Username Post: PSA - Keep an eye out        (Topic#1592899)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-19-13 01:28 PM

~Public service announcement~

Did everyone hear about the data breach from Target? Check your credit cards and bank accounts to make sure there's nothing fishy if you shopped at Target between the day before Thanksgiving and this past Sunday (11/27-12/15).

I know we hear about this kind of stuff all the time these days, but this is the 2nd largest breach in the US (the largest was in 2007) and with how busy we all are right now, it's easy to forget to check your accounts every day.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to Vae

Thanks, Vae~good to know!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to gin1902

Thanks Vae - I haven't been in a Target for at least 5 years (and one is near my house) but its a reminder to check other charge statements too.

I bought some stuff last year from one of the kiosks that are in every mall with the dead sea beauty products.

I spent about $65.00 and found the charge was $187.00 - apparently the girl bought herself some products too. A mess and it never got straighted out.

She asked if I wanted my receipt in the bag and I watched her put it in only she palmed it so when I got home it wasn't there. I immediately checked my bank account on line and saw how much she took out and I knew why she only pretended to put the receipt in the bag.

Now I ask for receipts in hand!

Without my receipt I could show them my bank statement all day and I had nothing to back up what I actually bought.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
Thanks Vae - I haven't been in a Target for at least 5 years (and one is near my house) but its a reminder to check other charge statements too.

I bought some stuff last year from one of the kiosks that are in every mall with the dead sea beauty products.

I spent about $65.00 and found the charge was $187.00 - apparently the girl bought herself some products too. A mess and it never got straighted out.

She asked if I wanted my receipt in the bag and I watched her put it in only she palmed it so when I got home it wasn't there. I immediately checked my bank account on line and saw how much she took out and I knew why she only pretended to put the receipt in the bag.

Now I ask for receipts in hand!

Without my receipt I could show them my bank statement all day and I had nothing to back up what I actually bought.

Wow henri jean, good to know about the "palming" the receipt.

I also heard you should never let your credit card out of your sight but that is really hard to do, especially in restaurants.

One time I was out of town in a souvenir store and I noticed the cashier was acting all secretive and hinky. He squatted down by the bags as if he was getting a bag while still holding my credit card. It turned out he has a second credit card machine, the old fashion kind where you run a receipt over the card, down by the bags. Because I was watching him so closely, and he was acting so weird I had leaned over the counter to see what he was up to. I stopped him running my card, immediately got my card back and left. Busted! Boy it takes guts to try and pull something like that off.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Gelidy Gelato

That is really bad. I have a debit card called a NOW card that I use for restaurants and online purchases. I transfer money to it from my bank account but if it is lost or stolen it can't be traced to my account so whoever has it cannot use it to access my account.

If I have $100 on it - that is all they have access to and the money stolen can be recovered just like with a stolen credit card.

I like using that better than my actual debit card. And I check online constantly to see what has been put on it.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

I did hear about the Target breach....but wow on the palming of the receipt! I've never heard of that. Good to know! And that is crazy about the card being run twice. I think that happened to me once. I had a $500 charge for a snowboard (I've never snowboarded) on my card, but nothing else. It was on the same day that we had a restaurant charge and we recalled that the server took a very long time to run our card (out of our sight). No other charges showed up and our credit report was good when we checked it, so we think she ran our card for her snowboard purchase while she also ran it for the restaurant charge.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-19-13 10:39 PM
In response to Luvmyfam

I've disputed charges without having my receipt before. The credit card company *should* do an investigation and the merchant would have to submit the receipt with your signature on it. That's the whole point of the signature copy that they are required to keep. Of course, since this much time has passed it's probably too late now, but good to keep in mind for the future.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Vae

it was on our news. thanks for telling us though.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

I did that know that Vae - thought I needed my receipt. Never occurred to me that they would have a copy! YIKES! Next time I will know! Wish I had mentioned it sooner!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

• Henri Jean Said:
That is really bad. I have a debit card called a NOW card that I use for restaurants and online purchases. I transfer money to it from my bank account but if it is lost or stolen it can't be traced to my account so whoever has it cannot use it to access my account.

If I have $100 on it - that is all they have access to and the money stolen can be recovered just like with a stolen credit card.

I like using that better than my actual debit card. And I check online constantly to see what has been put on it.

Henri Jean
I just signed up for a "stand alone" card too. Thank you for the suggestion.

Turned out I shopped at Target, using my red Target card on the 16th, the day after the breach. Even though my bank said I had nothing to worry about, I am not feeling all that safe about it.

This is also coming right after I almost got scammed by fake AT&T hackers. They contacted me several times by phone, e-mail, AND by texts which all showed up as if there were from was AT&T. Thankfully I had just heard about the scam on a radio talk show and did not fall for any of it.

I think I may go back to just using cash...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I tend to loose cash. I don't know why. Once in Peru I got money out of my purse and $100 bill fell out with it. Iam bad about putting folded bills it in my pocket and when I pull my cell phone I've caught a couple dollars coming out with it and falling.

Plus I worry about my purse being lost or stolen.

I'm pretty comfortable with the stand alone card. I was shopping one day and the balance was low - I stopped for lunch with a friend and transferred more money over.

Plus they don't charge if I do overdraw it, just send email me a reminder to put more on it.

So far that has worked better for me than anything.

I also set up a second one on my account but in my son's name. If my son has an emergency and we are out of the country - baby medical bill (they have no insurance) or car repair he knows I keep a little bit of money on his card for him to use if necessary.

I'd rather he do that than use credit or a credit card.

He can't put more money on it out of my account but I can transfer money to him in seconds. Last week we were on the phone and he called. He mentioned something he needed but was short until payday. While we were on the phone I told him, "Go ahead and pay it, its on your card."

However, I did give him my checking account info and password before our last cruise so he can move money onto it now if I'm can't be reached but without that he can't transfer money from my account to it. He tells me he doesn't want to do that but I've made it clear that if something important happens, take the money out of my account and put it on his card.

I trust him implicitly but he has never transferred money onto it himself but there have been several times he's been in a pinch and I've transferred to his card.

Since they don't have medical insurance he is very tight some months if they've made trips to the doctor or emergency room and so the card really helps him. Then when his taxes come back every year he pays me back. But I never have to worry about their little family when I'm not here to help.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics