Username Post: Trying to figure out what I did wrong        (Topic#1593053)
Expert

Hi..this is sort of scrapbook related. My brother in law passed away and my sis in law asked me to make picture boards.
I used foam board...used permanent scrapbook glue to cover with cardstock..that seemed to work fine, but the pictures that we glued on the cardstock kept falling off.
We tried piling heavy books on the boards the night before the wake, and it seemed to help for a while, but within a few hours, the pics just started curling up and some fell off.
I had to keep an eye on it all night to do a quick fix up when needed. Needless to say, I won't offer my services for another set of boards anytime soon.

Anyone have an idea what went wrong?

Niki8130
Veteran
Niki8130
In response to deedee49

What kind of adhesive are you using? I would maybe try something different.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Niki8130

could be the perm adhesive on the foam. it holds moisture and that would cause your pictures to fall off.

flintridgescrapper
Idol
flintridgescrapper
In response to Sneezy1956

I don't know what kind of adhesive you're using, but I made some picture boards for my father's funeral in April. I used my ATG, and they are still stuck tight on it. So as it's already been stating, maybe you could try a different adhesive.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to flintridgescrapper

We made one for my grandpa. I made sure to copy all the photos so that I was not ruining anything. We then used beacon 3 in one glue and my glue gun to attach everything.

When I worked at an lss we had a few ladies making these and a normal permanent tape runner would not hold the stuff on.

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to andrea m

What a lovely tribute.

I want to know what kind of adhesive you used, too. I can't imagine ATG adhesive falling off anything.

Veteran
In response to RedSquirrel

I too had to this problem when I made a Poster for my son-in-laws 30th b-day.I wish I had known about ATG then.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to deedee49

I don't know if you printed new photos but the (expensive) photo paper I am using now feels coated on the back, almost like a plastic finish. I have found that you can't write on it with any type of pen or it will smear, it never dries. This makes me think that most liquid glue, once dried will still pop off. I've had that happen. The best solution is ATG. I always use ATG on photos anyway because some photo paper will also buckle and not be smooth when using a liquid glue. Does that make sense?

I think the liquid glues work better on paper or something where it can sort of be absorbed, maybe that is not the right word but for some reason it seems to work for me.

Tenant
In response to CrimsonMama

I've done picture boards on foam board with ATG, it stuck just fine. It is sometimes hard to get the ATG to release its adhesive onto a slick surface, but if that happens I find applying more pressure and moving a little slower seems to work.

Tenant
In response to CrimsonMama

I've done picture boards on foam board with ATG, it stuck just fine. It is sometimes hard to get the ATG to release its adhesive onto a slick surface, but if that happens I find applying more pressure and moving a little slower seems to work.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to deedee49

check to see if the product is "permanent", you may see that it is called "repositionable". Repositionable adhesives sometimes are not as good.
Some one once gave me the advice to always use two types of glue so I also use an old fashion photo glue stick in the center.
Products Referenced in This Post:

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Did you use a glue stick or a liquid glue. I found out the hard way glue sticks won't hold.

Expert
In response to CorrieW

I used a permanent tape runner..we had Elmer's and an Ad tech one. I didn't have my ATG with me...I guess that could have been the problem.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to deedee49

Not sure if you mean the photos were coming off the cardstock, or the cardstock was coming off the board. Sometimes coated cardstock is hard to glue, but there is a glue called memory mount and I apply it with a cheap paint brush or use the tip of a toothpick for tiny gems. That stuff is awesome.

Also for memory boards I started making LOs and displaying them on the board. After the service you can put them in an album and give to the widow(er) for a keepsake. Just don't permanently glue the LOs to the board.

Expert
In response to Lauri D

the photos were coming off the cardstock..which I though was crazy. Never had a problem with my scrapbooks. Must have something to do with it being vertical? And we used permanent bond.

Your LO idea is a good one though.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics