Username Post: Jumbo size punches        (Topic#1593581)
Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

I love the Martha Stewart punches and have most of them in my collection, including the new 2-in-1 edge punches, which are the largest I have, but not as large as the jumbos.

I've been resisting the new jumbo (extra-large) size punches - there are now 7 of them available - because of the storage problem. I have just so much room to store, and simply can't accommodate the jumbo ones.

I like the jumbo scalloped heart punch, which was shown on HSN last week, as well as the others, but I figure I can get similar shapes with less storage space, by using dies such as Spellbinders. Of course, there's always cricut shapes, but I like the simplicity of using a handy punch, which doesn't involve any other machinery.

The superstore does carry the Martha Stewart extra-large (or jumbo) punches, but they don't have the scalloped heart. It's available on ebay -- not cheap and a hefty shipping charge is added due to the extra weight. You can also view the extra-large heart punch on HSN - it's item # 308-221, but it comes as a set along with a smaller edge punch.

Shown are 3 of the 6 extra-large punches available at the superstore.

What is your take on these large size punches?

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Solitaire

Hi! I understand where you are coming from on storage of oversized punches and tho' I have a ton of MS, I don't have these. I looked seriously at the snowflake, but I'm getting dies instead because they are easy to store. They cost more but there are several in a set. I try not to duplicate. If I have a die thar will do the job I don't get a punch.

This is why I don't have any of the WR Memory punches although there is one of the really big ones I love.

I also don't have the MS circle punch system but I might get that.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to CrimsonMama

Good question. Punches are easier than dies, but storing them is a hassle. I keep many of my punches on floating shelves and the really big one like the Lucky 8's go on my rolling Raksog (?) cart from ikea. I have a picture of my shovels in my gallery.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to 950nancy

I have the cricut but I like how easy it is to pull out a punch and use it. I have many of the super 8's (love them!) and the only place to store them is on a bottom shelf. I haven't seen the jumbos yet but they sound like something I would use.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to wilbur

I like the ease of grabbing a punch off the shelf too. I usually just invest in punches that I know I will use often. Basic shapes like circles, squares, ovals butterflies. I also have a few basic edge punches. For anything really intricate, like the snowflakes, I use dies. My cricut gets a workout too.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to olleharr

I have to load a picture but I love the alex cart for punch storage. The raskog is a kitchen cart which I also love because it holds tons of odds and ends. They both are on wheels and are some of my favortie ikea pieces

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to CorrieW

I use punches and dies. As mentioned, dies are so much easier to store. Punches are quicker but use a lot of space. I do not plan to add any more large punches to my collection... I think I have every super 8 and mini 8 that were ever made. I think I need to sell my super 8.... since I am mostly a cardmaker. I have an Expressions2 and a Slice. What I really lack is organizational strategies.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Oh my! EVERY Super 8 and Mini 8? Wowza I would love to see that. You must have closet space or something. How do you do it? I'm jealous of the collection but there is now way I could do it.

My husband and I are in the middle of swapping office space. I am giving up closet space but gaining built in shelf space and then I will add some shelves. When I see how it goes then I will see what I can do for punch storage.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to Solitaire

I do not have any cutting machines only lots and lots of punches! I am in the middle of moving to a new home with a fairly large scrap room. I have 5 ms punches and the rest are cm, ek success and fiskars. I think the ms punches will be displayed on a antique shelf; the rest will be in desk drawers near my work station. But, we'll see...

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics