Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Funny albums!!        (Topic#1593465)
bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

When you look at your very first album, do you laugh or run out of the room screaming? I have to laugh! My pages had no wallpaper, journaling and stickers-that's it.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to bonprof

I only started scrapping in 2010 so I actually LIKE my first pages.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to bonprof

Oh Donna, I think lots of people out there do think that. Even though I had strap hinge albums....I only had about 2 or 3 layouts that were the white album page. I still remember when she got in the Mrs grossman fair ride stickers... I was in love. I still love that page. I remember how I felt when I found each sticker or die cut. I knew that I had to use colored paper for my backgrounds so I did. I did have pages that I hated but if I hated it...I stopped halfway & put them in a drawer. I did have a number of these. Years later, I took that drawer & redid the pages.
You are not going to believe t his but

I LOVE EVERY SINGLE PAGE of mine. I remember when the new sage paper came out....a different punch...stickers...I relive the joy I had when I found the stuff & bought it when I look at my pages.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to anda11

I still look at photos I took of my first album, and smile. I am still happy with it, even though I hadn't developed my own style at that stage.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to PhotobearSam

That's awesome. To everything a season... I appreciate the journey I have been on with my scrapbooking. It's great to see the growth and progress on each page. The best part? The wonderful women I've met along the way.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bonprof

I don't like looking at my first album that was done 10 years ago. I want to redo it because it's all of my father's childhood photos and I know I could do a much better job with them now. I have better knowledge, better skills, better style, better tools and I think they deserve a better permanent home.

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to olleharr

My first album was done 15 years ago, like others, it was done on white pages with pictures cut in strange shapes... I was never a fan of that style mostly because I love photography and take great pains to capture the best photo I can. While the first album did not display my best photography skills, I still hated cutting them into unusual shapes.
I am so pleased that the industry has evolved into as much of an art form as you want to invest or still plain and simple if that is your choice.

While I am not in love with my first album, I doubt I will ever change it, after all I could always take pictures of the first album pages and scrap them in the style I enjoy now!

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to Sewflake

I never really finished a complete album but I do laugh at my first pages. I started in 8.5X11 and know I do 12X12. I didn't want to get rid of those pages just because they remind me how far I have come so I actually scrapped the pages LOL! I keep them in my "Hodge Podge" album as I call it. It is my album with no particular subject.

nanof8 
Resident
In response to Sewflake

I started scrapbooking in 2005 and yes I look back on those first albums and I think how much my scrapbooking has changed and if I was scrapping that page/album now how I different it would be. It just like looking at old photos and saying did I really wear that or did I really like that hair style.

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to nanof8

My first album was my wedding album. As much as I love the photos and memories, I don't love the album because it is very plain. But I would not change it because (a) I don't have the time and (b) for me, the pictures are the most important thing and it serves its purpose.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Frau_Cooney

I did cringe for a while when I went back to my first album. It is my oldest son's baby book. However I had to remind myself that this was 12 years ago prior to these amazing collections that manufacturers put out now. Nothing matched or was part of a "collection" once and while you might find a printed paper with a matching sticker but that was a rarity.

The weren't any personal die cutting machines just the big behemoth machine at the store that you paid in advance for so many cuts.

It was creative memories, Mrs. Grossman's stickers and bazzil card stock and miscellaneous companies for embellishments. You would spend hours matching up stickers to card stock to miscellaneous printed papers while hoping it all would work with the pictures, which by the way were still shot on film.

I am coping by choosing to celebrate the "humble beginner" pages of my past by looking at how far this industry and my pages have evolved. If I hadn't made them I would not be able to appreciate my growth and all the learning experiences they brought ….as painful and ugly as they may be.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
That's awesome. To everything a season... I appreciate the journey I have been on with my scrapbooking. It's great to see the growth and progress on each page. The best part? The wonderful women I've met along the way.

You are so right about all of the fabulous women we have met through scrapping...I am so thankful for them too. I did have lots of pages like you are talking about. I hated them so much I had to stop working on them...so that is why I had to take the pics & do new ones years later cause it was taking a couple drawers.. lol
I think the majority are like you....:)

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to olleharr

I want to say thankfully ..that I was too afraid to do pics of something important....like a wedding or heritage..I was afraid of messing up my kids too so started with work pages or travel pages.

For those of you who did use heritage pics,wedding, baby, or some pics that were important in your first pages or album...I WOULD TOTALLY REDO any of those if you are not happy with them. It is your book..You want to love looking at it.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 01-14-14 03:21 PM
In response to anda11

I started scrapping in 1996. I didn't know anything at all, just that I wanted a pretty album for my pics. I used... gasp... Construction Paper! Now when I look back I just laugh. Some of my pages are 3 pictures just stuck to a blank page and that's it. Maybe in a diagonal if I was feeling "artsy". Those are the ones that I'd like to redo some day but I doubt I'll ever have time.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to Vae

I have only been scrapping for about 6 years. I have to say that I a still proud of my first scrapbook. But, I have to confess that I would NEVER have stayed with scrapbooking if I had to cut out all those letters by hand!!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to idlewoman

lol

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to idlewoman

• idlewoman Said:
I have only been scrapping for about 6 years. I have to say that I a still proud of my first scrapbook. But, I have to confess that I would NEVER have stayed with scrapbooking if I had to cut out all those letters by hand!!

Agree! Before kids I used to sit at my scrapping table for hours cutting out individual letters by hand. Now I complain that it takes too much time to cut them with the Cricut!

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to Frau_Cooney

I've been scrapbooking on and off since the early 2000's... and I have definitely redone some of those cringe-worthy early pages. I thought it was worth it.

Because of how things change, I've decided that I will not be scrapbooking my next wedding. I don't want to be in the "I hate this style" down the road with something so important.

Veteran
In response to Sewflake

Ha,ha! Sewflake, you sound like me. I recently went to a friend's house and saw her wedding photos from those days cropped in wierd shapes all over the pages, and thought "what did she do??? Those Beautiful pictures!" It brought back so many memories, though, of the stone age of scrapbooking. I remember before all these stickers and embellishments came out, I would fussy cut pictures out of magazines and paste them around my photos. I think I have an image I cut out of a kleenex box next to my precious pictures. I can't wait to re-scrap all those old albums with the amazing new pieces I've carefully hoarded, I mean, "selected" and save them from the dire straights of magnetic albums and kleenex cut-outs.

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to preraphaelitess

I started scrapping in 2002 and when I want a good laugh...I look at my first layouts from back then... I'm tempted to "re-do" some of them but dh says to keep them as is as it shows my progression in the craft..But with all these new techniques and products I'd so love to do some of them over! I started with the "deco scissors"...and several times I had "sticker sneeze" and cutting photos in odd shapes... When I look at those odd shaped photos I ask myself...WHAT was I thinking???

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics