Username Post: speaking of vellum...        (Topic#1593451)
bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

I don't really know what to do with my sheets of vellum that recently came with a kit.

Help!!

mamou
mamou 
Veteran
mamou
  • mamou on 01-10-14 07:52 AM
In response to bonprof

Play with it a bit...you may find you like the effect it gives.
Lay it over a picture/photo, journaling, use it as a frame. Or layer it under the photo but over something you want to use that is distracting the layout or card.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to mamou

Journalize on velum, I print it with my printer or you can stamp on it.

Use it as a background over very busy paper to tone it down. The pattern will show through but not be overwhelming. I don't cover the whole page - sometimes 1/2 page or leave 2" border of busy-ness all around.

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to wilbur

I use to use vellum a lot and for all the reasons mentioned, journaling, printing pictures on it, toning down backgrounds. I still use it occasionally like this layout where I wanted something that felt light and subtle.
Just Dance By Sewflake

Frame, silhouette, title

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Sewflake

I did this lo a little while ago and broke out the vellum to use for a distressed layer, paper just seemed like too much, but the sheer quality of the vellum worked perfectly for the look I wanted.

Be Batman By Justowen

I love torn edges on vellum...either left as they are or inked.

nanof8 
Resident
In response to justowen

I use vellum lots mainly for journaling but also if I want a pocket to keep things on my page.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-10-14 02:49 PM
In response to nanof8

I feel like I use it on practically everything! In addition to the above ideas - make embellies, like the pinwheels on this page

Magical Vacation By Stick

Or print pics on it, you get a dreamy vintage-y look like the big center photo here (title also printed on vellum, and the blue circle in the bottom right corner was punched from vellum)

Gooseberry Falls State Park By Stick

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to Sewflake

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bonprof

I don't use vellum too often but when I do it's usually as background. I like printing photos on it. For this WWII reenactment page I printed a photo I took of a background scene and then layered it on top of a camouflage printed paper. It gave a nice transparent affect.

For this one I took a stock photo of my new mixer and printed it out on vellum to use as a focal background for my page. I like that translucency that you get with printed vellum. Instead of making it look like a printed photo, it looks more like background paper.

And for this one I used a printed vellum sheet from a paper pad as a background of clouds.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to olleharr

Vellum is super fun!!! Think layers or die cuts with it! Love it!!!

Stampin' Up just came out with some gold polka dot vellum and silver polka dot vellum....so pretty!!!

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to olleharr

These are great, thank you!

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to bonprof

Thank you all for the great ideas! I am definitely breaking out that vellum!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Mary W.

I use vellum just like any other paper now....diecut frames, tags, titles...use as a layer under photos...make flowers, pinwheels, other embellishments....

You can print your journaling or your photo onto the vellum as others have suggested....
You can also print patterns onto the vellum with your printer and then diecut or you can stamp or heat emboss onto the vellum....
Try running the vellum through your embossing folders for a really cool look!

You can make a little pocket to stick a tag with journaling or you can make one of the 'confetti pockets' that are popular right now!

Have fun with it!

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to kiyawinn

now I need to go and find my vellum. I think it is under one foot stack # 4 but I could be wrong.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics