Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Your First Scrapbook        (Topic#1592991)
Sowa 
New Kid On the Block
  • Sowa on 12-27-13 09:23 AM

Hello all.

I've just signed up to scrapbook.com, and gearing up for my first project.

I'm going to be making a book about my recent holiday to Poland - as a result I've got over 2,000 photos to go through and a bag full of odds and ends like business cards, flyers and maps to trawl through.

Bit daunting as I've never been 'crafty' - no doubt I'll be doing a lot of reading in your tips and beginners forums!

So out of interest, what was your very first scrapbook project and how did it turn out? How big was your book in the end? Small or ambitious in size?

Would love to hear.

Sowa

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to Sowa

Welcome! This is a wonderful place to be. My first book was a family book. I did not know very much so i just put the photos on white pages and then added a few stickers. As i grew more conident in my craft, i learned to "wallpaper" the background with a pattern paper that brought out the best in my photos. Then i got creative with borders...it is a process. Look at the layouts on the gallery and see what you think. Take the beginners class here. We are here to spport you.

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to bonprof

My first project album was an 8x8 album I made for my dh as a Father's Day gift - it was about his first 20 years of fatherhood. I had been scrapbooking for a while by then, so I had a good feel for what I was doing. But it was the first time I coordinated the papers and embellishments throughout the whole album. I really like how it came out and have since made many other themed albums.

My advice to you is to let your own style develop as you work through it. The gallery here is a great place for some ideas and inspiration, but don't beat yourself up or stress about it if your pages don't end up looking like the ones you see. It is a learning process and we all end up with different looks and feel of our pages.

It sounds like a great project. Have fun with it, and let us see what you come up with!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

My very first scrapbook was in 1969 - I did two or them for my boyfriend and me. One was nearly all photos, more of a picture book on scrapbook pages and one was for momentos and ticket stubs, also in an old scrapbook.

We broke up in 1970 and he took the scrapbooks and I never scrapbooked again. Until we got back together 38 years later.

As soon as we started dating in 2006 and I started scrapbook our adventures. The old scrapbooks resurfaced a few years ago but were completely moldy. I was able to salvage a few photos and get them restored.

So I consider my first scrapbook to be the one I started in 2006 and it has our old photos scrapped in the front.

I do a ton of travel scrapbooking - I have discovered a ton of tips to organizing to scrap big trips.

On one trip I printed 1,800 photos when I got home and it was very manageable because I organized them as soon as they were developed.

Trips are a lot of fun to scrap and there are a lot of great embellishments for travel pages! I've never been to Poland - hope to go some day!

If you want to know things that have helped me in organizing trips so they are easy to scrap let me know and I'll tell you what works for me.

Right now I'm scrapping a trip from earlier this year and I'm on the Athens, Greece part. Then more Greek ports and then Egypt. I love Egypt! THen I think there are a few more Greek ports, then Istanbul. Also took a train to Bucharest, Transylvania (visited Dracula's castle) and Budapest, then went back to Venice. That was a 4 month trip and I'm about half-way through it maybe more.

We leave in about a week on a 113 day world cruise and that will be fun to scrap. But I will organize it before I start scrapping it so it won't be overwhelming.

I've never been to Poland - would love to go some day! Can't wait to see your pages! Have fun with them.

Oh - you asked how first book turned out. It was okay but I wish I had taken my time and thought it through a bit more. I wasn't organized and wasn't on scrapbook.com to get ideas. Now I would do it differently. I was just working on my own and didn't even know what a punch was. I had a pair of scissors (after a couple months I bought a trimmer) and cardstock and some patterned paper. Some repositionable adhesive and that was all I had! No punches or embellies or things that make pages pretty today.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Henri Jean

My top 10 tips that have helped me over the years.
1) divide & conquer! – separate your vacation (photos) into manageable sections. You can do it by “the day”, area or theme. I like to “bite off” my vacation into little 2 page or 4 page projects. If you try to do it all at once it’s easy to get overwhelmed and discouraged.
2) combine the stragglers (photos) – all of those 1-off photos you love but don’t really know what to do with, can be combined into a great page. Titles like “us being silly” or “local sites”. And it’s a great page to incorporate some of your memorabilia, postcards, etc.
3) my scanner is my new best friend – use your scanner (or camera) for images of your souvenirs, memorabilia, postcards, handouts, etc. It’s another layer of images you can add to your page.
4) “borrow” from the internet – The internet is a GREAT source of images for things you may have missed, cut off, didn’t photograph well, or when you need just 1 more photo. PS I always add a small photo credit, when I borrow.
5) Design an album – think of ways you can run some familiar elements throughout the entire album. Could be the colors/pattern you use, the text font you use, repeating certain elements, your placement choices, etc. It improves the “flow” of the album.
6) Not every page has to be a masterpiece stuff full of embellishments – the eye needs a chance to relax and take it all in. A few simple pages helps the viewer breath, don’t want to create stimulus overload. Easy to do when EVERY page has flowers, glitter, bling. EDIT.
7) It’s YOUR book and you can “do what you wanna” – do whatever makes you happy! Example: I like corny captions & titles.
8) Don’t be afraid to go back and change something if it bugs you – If something irks you, just go back and change it. It’s your book and you can change it.
9) If you screw up something just replace it – Always try to fix it first with chalk, cover ups, etc. but sometimes you just have to go out and buy another sheet of pattern paper or reprint a photo.
10) SPELL CHECK – Example: There is no rain in reindeer.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Welcome to SB.com!

Great tips and advice given already. My thought: my first scrapbook was my month long backpacking through Europe trip. I went to a scrapbook supply party, ordered like a mad woman and dove right in. I don't recall how many pages, but it isn't busting at the seams.

That was 14 years ago.

If I could give my then-self some advice it would be
1) Don't have the 1st thing you ever scrap be the biggest trip and experience you have taken and will probably ever take. Find some other photos and do a few practice layouts to see what comes naturally.

2) don't follow one company's style of product. Research and explore what's out there to find what inspires you the most

3) I didn't have SB.com then. If I did, I'd browse the gallery like crazy and save all the layouts that I like and incorporate that inspiration into my book.

4) you don't have to use same paper, style, etc for the whole book even it's one trip. I mean you can, but you don't HAVE to.

5) you don't have to scrap in order. Put your pics in order and take notes on days events to help organize pages. I can tell the pages I forced myself to when I wasn't feeling them just to scrap in chronological order. That's the beauty of page protectors, you can move your pages as necessary.

6) Have fun!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

Such excellent tips above Peg and Gelato.

Peg really nailed it about not making your most important book being your first one (she worded it better). Practice helps.

I made my wedding album before I discovered the possibilities of what I can do and ended up doing it over. That was a bad choice for a very early album!

I Gelato nailed it with "organize" - I organize and put in files. Then when I get to that file I divide it some more but it is very manageable.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Hi Sowa and welcome from another Brit! I'm near Bristol, not so far away from you.

I began big. I took photos for MIL's/FIL's ruby wedding anniversary celebration and decided to make them an album out of them between February and the beginning of May when they were coming out to meet us. 14 12"x12" pages in 11 weeks, including learning how to do it. I finished the last page the morning we picked them up from the airport.

They loved it so much that I was hooked.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to RedSquirrel

Hi welcome! My first really scrapbooking was back high school. My junior and senior year. I decided to scrapbook my life in high school. I had one for just high school articles and play program. Because I was in the drama club as a tech crew for a year and half. Before I didn't want to be part of the drama club anymore. The second one was mainly about what I saw in the paper. It mainly what was going on in the world at that time. I collected mainly about 9/11. I kept up with it until around 2006/07. I didn't get back into scrapbook until Aug 2012. So it been a year since I been really getting into the "art" of telling stories with my photos and let my artistic side take over.
I inherited most of both sides of my grandmother's family photos. Since both went into a nursing home in the past year. I decided to make a family history album about both families. I think my scrapbook skills. Are better now then in high school. Because I didn't know a thing about scrapbooking or the supplies that there are now.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-27-13 05:59 PM
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:

1) Don't have the 1st thing you ever scrap be the biggest trip and experience you have taken and will probably ever take. Find some other photos and do a few practice layouts to see what comes naturally.

This is exactly what I was going to say!

Welcome to the site! there are always lots of people here to help you out as you work on your project.

My first album was a book of me when I was a baby... I was starting chronologically. It's really amazing to look back at those pages and see how far I've come. I made a lot of mistakes though and some of them were on very important pages, so I'd definitely start with some of your less important pics until you've gotten comfortable.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

Exactly - a minor trip or vacation or weekend getaway is a fun thing to start with.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Vae

I don't think there are any real mistakes to make-- you just get better as you do it and learn new techniques.
I look at my first pages and realize I have come A LONG WAY but I do not think I need to re-do those pages or that they are bad.
It is all about preserving memories and being creative so just go for it-- I am creative but not really artistic. Don't expect your pages to be a piece of art right off the bat-- Enjoy the process and preserve the memories and you will be fine!
It isn't about what is "right" or "wrong" it is about where you are in your craft and what you like. It is a lot of fun to go back and see how far you have come and how your techniques have advanced.

Expert

I completely agree with the "don't start with something huge" idea. I would recommend starting with some every day, or even some older pictures you have, just to get some practice in. In the meantime I would also recommend that you start to organize for your big Poland book, but not necessarily diving right into making the layouts.

My first album was for my oldest son, starting right before he was pregnant, and only making it to about 6 months before I filled up the album! He was only 3 months old when I started so it was easy to do.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to HuskerMom98

I agree with that too. I wish my first album had been smaller. I started with all of my dad's childhood and family photos. That was 10 years ago and I'm still not done. It was such a big project and I was so new to scrapbooking that I kind of got bored with it and moved on to try other things. I thought I'd get back to it but still haven't. Actually that is my new years resolution for 2014. I really need to redo some pages also because I used a lot of things that weren't acid free because I wasn't wise to that then.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to olleharr

I did a book of our adventures together and a short cruise was in the first book. I hate to say it but I did go back and take some of those pages apart and rework them. However, it was interesting that I actually did really like some of my early work and saved and scanned it the way it was done. But there was some I couldn't live with - had to re-do. If I had the gallery here and other work to get ideas from it would have been better but I had no direction - completely on my own.

My second album was my wedding album. It got completely taken apart and redone! I was not ready to do it the way I wanted. Some day I really want want to redo it over again (for the third time)but it won't be anytime soon. Have too much current stuff to do. And now I know enough to know that I don't know how I want it to look. Did that make sense?

NMscrapper
Mayor
NMscrapper

Hi Sowa and welcome! My scrapbooking began in 2003 when d/h and I both inherited all of our old family photos . . . to add to the boxes of our own that were stacked in a closet.

I don't remember how it happened, but I saw scrapbook pages somewhere on the internet and got interested. Back then, about all we had were decorative scissors, cardstock and some stickers. That was probably a good thing, since I could progress as new things became available and as my confidence grew. Sb.com has always been my go-to for both products and inspiration.

My first project was a scrapbook of all of my hubby's son's pictures from babyhood on. It took a long while to complete, but there was no pressure to have it done immediately. I look back at it now and it seems really crude. I sometimes think of redoing it but hesitate to change what I did back then.

Starting with something small, or something that can be finished in sections, is great for your morale. You can look at it with a feeling of accomplishment and pride. Then, you can tackle your big project with new skills and confidence.

Good luck with your project. Can't wait to see your pages here.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to NMscrapper

my first project was in 2008 when we took a family cruise in the Mediterranean. It ended up being 3 books with pages added to each of the 12x12 albums and took me about 3 months of not steady work.
I knew NOTHING about scrapping back then but I went to a scrapbook event in Chattanooga, Tennessee (I live in NJ) where I took classes and bought a lot of stuff and came home and 3 weeks later went to a CKC in Connecticut and then the following summer attended more scrapping events and classes and now, I have a room full of stuff and fluff and numerous class kits that I try to put into good use. I am trying to stop buying any more supplies except for adhesive and well, sometimes I just HAVE to have that book of paper!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Unique scrapper

You had a great subject to scrap! I'm scrapping the Mediterranean portion of our last cruise now - such fun ports!

Sounds like you immediately really got into it and learned!

Would love to see you books! I bet they are awesome!

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

My first scrap pages to get my feet wet were pics of my cats. Once I felt comfortable after about 8-9 layouts, I scrapped a trip to Pigeon Forge, Nashville, Memphis and Tupelo with my Mom. It was an awesome trip and I liked that my first project had a start and a finish.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to Sowa

Remember also that not every photo needs to be scrapped! You can also use the photo sleeves that will hold several photos. Just remember to journal so that you will be able to tell others about your travel

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics