Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Scrapbooking Process question        (Topic#1593015)
New Kid On the Block

I just watched the video by Jill on Learn to Scrapbook Lesson 4 - Photo Organization and then I read the lesson by Denise Pauley on Photo Organization. I may not have gotten it correct, but it seems that Jill recommends scrapbooking from a storage box and Pauley recommends having your selected photos ready to go in a 3-ring binder. I know what works for me is what's best to do. But at this point I'm just trying to decide. What do you do? So you organize your projects in a photo box or binder?

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to ffbrooks7

I print most of my photos at home, and just print them when I'm ready to use them, as opposed to printing them and keeping them in a box or binder. If the photos are from a theme, such as Christmas, I'll name the folder accordingly, otherwise, they're just in folders by date. I've been thinking I should get better at tagging the photos or finding some other way to remind myself of what I want to use, but haven't done it yet.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Tina scraps

There are lots of different ways to organize your materials. I has gone through a few methods as the amount of stuff I had increased. For me, the big "AH HA!" light bulb moment, was when I went to vertical storage. I like to flip through my materials and there is less damage as you are not consistently taking things out of a box to find what you want.
I separate my photos (and memorabilia) into old fashion file folders and use a small office hanging file folder box.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I also just print at home as I want to scrap.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
There are lots of different ways to organize your materials. I has gone through a few methods as the amount of stuff I had increased. For me, the big "AH HA!" light bulb moment, was when I went to vertical storage. I like to flip through my materials and there is less damage as you are not consistently taking things out of a box to find what you want.
I separate my photos (and memorabilia) into old fashion file folders and use a small office hanging file folder box.

Ahhhh. Good thoughts here. This is helping.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to AmyWho

I have some of my older pics in boxes (like 10 yr old) and the newer pics are in 3 ring binders. I put the unscrapped on white paper or in the page pockets until I have time to scrap. I also put memoralbilia in the albums and notes/write up for journalizing. This way they are in the binder/album by year and can be looked at.

New Kid On the Block
In response to wilbur

• wilbur Said:
I have some of my older pics in boxes (like 10 yr old) and the newer pics are in 3 ring binders. I put the unscrapped on white paper or in the page pockets until I have time to scrap. I also put memoralbilia in the albums and notes/write up for journalizing. This way they are in the binder/album by year and can be looked at.

Great! Great. Great. This is very helpful. Thank you. Do you stack all the photos in the same pocket that are on the same page?

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to ffbrooks7

I use 8.5x11 pocket pages and can put 6 pictures on a page(pictures back to back). I don't usually put any inbetween but you can, there is room in the pockets. For example: An event of pictures might make 10 pocket pages in the book, but when cropped & scrapped would be 6 pages or less. All goes in transparencies. The memorabilia is in transparencies. I have a page of notebook paper before the event pictures with notes, date, journalizing,etc. If I don't have pictures printed I have the notebook page with the information in the place where the pictures go.

This system works well for me since I can't get every page done like I want in a timely manner.

If you use 12 x 12 pocket pages you can easily get 12 pictures on the page (back to back).

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to wilbur

I want to add that when I go to a crop, I pull what pages I want to work on and make page kits with those photos. I have the large 12 x 12 plastic paper holders that I use to hold each page kit.

I don't scrap chronologically but all is in the albums in chronological order. This is just a matter of preference.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to wilbur

If I have papers and embellies already picked out for my photos, then I store everything in a box. For just pics, I put them in a 3-ring binder.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Luvmyfam

After a trip I generally have 1,500-1,800 pictures printed.

When I get them home I lay out file folders (for some trips up to 100 of them) and put on the folder (not the file tab) the date and where we were or what we did. For example: Egypt - pyramids during the day - pyramids at night - Cairo museum - lunch - boat ride on the Nile - papyrus factory etc.

I get the names by going through my picture files on the computer - I take pictures everywhere so I just look on my computer at the pictures and put the stack of files on my lap and start labeling as they are in order in the file of pictures in my computer. That way I don't miss anything. I use them over and over again which is why I don't use the tab designed for the label. I just cross out the last entry and put the new port or event and date on the file.

Then I lay them all over all the furniture in the dining room and sometimes the living room too so I can see each one. If I have special 12 x 12 paper for the port, (for example, I have papers with the pyramids on them) I lay them on top of the file folder even though it is bigger.

THen I take all my ticket stubs and paper memorabilia and put it all on top of the proper file. Then I take my photos, and as I said, there were 1,800 one time and I walk around and put them all on top of the appropriate file folder. Then I put the stuff inside and put them into 2 verticle files on top of my file cabinet.

I just grab the next file because I scrap all my trips in chrono order. Inside it may be a family birthday party, a holiday, or a place overseas that we visited.

I grabbed one file and it said San Diego Zoo and the date on front. I probably scrapped 10 pages out of that one file. Sometimes there is one page in the file - sometimes a dozen pages.

Right now I'm scrapping the general Athens Greece photos and my next file folder is Athens, Greece - the Acropolis. Then I think it it Crete, Greece which is all in one folder.

I took a picture a year or so ago of my files - I'll go get them. I could never work out of a picture storage box - I like having my themed paper, pictures, momentos and embellies together if they are specific to that page.

My granddaughter had a Tinkerbell cake for her birthday and wore her Halloween Tinkerbell costume. In that file is Tinkerbell patterned paper, Tinkerbell embellies and the photos. I don't need to look for anything else.

If there is no themed paper in the file I do have to match paper and/or cardstock.

In this photo you can see where I have files with Russia, China, and even Australia to be worked but everything I need is in the files. I just grab the one in front.

This is the only system that works for me.

Scrapping to be Done By Henri Jean

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Henri Jean

Henri, you are so incredibly organized ! But I guess you'd have to be when you're scrapping 1800 pictures!!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to ChansGram

Y'all are all so full of great ideas. I have a question for Henri. Do you have any pictures you have printed, but not sorted? If so, where are they and how old are they? Do you only print pics when you are ready to sort? What would you do (where would you begin) if you have a bunch of pics from about 10 years ago that are printed, but not scrapped and then you have all the pictures since that have not been printed or scrapped? Make sense?

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to ffbrooks7

When I started scrapping, I was a bit overwhelmed with old photos and it took me a while to find a good storage system that worked for me.

Photos were in albums but they were those awful magnetic ones and they had brown edges around lots of the pages so they photos needed to come out asap to prevent damage.

I sorted by year first, 10 years at a time - piles across the dining room table, then added memorabilia to the piles. These things went into envelopes which were dated and into a photo box. Anything too big, went into a page protector and binder also labeled. I did cross reference that there was more than one on each. When I actually started scrapping these, I went through each envelope and put things in order and decided which things went together and started making page kits. I would alternate between old photos and new photos so I didn't get bored. Eventually (years) I ran out of old photos and just had newer digital photos. Undated photos were a huge problem, my parents were not so good about that when I was a child and since they had both passed by the time I started scrapping I had to guess at some of the dates by where we lived or the rank/patches on my dad's uniform.

Digital changed the way I do things now. I print at home and I know it probably cost me more but it is a good way for me to control things.

I make a folder in iPhoto for each month and collect all the miscellaneous photos there from our phones, cameras, etc. There are also folders for trips or special events that have lots of photos. I only print photos when I am ready to make up page kits. It is easy for me to see what is printed and what isn't and I don't have boxes of photos sitting around. DH backs up the computer on a regular basis so I don't need to worry about that and any photo taken with my iPhone or iPad is backed up to the cloud automatically.

Memorabilia is stored in zip lock bags labeled and kept in a file by date in my scrap area. I take the bags with me when I travel and just put things in every day of a trip and make a note in a travel journal what was done that day so I have the info for later. When I make page kits, I always check this file for anything I may want for a page. I don't necessarily scrap in order but I do put the pages in D-ring albums in order.

This is what worked for me, if divided page protectors had been around when I started scrapping, I may have done things differently. Good Luck finding a system that works for you.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ffbrooks7

Yeah, it makes perfect sense.

Even picture I even remotely plan to scrap is sorted.

I'm backing up a little bit here. Part of my daily routine when I take pictures, at home, on a cruise or in a hotel is to put them on my computer at night, eliminate blurry ones and ones of my that I absolutely hate to the to the point that it would be major embarrassment if anyone else saw.

For example, we were in Vietnam 2 years ago and my husband decided he needed a haircut, which he really did, we had been gone 2 or 3 months and he was very shaggy. He asked a local Vietnamese guy where there was a barber shop and the guy said, "I take you" (very broken English)and pointed to the back of his motorcycle and then the guy with him pointed to the back of his motorcycle for me to jump on." They said, "one dollar" so okay - for a dollar each, we'd take a ride to the barber shop so we jumped on.

I was 62 years old then (64 now), I was wearing a bright colored muumuu with a pointed hat on top - the kind of hat they wear while working in the rice fields. I am on the large size. My motor cycle was ahead of my husbands all the way and he took about 100 pictures of me perched on the back of the motorcycle riding through the streets of Vietnam. I look like a huge psychedelic frog with a pointed head from the back in every picture perched on that little tiny motorcycle seat. Not even a little bit flattering!

I told him not to ever, ever, under any circumstances go on another camera shooting spree of me from the back. He is forbidden to take pictures of me from behind again.

I did use one that was as awful as the others because it was a good street scene of the streets of Nha Trang but there was major deleting that night.

Every night I spent 15 or 20 minutes putting my pictures on my computer. I delete the bad ones.

Next I label every picure - 01-05-16 (1) Vietnam Monkey Island, 01-15-16 (2) Vietnam Monkey Island 01-05-16 01-15-16 (3) Vietnam haircut, etc.

Each day the pictures have the date, then the number of the picture in sequence number in parenthesis so they stay in order or else they will default to alphabetically and then they aren't in sequence anymore - I found that out the hard way. This is really important because Bill takes as many pictures (or more)than I do and I merge them together as if they were all taken on one camera.

Then the place and what the picture is about - like Monkey Island.

That is done to all of the reasonably decent pictures - sometimes hundreds for the day. However, once I have labeled one picture for that country or place or event I can copy paste it to the others and just change the sequence number in parenthesis. I also tweak the colors then so I don't have to do anything else to the photo but print save it in my complete photo file and/or put it on my flash to print.

My desktop has files labeled 2009 (1) Trip to South America 2009 (2) Photos at home, Nassau cruise 2010 (1) Italy, etc and those are in a file on my desktop. File is called "Complete photo files" and starts over with (1) every year so I can find something in seconds taken years ago.

Every night in the cruise ship cabin or hotel room or even if we are home and it was a birthday party or event, I take care of my photos.

After I have labeled all my photos they all go on a red flash drive so I have the whole trip on backup in case any thing happens to my computer - I just add to them every day, just takes a second to add each days and I go to another flash drive if I need to.

Now the "to print photos" part - out of 100 photos or even over 800 for the day like I had in Pompeii - I pick out the ones I ones I want to print. May be 20 - may be 100. I copy past those onto my black flash drive which are ones to be printed. They are labeled already, color is tweaked if necessary, bad ones are already gone and it is only the ones I think I will scrap and the only ones I'm going to print.

Those go on my black flash drive. I add to them every day so it is my print file. (The red flash is for all the photos not deleted in case something happens to my computer.)

When I get home from a trip I go to Walgreens the next day with that flash drive and print them all. Only the ones I plan to scrap will be put on that black flash drive every night. If I don't use some of them in my scrapbooks they go to my mother or family members or I will find other things to do with them. My mother has a collection of us riding an elephant in Thailand because I printed too many. Sometimes I will use my Slice and cut letters out of the extras. That looks cool - should do it more often.

Now, to help me organize to scrap trips even more, after I work through my pictures every night, usually while my husband is in the shower or while he is watching tv, I also open a file on my desktop called "trip journal".

It has the first day typed out as Monday, June 1st and the year underlined and then all my notes and what we did, what we ate, what I thought - funny stories and things that were said. Its all there.

I am scrapping Athens, Greece - the general pages about the hop-on hop-off (HOHO) busses now and the pictures from the top of the double decker bus. I grabbed that front file folder - everything was there, for this one, even patterned paper for Athens, all embellies, momentos and photos. Then I went into my trip journal doc file on my desk and quickly printed out that day's activities.

