Username Post: What other hobbies do you do?        (Topic#1593339)
scrappinjaime
Tenant
scrappinjaime

I'm looking to start something I can do while watching tv. I surf the net but that only lasts for so long. I was thinking of crocheting or knitting. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two and why you would choose one over the other? Thank you, Jaime

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to scrappinjaime

In the past, I have gotten loop rug kits that I made for my niece & nephew's rooms. I've also embroidered, cut & sorted coupons, & done jigsaw puzzles while watching tv. Hope this helps!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to scrappinjaime

I watch a LOT of football, watching NFL playoffs right now. Football actually will keep me from scraping! I like photography, Ancestry research, and lots of other things but I think that crochet would be a good thing to do watching TV. I have my laptop with m in front of the TV and I can get on Ancestry.com while watching. That's not a "creative" hobby but I scrap some of my research, so it goes together.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to CrimsonMama

I LOVE ancestry.com! Have you had much luck?

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to flwrgrl

I've had awesome luck. I've met three cousins that I didn't know and we have shared tons of information. A new one just yesterday. I learned a lot about my maternal GF's family and have photos that I never dreamed I would have. It's a fun hobby.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

Never did any knitting, except for a small sample or two, but I used to crochet when I was younger. Crocheting uses a single hook, about 5 or 6 inches long, and is more compact than knitting, which uses 2 long needles. Crocheting is very versatile, and you can easily form many different shapes, which is more difficult with knitting. There's also a large variety of different stitches you can try. However, a crocheted item is more bulky, whereas a knitted item is flatter. I used to make doilies, mostly for the sake of art, also made a baby sweater set.

I also enjoyed doing needlepoint using fancy stitches. Any of these activities requires looking down to see what you're doing, so you may miss something if you're also watching TV.

I also taught myself to play classical piano. But you can't play a musical instrument and watch TV at the same time.

I used to do cake decorating when my family was young, but stopped when my kids grew up and moved away, and my husband became diabetic. There's no sugar substitute for decorating cakes.

My main interest right now is computer programming, but this requires concentrated focus so you really can't do anything else at the same time.

Edited by Solitaire on 01-07-14 11:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Solitaire

I make cards and ATC's while I watch TV. I also get on my laptop for FB, pinterest, and on here.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to terrihooper

I took up cake decorating a few years ago. Just for family and friends but it's another creative outlet and I can give it as a gift. I've done wedding cakes for two of my nephews and I have about a dozen more nieces and nephews waiting in the wings.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to olleharr

Knitting can be done while watching the TV because you don't have to look much at it, once you get it started. You have to keep your eyes on crochet.

The only other thing I do while watching TV is the ironing.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to RedSquirrel

I know this is crazy...but I love to read while watching tv...I can still follow along with both.

As for hobbies, I enjoy cooking n baking (although I don't do much of either lately) so I love to peruse cookbooks & collect recipes. I have been clipping n collecting recipes since 1978 (I was 11!). I glue them into marble composition books, with Elmer's glue!!!, and then when I use the recipe I write down in the margins any changes I made, who I made it for and who liked it, etc. My mom and I both have collections of marble recipe books, someday I will compile a "best of" collection! I do realize that Elmers is not archival...but I dont care for these books...neither are grease n batter splatters.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Juansmom

LOL Rosey, ironing is a great hobby ))))

I've done tons of crafty hobbies from knitting and crocheting to tatting and cross stitching. love all of them, and from time to time I go back and do something or other. I stopped cross stitching because by the time you sit down, pick up the chart, find the spot, find the floss, get the needle and make the first stitch, the kids get bored with whatever they were doing and running to get me. With scrapbooking it's easier, I can lay out or browse through the stickers or papers, then go play pictureka , then come back and glue some, then go make dinner, then come back etc.

anyway... knitting and crocheting are both great!
Knitting is better suited for heavier/warmer items (with thick yarn while you learn), once you get up to speed it's very fast. It also takes time to get used to the way the pieces of the sweater are formed and will change shape once steamed/washed. I've had occasions where I had to take apart and re-knit the same sweater several times. It's fast though. It's better suited for multi colors, you can change yarns as you go.

Crocheting is more lacy and takes longer to finish, but is much prettier at the end. IMHO. At least half of crocheting is focused on doilies and such, and is done in circular fashion. It's compact if you want to take it with you (e.g. waiting at the dr's office or at the bus.

I LOVE doing puzzles. it's a great thing to do while watching tv. You have to be good with patterns and very patient to really enjoy it. It's also cheapest hobby to try - plenty of cheap puzzles you can buy at second hand stores and garage sales.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to OlesyaK.

By the way, knitting/crocheting while watching TV is a great way to improve your eyesight - because you constantly refocus close on your hands then far on the tv screen, and thus train the eye muscles.

boysmom
Pro
boysmom

• RedSquirrel Said:
Knitting can be done while watching the TV because you don't have to look much at it, once you get it started. You have to keep your eyes on crochet.

The only other thing I do while watching TV is the ironing.

I was going to say the exact opposite. I have crocheted afghans in front of the TV, but need to keep my eyes on knitting. I guess it depends what you are good at. If you make a mistake knitting, then you need to pull out a whole bunch and it is hard to get the stitches back on the needle. Crocheted afghans are made of little squares which can be made one at a time. If you make a mistake, you lose very little of the whole project. Depending on the pattern and square size, I used to do 2 or 3 squares during the average TV show.

I also used to do needlepoint in front of the TV, but it needs to be a simple canvas and you can't stare at the TV the whole time.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to boysmom

You are right Louise, you lose less time if you make a mistake crocheting than knitting. I used to crochet and I had to keep my eyes on my work. I'm no knitter but my Mum used to sit in front of the TV and just knit and knit without looking down. I couldn't do that, but I suppose it depends on your skill level.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita

lol, I do both knitting and crocheting and can do either of those without looking at it much, but I've been doing both of them for over 30 years... I go back and forth between the 2. knitting can be done with small needles for small projects like scarves or socks.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

OMGosh, that is so awesome! I've learned ALOT on my husbands side, like there's an ancestor on his side that has our daughter's name. I thought that was so cool!

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to flwrgrl

I knit. I have tried to teach myself to crochet and I cant do it. I do it specifically while watching TV. Its amazing how much you can get done with watching the boob tube

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to terrihooper

I love to cook and try new recipes. I think it would be fun to get a pasta machine, but nothing comes close to my love of scrapbooking.

Kylagirl
Guru
Kylagirl
In response to bonprof

I sit with my iPad and browse through all my digital scrapping sites, also Pinterest for ideas, am watching the news now;)

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics