Username Post: sealing alcohol ink on glass        (Topic#1592949)
jcbreck
Diva
jcbreck

Help!
I made a last minute Christmas gift with my Tim Holtz alcohol inks on some glass containers. Now I can't find anywhere on the net that tells me how and if I need to seal them. I'm hearing water based and even Mod Podge (for glass?). Can anyone help in a hurry?

Thank you and Merry Christmas?

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to jcbreck

I can tell you for sure not to use krylon. That's how I messed up my glass Christmas projects. Rangers website also said not to, I believe.

Ranger's website says to use mod podge or something like that (a brush on) but when my ink was coming off with water, I didn't understand how using a water based sealer wouldn't do the same. I also don't like that tacky/sticky feeling mod podge ends up with.

Good luck. Come back and tell what you end up doing and how it works, please.

jcbreck
Diva
jcbreck
In response to AmyWho

Thanks Amy!
Can I ask what happened to your glass? Do you know why they say not to use a spray? I definitely don't want that tacky feeling either. I have come across a Cladine Helmuth sealer, and if I don't find anything else today, I'll probably just give the gift unsealed and tell them I will need to seal it later. Lame, but it's all I got :/

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to jcbreck

When we tried spraying them with krylon, the ink ran and came off in places, even though we just used a thin coat. What was weird was that I tested it on a very small item before the real thing and it worked ok.

I don't know why they say to use a brush on type.

jcbreck
Diva
jcbreck
In response to AmyWho

Thanks Amy! Merry Christmas

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to jcbreck

Merry Christmas to you too!

Permissions Topic Options