The pages won't take that long to work and then I since I know how much journaling I have I can decide on what to print my journaling on and what size and font, etc but I don't have to write it out or type it out, only edit it.

I keep up with that every night. If I don't I won't remember the details that are the most important to me.

Usually before I unpack when I get home I pull up the "complete photo" file on my desk where all the pictures will be in order and labeled starting with the date and then with the sequence number in parenthesis. I get out the stack of folders and start writing the dates and events to match. Then while I sort them all over the furniture. I unpack that night and also go through my stuff to be scrapped and stack them on the files.

The next day I do my prints and put them on the files and put them in the vertical folders.

It is such a routine to me that I can have the files ready with stuff gathered and sorted in about 1-2 hours and then it takes me about an hour to sort all the pictures into the correct files. So in 3 hours I can start with a box of memorabilia and 1,000+ photos and have them in files ready to scrap along with memorabilia and in many cases even the themed paper.

I have 6 huge 3-D binders of diecuts and embelles and they are sorted. If I've come in from a road trip I pull the USA book and each state is in alphabetical order so I just go to Nevada, Las Vegas if that is were I've been and throw that stuff into the verticle file with the Las Vegas pages to be done. Same with Moab Utah, San Francisco or Atlanta Georgia - just put it in the file and its ready to scrap. Takes seconds.

If its a holiday I'm scrapping, I just go to the holiday, birthday book and pull out what I want for that page.

If its international, I have a massively thick 3D binder with different countries. I'm prepared for countries all over the world and have the stuff for it.

Then when I scrap the actual pages I double check the embellies and diecut books to make sure I haven't picked up something else I'd rather use with it.

But to answer the question, I have a big container of old photos. I know I will never scrap them, I'd too busy keeping up with life in the current tense. At one time I thought I would but I know my childhood photos and old family photos will be passed to the next generation in a box. If I ever quit travelling and have nothing else to scrap I may address them but I don't see that happening.

Everything I actually print, I plan to scrap so it goes in my files. I have more printed of Dracula's castle in Transylvania than I will ever use form earlier this year. I will make letters from extra photos, I will send them to family and friends and my mom will enjoy them since we are in them.

But yes, every picture is sorted except for the old box of childhood photos. And I don't expect that will ever be sorted.

If I had a lot of 10 year old pictures that need to be sorted to possible scrap I would get file folders and start breaking it down. Actually once you get into it - it won't be that bad, its just getting a plan and starting it.

I would look at the first picture and put Christmas, 2001 or 1st grade or something general about the picture. Lay the file down so you can put other similar photos in it. Then make a file for the next one.

Since you are going back 10 years you may not have dates or know the years. You may want to scrap by category.

Put Christmas on one file and then make a Christmas book with all the Christmases - same with Halloween or Thanksgiving and a book with friends. You have to decide how you want to scrap them.

If you want to scrap them chronologically which may be difficult after so much time, then I would start with vertical files - that is all that works for me - and I recycle the files over and over and over and I finish scrapping what is in them.

Once you have decided if you want to file chronologically or by subject or what your plan is, then putting them in order that way. I would not worry about putting them into pages at this time - if you have 20 pictures of a vacation to Florida, put that in a Florida vacation file 2006 file and then when you grab that file you can break it down and put them in order.

I have room on my scrap table to work on 6 pages at a time so I can break large subjects down when I get to that point if they are just labeled "Florida vacation". Or when you sort, if there are a lot of Disneyworld or Miami or the Cape, you can do those file folders at the same time.

If there is a photo that slips between the cracks, and it has happened but not in a long time, it usually gets forgotten and I do the page without it and am disappointed later when I stumble across it so I have learned to sort them all.

Hold on to your hats - I have about 200-250 pages ready to scrap. We are leaving later this week on a 113 day world cruise so I will come home with at least that many more pages to scrap.

But... it is not overwhelming because it is all in order.

Also, scrapping trips is much faster for me than scrapping family, birthdays, etc. The trip pages are more documentation and the journaling is done and ready to edit. For each trip I come up with a theme of the way I want to do it and each page kind of falls in place. If I really focus I can scrap 8-10 pages in a day for trips but I can't for family and the ones where I want to be really creative.

People have told me that they don't want to go on a trip and spend time on the computer. Truth is, that is my down time every night while Bill showers and watches tv. I can hear the tv or even put my computer where I can see it but when I get home from a trip or a day sighseeing this is what I want to do. I can't wait to get into my pictures and edit them and get them ready to print and write my journaling.

Here is a funny story. I always throw in a funny story when one fits. We were in Tahiti all day. My husband bought me a beautiful flower arrangement - he nearly always keeps flowers in the cruise ship cabin for me. I had taken pictures all day and was anxious to see them.

I was really hot and sticky and told him I would get a really quick shower first, which I did while he waited his turn. Then while he was in the shower I worked on my pictures.

There were some I didn't recognize and since they were on my husband's camera I just opened a file for him and put his pictures in his file. I could tell they were pictures of the t-shirts he bought and a few license plates he had picked up.

He got out of the shower and I was just finishing with my pictures and he said, "You are finished already?" and waited like he wanted me to say something. I didn't. I didn't know what he was waiting for.

Then he said, "Did you look at ALL the pictures?" I said "Yes I did".

He said, "What about the ones I took back in the room?"

I said, "I didn't blow each of those up and look at them, they looked like pictures of your t-shirts and things you wanted, not port travel pictures so I put them in a file for you so you would have them."

He said, "Go back and look at those again please" so this time I looked at the ones I didn't look at before.

He had bought me a new muumuu in Tahiti and for a joke he had put it on and took pictures of himself in the mirror wearing my muumuu.

Unfortunately they were very blurry and the color was completely yellow from the cabin lighting - no way to fix them up. They are in my "complete photo files" on my desktop but I didn't put them on my flash drive to be printed.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Here are the pictures that go with the muumuu on the motorcycle story in Vietnam above - after telling the story I had to go pull the layouts. There are several of me on the motorcycle in the muumuu but only the one on the lower right is actually from back-center! It was the best of them, the rest were close up and really bad! But I had to use on of them!

Vietnam - Bill's Haircut By Henri Jean

Vietnam - Motorcycle Traffic By Henri Jean

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom

Oh Henri...you are such a good storyteller...and they are all such great stories!!!

I keep my UNscrapped photos in photo boxes. I try to keep them in order with index cards labeled with date, location, event, pertinent info, and any clever title or quote to use.

Let me add that I am VERY BEHIND now...I have to print 600 pics on my point n shoot camera, and at least that many on my 2nd camera. I've been broke n had no $$ to print...but I had $$ for more paper...go figure!

Edited by Juansmom on 12-29-13 08:40 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

I keep mine in a box.

New Kid On the Block

• Henri Jean Said:

Everything I actually print, I plan to scrap so it goes in my files. I have more printed of Dracula's castle in Transylvania than I will ever use form earlier this year. I will make letters from extra photos, I will send them to family and friends and my mom will enjoy them since we are in them.

If I had a lot of 10 year old pictures that need to be sorted to possible scrap I would get file folders and start breaking it down. Actually once you get into it - it won't be that bad, its just getting a plan and starting it.

I would look at the first picture and put Christmas, 2001 or 1st grade or something general about the picture. Lay the file down so you can put other similar photos in it. Then make a file for the next one.

Since you are going back 10 years you may not have dates or know the years. You may want to scrap by category.

Put Christmas on one file and then make a Christmas book with all the Christmases - same with Halloween or Thanksgiving and a book with friends. You have to decide how you want to scrap them.

If you want to scrap them chronologically which may be difficult after so much time, then I would start with vertical files - that is all that works for me - and I recycle the files over and over and over and I finish scrapping what is in them.

Once you have decided if you want to file chronologically or by subject or what your plan is, then putting them in order that way. I would not worry about putting them into pages at this time - if you have 20 pictures of a vacation to Florida, put that in a Florida vacation file 2006 file and then when you grab that file you can break it down and put them in order.

This is REALLY helpful. I hadn't even thought of sorting them by theme. Thank you!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ffbrooks7

Good luck and please share your projects!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics