Username Post: Paper sorting & storage - what kind of a system do you use?        (Topic#1593459)
JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss

One of my goals for 2014 is to get all my scrappy/art/craft supplies better organized so that they'll all be in one place and not all over the house like they are now. One of my big challenges is my paper collection - there are just SO many options! I have a fairly good idea how I'm going to sort it all out, now I just have to figure out how to store it.

This got me wondering what other scrappers do. How do you sort and store your papers? Have you had to change methods along the way as your paper collection grew? I'd love to hear what you have to say!

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to JenKoss

I use a couple of different systems. I think that is true of a lot of us because it works best to organize it as you personally will use it.

I use the magazine files (kind of like these shown) for my solid colored cardstock.

And I use hanging folders (also in a cart somewhat like the one shown) for my patterned papers and sort mostly by color. I have a few folders by theme (like Christmas and Cats etc).

I also have a few more packs now that are kept together by manufacturer/collection which I store in Art Bins for the moment because I plan to use them for particular projects only or first at least.

Basically, I sort pattern by how I will use it... together by collection or theme or color. And the hanging files do work well for me. I just remove the file and leaf through it as I need it.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to KatieJo

I just redid mine not too long ago. I was storing them all horizontally in a unit I bought. But I could only see the papers on top, & they had to be in there just so or the corner became bent. So I went vertical with all my single pages, alphabetizing all: By color, event, (birthday; Easter; school; etc) balloons, flowers, stripes, plaid, etc. This way, if it's a 2-sided paper, I'm able to see both sides. I waste less time looking for a specific page & that's huge!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to flwrgrl

I'm afraid I'm no help to you. My papers are in uncoordinated boxes on the floor behind my desk.

I have it sorted in clear bags or pads alphabetically by manufacturer, then a bag of single sheets, then cardstock (just in stacks, I haven't that much) then Christmas at the back.

The system works well for me but it really isn't pretty.

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I still haven't found a system that always works. I do have all my solids stored by color, horizontally, that works well for me. The dp are stored by theme, by collection, by pad, all vertically. That doesn't always work, especially when I am looking for coordinating papers by color if they don't happen to be in a pad or collection. I have thought of storing all my paper by color but just have not done it yet, then what do I do with those collections that are not in pad form?? And what if I need a theme and don't know what color I have it in??
Maybe thats why I spend so much time looking through my stash and probably always will. At least it refreshed my memory of what papers I have........ now where did I put that hurricane paper I need??

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to Sewflake

I have been thinking about this a lot lately too, both sorting and storing. I packed up a lot of my paper for a crop 2 years ago, and never unpacked it. I went to a crop again this weekend and realize that I kind of like it stored in the crate. I would need more crates for all my paper, but my do that. I put stacks in the crate and hanging folders as well. The folders have the loose patterned papers, sorted into groups that mean something to me. It is easy to reach in, pull out a stack or a folder, and look through it. And, because I do go to crops (weekend-long), this is also a portable option.

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to Frau_Cooney

I'm thinking of doing the hanging files thing for all my paper and scraps, and maybe even my alphabet stickers. I like things sorted by colour, although I do have some themed stuff too (pets, floral, Christmas, faith), so those would get their own files. Now I just have to find somewhere here to get what I need!

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to JenKoss

Paper storage By Andrea M

I store mine by collection in 2 gallon zip lock bags in my totes.

Niki8130
Veteran
Niki8130
In response to andrea m

I just resorted mine and think I got into a system that I am liking. I bought 12 x12 clear envelopes from Michael's in the scrapbook storage section. And I sorted all my paper by theme. I like it by theme rather then by color or by manufacture. Then I labeled each of the envelopes and put the papers inside. Now when I am doing a LO all have to do is grab the correct theme and find my paper.
Some themes are specific like holidays and some are generic like flowers, or designs.

Any way only had my papers like this for a week and so far I seem to like it. It sure is better then all the papers stuffed in a drawer like I had them before. I could never find anything.

Edited by Niki8130 on 01-16-14 08:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Veteran
In response to JenKoss

Hi, I've got the same resolution. I found this video that I think I'm going to use to get organized. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgylWJUi4TY

Also, you can take classes in storage for free on here. They are multiple weeks and a bit long, though.I haven't made it through the first week. :0

Good luck!

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to Niki8130

• Niki8130 Said:
I just resorted mine and think I got into a system that I am liking. I bought 12 x12 clear envelopes from Michael's in the scrapbook storage section. And I sorted all my paper by theme. I like it by theme rather then by color or by manufacture. Then I labeled each of the envelopes and put the papers inside. Now when I am doing a LO all have to do is grab the correct theme and find my paper.
Some themes are specific like holidays and some are generic like flowers, or designs.

I like this idea too, and for most of the colours I have it would work really well. Pink might be a problem though...I have a TON of pink paper (wanna guess what my favourite colour is LOL)? And these would sure be easier to find than the folders, I'm a-thinkin'.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to JenKoss

I have been using the white plastic 3 drawer sets for years. I had them on shelves & on the floor. They stack pretty high. I sort by themes....In each drawer.. I put all the stuff..Disney.. in goes the papers, the stickers, the embellies, the ribbon, the chipboard, the flat dies I have.. (not too many dies)The drawers are 2 inches thick. I also store my cardstock in those white scrapbook storage cubes for paper.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics