Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How are you using those "old" products and techniques?        (Topic#1592935)
justowen
Governor
justowen

How are YOU using those products and techniques that you once thought you were over? Feel free (or obligated ) to share lo's that show how you used them! (Because I'm a visual person and a bit dense at times. )

A spinoff of Henri's topic...because I started replying and then realized I was kind of off-topic and taking the thread down a different road. So, I thought I'd start a new topic to work with hers.

• corrie fan Said:
Hmmm, if you don't want to toss those items, why not challenge yourself to use them.

I used eyelets to attach baker's twine to a tag (it was a mini album). On the twine, I glued a pennant.

For stickers - I like the idea of popping them. You could also colour them, add glitter (stickles or other), cover with glossy accents - now that changes the look of a plain sticker.

If I ever get back to regular scrapbooking, that is what I want to do. Can anyone say hinges? how about plastic slide mounts? lol

LOL I have a drawer FULL of those slide mounts! I keep wanting to use them, but the end up in the pile on the desk and still not on the page. However, the mention of them in the same post as the twine is making me think I should try wrapping them with the twine! Or maybe I should try covering them with the Flower Soft...wonder if that glue will stick to plastic....hmmmm

I have started altering my old stickers....sanding them, using Distress Ink, using the Glossy Accents...

Also, my old frames are making their way back onto pages now, often with two or more layered to create a 'new' frame.

I've started using my vellum again, too...using it as a layer for a distressed page, the torn edges and the see-thoroughness (it's early I can't think ) makes it look like I tried harder than I did. I just have to remind myself that it's okay to use a whole 12x12 sheet and only have a little bit show through...I mean, seriously, I have a big ol' box of 12x12 vellum sheets!

This lo has vellum as one of the layers (torn and lightly inked), some of the bat stickers were sanded, and the moon and bats sticker was cut from a larger sticker (there was once a house with the moon and bats). Also, I used rub-ons as a kind of inking around the edge of the page...I have lots of sheets of rubons that aren't getting used much these days, so I tore one up and used it to distress/ink the edges of my page.

Be Batman By Justowen

This page has the old frames layered. It has a couple of the old "photo real" frames and one of the newer polaroid-ish frames. Also, the stork sticker was combined with the baby "special delivery" sticker. Actually, there are a lot of old stickers on this page, now that I look at it! (yay me! )

I'm Kind of a Big Deal By Justowen

On this one, I used one of the old frames (with the little roses) as a mat. I matted the pic with cs, then the frame, then matted it all on more cs..distressing the cs. I, also, used a vellum quote, cut apart, as the title...I've always had a hard time using my vellum quotes.

Every Artist.. By Justowen

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to justowen

Beautiful examples - I'm visual too and appreciate the show and tell!

I have a ton of velum too and I use it for journaling blocks now. I'm not one of the more artistic scrapbookers on the boards - not at all and that is why I bought it but it didn't work for me. Before getting rid of it I found I liked doing my journaling on it and sometimes even making some type of frame for it to hide the edges - but not always. I'm going to go look for some examples.

Gunfight at Ok Corral - Right By Henri Jean

Tombstone Arizona - Right By Henri Jean

Halloween on the Cruise Ship 1 By Henri Jean

Good Morning Vietnam - Page 2 - Bill and me riding in the cab By Henri Jean

Cruise Days 9, 10, 11 & 12 By Henri Jean

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Henri Jean

One way to use all those old stickers is to draw a large circle or oval on a page then cover with stickers, overlap to fill in all space. Just cover the line and leave the inside middle open. This makes a nice frame for a picture or for your journal. This can be done using a square or even just down one side for a border.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to wilbur

Henri! I love your idea! What did you use for the frames on the OK Corral pages? Is that Washi?

Wilbur! Your idea is fabulous!! That could use up a bunch of those tiny stickers from the sticker sneeze era! Do you stitch over the stickers or embellish in another way, or do you just leave the circle/square of stickers?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to justowen

I just cut thin scraps of scrap paper with my trimmer (and I have tons of that) and run them through my xyron and put them just over the edges so the edges are hidden.

I have done that many times, especially on rustic looking layouts.

justowen
Governor
justowen

I really like that technique! Thanks, Henri.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to justowen

Wilbur! Your idea is fabulous!! That could use up a bunch of those tiny stickers from the sticker sneeze era! Do you stitch over the stickers or embellish in another way, or do you just leave the circle/square of stickers?

I didn't stitch over but you could. My pages are in protectors and the stickers stay on fine.

I did a big oval that filled a 8.5 x 11 page -- put cooking stickers around(do 12:00 3:00 6:00 9:00 placement first then fill in around on line) Granny's Cooking was the title I put in the middle. I did another page in a wreath shape with a picture in the middle for Christmas. I want to do a sports sticker oval with GS picture in the middle. I've also seen a zoo page with animal stickers all around. I have lots of stickers!!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to wilbur

Now I wish I had some stickers but I missed the sticker craze so I don't have any!

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21

I had a bunch of alpha stickers that were partials. Here's how I used them up.

True Friendship By ScrapAddict21

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to ScrapAddict21

Renee, that is so cool!

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21

Here's an idea for photo corners

Beauty By ScrapAddict21

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21
In response to justowen

• justowen Said:
Renee, that is so cool!

Thank you! I just drew my own image on white printer paper then cut it out and traced onto the paper and then the stickers hide the line and you can do a little erasing as well.

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21

oh I also cut my letters to make different letters lol. Anyway to use them up, I'm game for. I hate throwing them away.

Add some rubons to the plastic slide mounts. I'm thinking I like your idea with the twine. You could even turn them into Christmas ornament and hang something in the middle of it

Edited by ScrapAddict21 on 12-22-13 12:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I have tons of alpha half-packs. Am going to see what I can do with them!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper

when I first started scrapbooking i bought a bunch of 1.5 squares i've had them forever and tried to come up with different ways to use them up. Luckily i have come up with some ideas so i am using them up nicely; they're almost gone. If ,in the future i need a 1.5 square, i'll buy a punch that way i can use up my scraps

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to cescrapper

I had a ton of those squares, too! A few weeks ago, I donated those to my dd's art class.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to justowen

I broke out my decorative scissors the other day to cut a cute and quick edge to a brown paper bag so that I could use it to "wrap" a present.

I also still use my good old templates to trace out shapes when I'm not in the mood to mess with my die cutting machines.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to KatieJo

I should try to use my decorative scissors more. I use the scallop, stamp, and a wavy edge fairly often, but the others (like the Victorian) all just hang around.

I still use my Coluzzle to cut circles.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to justowen

Justowen- I love the examples you have provided. I have always had a hard time using the frames I have but I love them. They are just not the right size but you just helped me figure out what to do with them! Thanks!

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to idlewoman

Henri,
I have used my vellum for journaling also but never thought to frame it. I love getting new ideas! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics