losing cutting efficiency.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to scrapchica

This is all one of the hardest thing to learn and remember because of all the die types, you have to know what will work in your machine and then use the correct sandwich type. I have a Grand Calibur and I am always referring to the Spellbinders instruction tables. I wonder if Sizzix has a similar table? They have lots of die types now, Originals, Bigz, Thinletts, Embossletts, Framelettes.......I get so confused!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics