Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Paper Sorting... Impossible!        (Topic#1593329)
Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney

Ok, so I need to sort my paper. It used to be sorted by color, but then I started buying more stacks and I sort of like keeping those together. But then I also thought I should separate it into boy, girl, and grown up. And separate out certain holiday/event/season things. And then....

Well, as you can guess, I am pretty confused right now! I did review the lesson on paper and cardstock from the scrapbook organization course. They make it sound easy, but I am completely paralyzed!

I would love to hear how you organize and why it works for you.

Thanks, Jane (Frau)

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Frau_Cooney

We discuss this a lot because it's something everyone struggles with. I buy a lot of pads, so since those are collections, I do not separate. I find those easy to flip though to find what I am looking for. I do have them arranged by, vintage, holiday, etc. so it's somewhat arranged by topic.

My single sheet paper, I have arranged some by topic like, motorcycle, football, dog. I have all of my Graphic 45 together. I keep kits all together and I like to put those in a big ziplock to keep it all together.

I know this is crazy, it probably sounds confusing.

Then I keep all of the solid cardstock together.

Ok, I'm probably just confusing you! LOL

I have three of these cropper hoppers for my single sheet.

3LittleLadies
Resident
3LittleLadies
In response to CrimsonMama

I keep my 6x6 pads in a wire basket organized by designer, and keep the basket on top of my desk.

I keep my 12x12 paper in an armoire. The pads are kept together on the top shelf. The single sheets are sorted by theme (Halloween, Christmas, Cardstock, ect) or designer (Crate Paper, Basic Grey, October Afternoon, ect) in Iris boxes. Then I stack the Iris boxes in the armoire.

I even keep my paper scraps in an Iris box and stack it in the armoire.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to 3LittleLadies

12x12 I have my solid cardstock sorted by basic ROYGBIV and then patterned cardstock sorted with same basic colors. I do set aside "special" paper so it's easy to find. I keep it in a cropper hopper and made dividers for each holiday/schooltime/birthd ay/wedding etc. I do have a few paper packs I left intact to keep the color blend right. I just wrote what they were on the glue side. Good luck. I've been rethinking paper storage a lot lately too.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to scrapchica

What CrimsonMama describes is basically how mine is. My solid cardstock is sorted by color (not ROYGBIV, because I don't separate out indigo as a separate color, and because I also have sections for brown, black/white, etc.). Any patterned paper that isn't part of a stack, doesn't have a theme, and has one largely predominant color (blue with dark blue stripes would go here, but blue with prominent green stripes would not, see below) is sorted the same way and goes on the same racks. So all my cardstock and paper of a particular color goes together on the same shelf. This rack also has spots for vellum, specialty papers, and DCWV cardstock stacks, which for some reason I don't take apart and sort into the colored shelves.

Then there's my patterned and themed paper, on a different rack. I'm not exaggerating when I say I sort this into about 20 different categories - baseball, nature, travel, hobbies, science, Christmas, food - all kinds of stuff. One of the categories on this rack is "patterns" - that is, papers without distinct themes, and also without predominant colors. Stripes, plaids, dots, gradients, anything like that.

I typically don't take stacks apart, but just stick them with the rest of their theme, if they have one.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to aquabunny

I totally understand and right now my paper is a disaster....my whole room is I had it cleaned up ocne upon a time but after the christmas crafting forget it it's totaled.

New Kid On the Block

Right now ... I only have my 3 favorite kinds of papers ... lots of Graphic45 and Tim Holtz and some Gina K papers. Each of these in their own folder stored in a clear Iris box file. I can't see buying large paper pads because when I look at them, I only see about 7 or 8 pieces that I really like and then figure the rest would be a waste.
All my textured solid color cardstock is standing up in one pink 'locker crate'.
This seems to be enough paper for me to make my journals.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I have 50% of my paper sorted by maker: Bo bunny, Echo park, Creative memories, Graphic 45..and so on. This paper is stored in an iris case rack that i got from target. My stacks also go on this rack. Everything is labeled with a label maker. With this paper goes matching brads, die cuts, etc. My kits and other collections go in a large basket. All of them are in their own plastic bags. Card stock goes in file folder (cm), and misc loose paper also goes in a file folder , but when I move in 3 wks, it will go in a Cropper Hopper mentioned above.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bonprof

After many tries and much frustration like you're having, I have found kind of an odd way of sorting my single sheet of paper. I actually have them in categories that normally come to MY mind when I'm searching for the right paper for a project. Small print, Medium print, Large print, Stripes, etc.

Like I said, it works for me. May not work for others. I think you just have to ask yourself when you do a layout what's the first thing you think of when you start searching.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to olleharr

I sort mine by the main color and a few categories but I always get stuck when it comes to the double sided ones that I really like both sides of.

I gave up a long time ago since I usually end up going through just about all of my paper every time (unless I have a specific one in mind).

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 01-05-14 12:12 AM
In response to AmyWho

• AmyWho Said:
I sort mine by the main color and a few categories but I always get stuck when it comes to the double sided ones that I really like both sides of.

I have this problem too. Still haven't come up with a good solution for it.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to Vae

I agree, it's an impossible task. Lisa is right though. You have to organize it the way you think.
When you create a baby girl page, do you think 'baby', 'pink', or 'doodle bug sugar and spice'?
The first answer: organize by theme, second: by color, the last by company.
75% of my collection is organized by company, the rest is by quality. I have the thin pp I bought when starting to scrap together, the specialty pp (flocked glittered embossed) together, and then there are the pp by companies that I don't have many by.

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee
In response to Rosita

I have three sets of paper:
1. Cardstock, sorted by color.
2. Pattern Paper sorted by vendor, in sets
3. Pattern Paper sorted by theme.

It seems to work for me!

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to scrapperbee

Thank you all so much for helping. The first thing I have learned is that most of you don't have an absolute organization but a combination menthod and that is probably what I will do.

I also love the suggestion of a "pattern" category that holds papers that are not of a particular theme and don't have a dominant color.

Now off to try again!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Vae

I "solve" the 2-sided paper conundrum by always buying at least 2 pieces. Then I file one sheet according to the first side, and the next sheet according to the second side. Once I pull the sheet, I can readily see it's 2-sided, and can always find the other sheet if I need more than one for a project. Confusing enough for you?

Expert
In response to dwelch

My paper storage keep evolving...because I keep buying...and my buying habits keep changing! And since I try to store my regularly used paper in such a way that it's easy to travel with it means I have lots of different ways to sort and store.

My CS is first divided by Bazzill vs. Non-Bazzill and then each of those are arranged by color, generally ROYGB and then neutrals--every color going from light to dark (I don't use or have a lot of pink & purple so I just put those wherever I have room.) I also have a lot of 8.5x11 CS that I keep around for diecutting and that's sorted by color.

My PP is all over! I have two Iris file folder-type carriers--one is for all things sports (papers and flat embellishments), the other has most of my paper packs (Echo Park, Basic Grey, Simple Stories, etc.) The PP that is not part of a pack is sorted by color and put into one of two paper holders based on whether or not the paper has that extra half inch of a tab (because I was finding that if I kept it all together I was missing the shorter papers in between the taller papers). Any PP that is themed (holiday, food, etc.--not stripes, dots, etc.) goes elsewhere. I have Iris boxes with themes like school, seasons, Cmas, birthday, that hold all of the theme's papers, stickers, embellies, etc. Some of the other themed PP just goes in a paper holder (sorted somehow) if I don't have an Iris box for it.

If I don't have a specific theme I'm looking for, then I look for paper based off of a color I want to use--if I do have a theme, I find that then look according to color/style.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to HuskerMom98

My solids are in Sterlite drawers by color groups red/orange/yellow, blue/green, pink/purple, brown/Kraft, black/white/grey..........

The collections/pads are kept together in empty page sleeves on a shelf in Iris containers....... And I have a small basket of 8x8, 6x6, 4x6 pads on top of the shelf. All my stickers/embellishments/T hickers are by category on clip it ups........ So a little of this and that to get it all organized.

And I did thin out and get rid of 8" worth of paper and a huge box of stickers. That has helped a ton!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to ScrappyMama6

My cardstock is sorted ROYGBV
My kits are kept together along with any embellishments I purchased with them.
The rest is sorted by season (fall, winter, spring, summer), holidays (Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving), football, travel, vintage/lace, steampunk.
Anything left is sorted by color.
I have paper racks I got when my LSS closed and I LOVE them!

Good luck. It took me years to come up with my system and fortunately it works so well I don't have to think about it anymore.

momtokatie
Expert
momtokatie
In response to terrihooper

I have mine sorted:

1. Cardstock, sorted by color.
2. Pattern Paper sorted by theme.(family, Christmas, stripes, etc.

This works for me at the moment, but is starting to get out of hand again.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
  • AmyWho Said:

I have this problem too. Still haven't come up with a good solution for it.

How much double sided do you have? Maybe "double sided" could be a category of it's own.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics