Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: a little "frugal-ness"        (Topic#1592915)
wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur

I'm being a little frugal and saving the inside envelope liners that are gold or silver (from Christmas cards). They work well for punches and sometimes I only need a small gold or silver embellishment. Also, I started clipping off the stamps that have Christmas designs to use for a border on a page or a card.

I know in the past we've had the frugal talks before on here but anyone have ideas to add?

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to wilbur

Anytime we can reuse or recycle, that is a good thing. Good for you!

cinderella4282
Expert
cinderella4282
In response to bonprof

I love to keep the tab tops from soda cans

I reuse old broken jewelry and stones

I keep tissue paper from presents

I keep the cardboard and boxes to use as cutouts or backgrounds

Instead of buying the burlap 12x12 sheets I bought an entire burlap sack for 2.99 at a farm supply store

Unfortunately all these savings go into stamps, inks, punches and paper, paper and more paper!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bonprof

I made 19 cards out of the bought cards I received last year. They turned out really pretty.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel

Great ideas! Wonderful thread Wilbur!

Rosey, I'm already looking at the cards from this year and wondering how to recycle them although the handmade ones will go in my scrapbook!

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to Henri Jean

I clean and save the round silvery peel-off tops that come inside some dry food containers (such as potato chips) after you unscrew the lid. They work very nicely for punching out shapes such as stars, etc.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Solitaire

I wonder how to recycle the Christmas Cards. Do you cut the outside design off and attach to a blank card front or do you make something like a post card out of the old Christmas card fronts? Sounds like something I want to do next year.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to wilbur

Wilbur, you can go either way. Or you can just cut out separate elements from the card and use them as embellishments. There are no rules. Just use your imagination and creativity.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Solitaire

thank you Solitaire. It would look good to cut off the fronts then mat them and stick on a blank card. I could even put on a few embellies like a small bow, stickles or a button. Cards with envelopes are on sale often. This would make nice, inexpensive cards and something I could work on all year.

Now, I'm gonna need to add to my 2014 goals - become a card maker!!!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Solitaire

Every couple of years I recycle past holiday cards ( I also take cards home from work ). I use my collection of punches and make embellishments from the sections of the cards that are decorative. Making cards this way is surprisingly easy. A few punches of the festive sections of recycled cards, a little ribbon, a couple brads, glitter, hand write the sayings with a fancy pen, and viola new card.
I have even had card making parties for kids and people new to scrapbooking. They loved making these cards because they were so simple and easy to make.

Ps the key is to turn the punch over and position the punch over the exact section you want.
And this would be a good use for a hexagon punch if you happen to have one.
Products Referenced in This Post:

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Gelidy Gelato

thanks Gelidy Gelato - I will use the punching to make some embellies for scrapbook pages as well as cards. Because I have many past Christmases to do, some pages will be plainly scrapped with a few embellies scattered around.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to wilbur

I buy fun foam, in different thicknesses, and put "terrrifically tacky tape" on both sides and use as pops dots. I cut to fit to size and the different colors helps blend in better.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to southgirl

For those who remove their stamps from wood blocks and stick them to the EZ Mount backing for use on acrylic blocks, scraps of the backing can also be used to make pop dots. This stuff is really sticky though so have something handy to clean your scissors when finished cutting them.

Last year I started saving the foil caps from wine bottles. I make radial cuts in them just long enough to be able to flatten the cap. Then I use a hole punch to cut out the center to use as an embellie. These can be used as is, or you can color them with inks or paint. Just be aware that ink from some pens will have to be heat set to prevent the ink from coming off.

I have not used them yet but have started saving the little net bags that the ginger and shallots I buy come in. I can see these being cut open for use or being used as is to hold other items on a page. Haven't been able to scrap this year but am looking forward to trying this in the coming year.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Ms. Fit

Never thought of those little netted bags - wouldn't that be great on a beach or ocean layout!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

Last year I made a boat load of gift tags from cards: here is one example.

tag on gift By Rockmom

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to rockmom

Mrs Fit - on one of my layouts I used a small net bag- (the kind they give out at weddings with rice in them) I attached it to the page and had flowers coming out of it.... really pretty. I have thought of using net from potato bags on a basketball page... just an idea!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to wilbur

Love that tag! I scrap my pretty handmade cards but this year I will be saving other pretty cards to do things with. Some will make beautiful embellies on pages! Just never thought of that.

Potato net bag for basketball. Very clever. Onion bags and bags oranges come in would work too!

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21

you can save your cereal boxes to make some thinner chipboard shapes

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21
In response to ScrapAddict21

I save gift cards and use them too. I started making a little album with them and I used my zutter to punch holes in them

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to ScrapAddict21

I use an old gift card to scrape and remove stickers and also to position small letters and such. It's a great little tool.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics