Username Post: Old photos        (Topic#1593067)
New Kid On the Block

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and hope you might be able to help me out.
I have done a few scrapbooks over the last ten years, but never really had the room to do it. My husband and I finally finished my scrapbook nook! Yippee. Now I am getting ready to start my oldest sons scrapbook. I took out the photo album that I had started when was just baby. I want to use the pictures from there but they are stuck. It is one of those albums that the pages were sticky. The pages are now turning yellow an some photos are coming off, but others are stuck. Any ideas how to remove the photos without ruining them?

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to Alley2119

Hi Alley,

I ran into the same problem when I took some of my father's old pictures out of those old sticky pages. There were most that came off easily. But some were stuck on really well. When I went to try to slowly take it off little by little. I ended up damaging some of the photos.

I did find something it called un-du remover. It helps to remove things from sticky pages. You can find the un-du remover on Joann website or look at Wal Mart they had them stock at my Wal Mart. Also look on youtube for un-du remover. Some people have posted reviews about the product. It is a good product. But they do have a strong smell. So if you use it make sure you're in a room with good air circulation.

NMscrapper
Mayor
NMscrapper
In response to justartguy007

You could try dental floss. Just hold it as you would to floss your teeth and work it back and forth under the photo. Generally works pretty well.

Good luck, can't wait to see your new pages!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to NMscrapper

I've used the dental floss. It's time consuming but it does work.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to justartguy007

• justartguy007 Said:
Hi Alley,

I ran into the same problem when I took some of my father's old pictures out of those old sticky pages. There were most that came off easily. But some were stuck on really well. When I went to try to slowly take it off little by little. I ended up damaging some of the photos.

I did find something it called un-du remover. It helps to remove things from sticky pages. You can find the un-du remover on Joann website or look at Wal Mart they had them stock at my Wal Mart. Also look on youtube for un-du remover. Some people have posted reviews about the product. It is a good product. But they do have a strong smell. So if you use it make sure you're in a room with good air circulation.

I agree with you justartguy. I took old pictures out of an album from 1930's. The pitures were put in with bandage tape! I almost had to soak the pictures, and it did not harm the pics at all. I must have used 4 big bottles of the stuff. It is smelly but the smell did not hanf onto the pictures.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to southgirl

Is un-du and goo-gone the same thing? safe for pictures??

I am not trying to hi-jack, just wondered about this......

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to wilbur

No. Un-Du is specifically for photos I think. It will not harm them.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to flintridgescrapper

GooGone is somewhat oily. I use it all the time for price tags and stickers.

I have a big unused bottle of Un-Du, but I'm always afraid to use it. Someday I'll get the nerve and try it on a picture that I have duplicates of :>)

I live in CA and someone said that the "real" Un-Du can't be sold/shipped here because of environmental laws, so what I have isn't supposed to be as strong, but I don't know...that's just what I've been told~ It doesn't matter if I'm not using it anyway lol

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to mrsdriver5

thanks.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to wilbur

Very different products. As said above, Goo-Gone is very oily. Not meant for paper, will saturate paper and ruin it. I have found that Un-Do evaporates almost instantly but it has been a long time since I used it!

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to Henri Jean

Un-Du works fine on pictures. I have tons of old photos, some dating back to the late 1800s but I don't use them in any of my albums. I recommend making scans of all your old photos and using them in your albums and keeping the originals. If you can't get them out of the albums there is an app for iphone or android that you can download that lets you use your phone as a scanner. I have several copies of my old photos. I made scans of all of them and then made discs. I have one disc in our fire/gun safe and another in my in-laws fire/gun safe. Plus, I have my computer backed up.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics