Username Post: Is the Cricut Gypsy still sold new? Why so much for used ones on ebay?        (Topic#1593593)
crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping

I have a cricut gypsy and i made the mistake of linking a bunch of cartridges to it I have never used it because i simply can't see the screen well enough. I liked the old computer software for designing but i don't think they have maintained that. Does my gypsy have any value and if i sell it do i need to unlink the cartridges. Any idea if this is possible. I don't want to break any rules or laws.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

A page on their website states: "While we are dedicated to providing ongoing support and repair options for the Cricut Gypsy™ device, we have made the decision to stop production on the current Cricut Gypsy™ model. [...] We will still offer support and content updates for the Cricut Gypsy™ device." (source: http://www.cricut.com/home/support/gypsy-re pair/) That'd be why used ones sell for so much.

The old software, Design Studio, is still supported but is no longer updated for new cartridges since April 2013. A new free program, similar to Design Studio, is now available, called Cricut Craft Room, but it requires an active internet connection in order to design and cut. I don't use it (I still use Design Studio), but I've read good things about it from other people here.

I don't believe it's possible to unlink carts from a Gypsy, but people sell them with the linked carts all the time.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to aquabunny

As far as I have been able to learn, you cannot unlink carts from the Gypsy. However, those carts can still be used in any Cricut. And seems like I read somewhere that you can use a linked cartridge in CCR, but I don't know about that for sure.
I have a Gypsy that I absolutely love, I use it all the time, and when it ever quits working, I'll be a very sad puppy. I don't use Design Studio or CCR because I can't bear being anywhere near a computer when not at work so do not use anything in my art that requires the use of a computer.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to chocolateaxel

I have a Gypsy with all of my carts linked to it (nearly 200). It's not possible to unlink the carts, though I really wish Provocraft would release a program to allow it. Once a cart has been linked to one Gypsy, it cannot be linked to another, so those cartridges lose value when you try to sell them on ebay. Not only that, but buying a spare Gypsy is useless because you won't be able to link your current carts to it anymore. Not sure how it works with CCR as I've never tried it.

I agree with aquabunny about the CCR. I spend enough time on my computer, and don't want to go near it when I take a break to do some papercrafting. Not only that, my computer is up in the attic and I do my papercrafting downstairs, so the two of them never meet.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Solitaire

If you don't use it often or don't like it, SELL IT!

I bought mine when they were clearancing them out at Michaels for $75, linked 30-ish carts to it, NEVER USED IT! Sold it on *Bay for $275! And I still have the carts if I ever want to use them in the Cricut.

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping
In response to ScrappyMama6

Thanks so much for all the helpful answers

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

Cricut is about to come out with a new machine.....some say a new type of Gypsy. Supposed to come out soon.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to PhotobearSam

If its used I would guess it has cartridges loaded on it which would account for the cost.

New Kid On the Block
In response to jaxxan

I sold my Cricut Expression and the Gypsy (with 59 carts) as a set. The buyer is getting an error message saying that the images can't be cut due to permission rights.

Does anyone know of a solution?
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by rednecknutty on 07-17-14 08:13 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics