Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Another one bites the dust.        (Topic#1593587)
JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss

So I read recently on the Creating Keepsakes FB page that they are no longer going to be publishing CK magazine anymore. Just like that. No warning, no notice, nothing. They just put out the November/December issue and then decided that's it. At least Scrapbooks, Etc. had the decency to put a postscript in the last letter from the editor telling us that they weren't going to be publishing anymore issues. And from what I've been reading on FB, people are having just as much or even more trouble getting money back from CK for their subscriptions as there was with SBE. There is a new magazine that's supposed to replace CK called Paper Crafts and Scrapbooking, but it's a digital-only magazine. I don't know about you, but I'm not into the whole digi-magazine thing. I like to have my inspiration in paper form so that I can save JUST the pages I want.

So are there ANY actual scrappy magazeines left now? I know here in Canada we have Canadian Scrapbooker, but it only comes out four times a year, and it's quite expensive.

PS. I think Simple Scrapbooks did it the best when they decided to stop publishing. They gave us lots of notice that they were discontinuing the magazine, and they put out the last issue as a collector's edition.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to JenKoss

oh my, just when I thought I need to purge and get rid of some of my older mags. I better keep them!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to wilbur

It was inevitable really. It's a shame but magazines clearly aren't viable for those companies and the writing has been on the wall for quite a while.

Veteran
In response to scrappercaz

I think they made too many changes.When your magazine consists of more ads than magazine,something is not right. Sorry to see it go.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to SHARON ELISE

I loved Simple Scrapbooks and Scrapbooks Etc when I was in Canada and then they both went bye bye...now in the UK there are still quite a few mags. You should be able to maybe get some at a WHS Smith Jen - I got British scrap mags there all the time before I moved over here.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Ladybing Tammy

This has been known for months; it just didn't happen out of the blue.

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to t-scraps

They did state in one of their last issues that they had decided to cease publication of the paper magazine...I kinda had a sneakin' suspicion months before as the issues I received seemed thinner and carried more ads then articles...
it's sad as I enjoyed getting my magazines and sitting down and reading through them.. and as of yet, even though I had renewed my subscription for another year or two...there's no refund...same with when scrapbooks, etc stopped issuing their paper magazines.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Scrapkaty

I knew they were going to close shop too when the magazines started looking more like a pamphlet...not even a real spine on them. I was sorry to see them go but I myself received a warning from them with the option to sign up for the on line magazine..so I didn't feel it was an abrupt end nor did I feel put out..I felt bad for them (and us). Anyway I prefer to hold a magazine in my hands so didn't sign up for the online thing yet and probably won't. There wasn't much left on my subscription anyway. Hard to believe there aren't any scrap. mags...boo.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to JenKoss

I sure do miss my scrapbook magazines!!

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to Vintageivy

When Northridge stopped publishing paper magazines and switched to digital, I requested a refund for my unused issues. They offered me credit instead, which I used to buy some of the back paper issues, and the rest for a scrapbooking on-line store. That store didn't carry very much, and nothing that really interested me. After waiting nearly a year, I ended up buying some overpriced papers from their store, that I could have gotten for less than a quarter the price from a real store.

Shayla4u
Tenant
Shayla4u
In response to Solitaire

It is a shame that they stopped publishing paper magazines. I'm not into the digital subscriptions either, so I will have to go to Scrapbook expo's or sites like this for inspiration.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to Shayla4u

I have not yet started with digital magazines. I'm sad to see the paper mags go. CK was my favorite.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to BlingQueenRia

I had just renewed my CK when an issue came out saying they would no longer be publishing a paper mag. I also received an e-mail from them. I didn't ask for a refund since I'm fine with digi. It leaves me more room for supplies since I won't be keeping more mags. I find more in the digi mags than the little bit they had in their paper mag at the end. For the price, it was a joke, but now I feel like I'm getting a bit more value for my $$. My choice would be for it to be in paper like it was a few years ago, with some good content and lots of quality pages, but obviously that choice is no longer available :>(

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to JenKoss

I requested a refund for my subscription, from CK and got it within a month.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Sunnydi

I subscribed to Cricut mag ($$$$) for one year. After 4 months I got an issue. Then they went digital. When I emailed them about the 11 remaining issues ( I was never able to access them online) I got a reply that stated that they were not under obligation to send magazines or digital issues and there were never refunds. There was no guarantee of delivery... in either format. I understand from others that they continue to bill you annually for a digital version and it is very difficult to get off their automated billing system. I only had one issue left of CK when they went digital and did not renew. Although pricey, there are 2 UK magazines you can purchase.

Resident
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Ok, so I somehow missed an era here. I remember when scrapbook magazines jsut started and I was shocked that there was enough interest in scrapbooking for there to be a magazine about it. I never subscribed because I loved coming up with my own layouts and felt I could get enough freebie layout ideas to do what I needed. So couple of questions here.
1. What, aside from layout ideas and news about products was interesting about these magazines?
2. Do you think this is the beginning of the end of scrapbooking as we know it, or do you think it's just going online?
3. (sort of similar to #2)Do you think the main reason these magazines are dying out is because magazines are just passe in general, or because they are being replaced by youtube, blogs, etc., or because the scrapbook world is dieing?
4.Where can someone get their projects published if not in these magazines.
5. Do you see back issues of these magazines becoming valuable?

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to preraphaelitess

I'm thinking that the production costs + postage constantly going up make good quality magazines too expensive to produce. The cost is passed on to the buyer and there comes a point that it's just too high and people quit subscribing/buying...so the mags have to get more advertisers, which means less in actual content...and a few more buyers drop away. It becomes a continual downhill spiral and with youtube and other sites having free tutorials and galleries, that $$$/year can go towards supplies instead of a pamphlet of advertisements. Just my take on it :>)

I also like to come up with my own LOs, but if I'm waiting for an appt. or just have a little extra time, I enjoy flipping through and getting re-inspired to do something creative, or learning a new technique. I don't even mind the ads, to a point, because it's a way to see new products, but the last couple of CK's were almost all ads.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to mrsdriver5

Personally, I think it's all going digital. Everyone is reading ebooks on tablets and e-readers now. I carry my tablet everywhere because I'm reading ebooks. I haven't yet jumped into e-magazines. The Google Play Books app sells magazines by the issue, but I can't remember which, if any, scrap mags they had.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to BlingQueenRia

I really do understand why its not profitable for a lot of these magazines to exist in print. Whether we admit it or not, what we used to get from magazines, we now get free online. For inspiration few places beat Pinterest and other online galleries that are free. For tutorials we have a lot of free places, especially YouTube. This is the same reason why a lot of printed newspapers are going out of business. I used to subscribe to several printed crafts magazines so I don't dislike them. But technology has changed business. Some businesses can adapt and some business can't. I expect that in less than 10 years crafts magazines will be totally obsolete.

Edited by Crafting Marfa on 01-23-14 01:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to Crafting Marfa

Okay, apparently I missed seeing the note that they were going tostop publishing the magazine LOL! I too can understand why it would be more profitable to publish online versus publishing in paper, but I still prefer paper magazines. I realize now that I should have seen it comijg too...I noticed the decline in the size and quality of what was being published, and the proportion of ads to actual content. I used to enjoy the ads though...it was always fun to see what was coming out.
I think I read though that they are going to continue tovpublish paper copies of specials eiditons periodically. I hope that's true...I love their special editions!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics