Username Post: How sticky is sticky?        (Topic#1593611)
Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy

I am wondering for you ATG users out there...how much of the adhesive do you use on say a 4X6 picture-do you put some on corners, up and down on the sides, etc. I think I tend to be an "over user". Curious about how much other scrappers use to get their items to stick.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Vintageivy

I used to just do corner years ago when I was a Creative memories customer, I knew their stuff would hold up.
Since then, I have tried others and ran into problems so I now tend to probably over use as well.

I just bought the Scotch Pink ATG ¼ inch and I tend to do all sides and even some in the middle. I could probably get by with less.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to jaxxan

I also use a lot...all sides and some in the middle. I'd rather use too much than not enough and have things come loose.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to mrsdriver5

I do all four sides...but am starting to do just corner with the ATG.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Juansmom

Two sides with a dot in the middle.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
I also use a lot...all sides and some in the middle. I'd rather use too much than not enough and have things come loose.

THIS! Something about that click at the end of the strip that keeps you taping.........

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

I have been scrappin since 97.. NOT ONE PIc has ever fallen. On a pic..I use 1 or 2 STRIPS of the adhesive. They are tiny. I put in each corner, I put in the center, the sides in the midde, the middle on the sides of top & botom of pic. I also put a strip in 4 plices on the back. I swithched to squares...I quit using because it felt wasteful. I am using this kind..
I use my atg for many things but I never felt comfortable using it on pics..plus it adheres fast & I can't reposition so I use the strips for pics ^ papers.
I was taught that way by a cm rep back in the day.

Edited by anda11 on 01-19-14 08:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I have a Scotch ATG and just put it around the edge. It's not necessary to put it in the middle.

Edited by CrimsonMama on 01-20-14 08:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to CrimsonMama

I use some on all sides but not the middle.

My best friend uses it only a few dashes on the sides not full strips and she has not had any problems.

We are buying it in bulk between 4 of us and even with the exchange rate and shipping to Canada it's about 1.50 a roll so I have no qualms about using a ton cause it's still cheaper than anything else out there.

Expert
In response to PhotobearSam

I just do a strip (about 3") on the 4" sides--I never do all 4 sides on a digital 4x5.25 print, but I might if I have a bigger size, like 5x7 (but I rarely order those these days). If I'm doing a larger piece of paper I will just do two strips on the edge of the short side and maybe one in the middle. I avoid putting adhesive right on the edge, or in the corners because I will often decide to add a strip of paper behind the larger piece after I've put the big piece down (and I don't want to have to pull it all up).

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to HuskerMom98

Most of the time I use photo corners if I am using the original photos and sometimes copies of photos. But when I use my ATG or tape runner on the back of my photos. It's usually a little bit on all four corners and a tiny strip in the middle. I use to do three strips of tape one on each side and one in the middle.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to justartguy007

I did card-making first, and to me if a mat is not stuck down properly all the way round, it looks cheap. I just naturally did the same with LOs for quite a while, but I realised that you don't have to stick right to the edges all the way round. Sometimes it's actually better just to put a strip down the middle, because then you can change your mind on the design and tuck extra things under the edges of the photos.

If I'm tucking journalling behind my photo mats though, the photo needs to be stuck down firmly on the other 3 edges for the journalling spot to fit down the back.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to RedSquirrel UK

typically with the atg just a strip in the middle that way when I'm layering I can slip stuff under. true ATG tape is tough and doesn't move after you put it down.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Sneezy1956

The amount I use tends to vary, depending on how many embellishments and layers I think I might try to tuck underneath. Still my general rule of thumb is a single diagonal strip.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to MommaSaid

Like a few above, I use just a little on "big" things like pictures and mats. (Think of what a 5 looks like on dice) And it sticks GREAT. Too great, if it's a little crooked on the mat, its generally easier to leave crooked than try and retape.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to scrapchica

• scrapchica Said:
Like a few above, I use just a little on "big" things like pictures and mats. (Think of what a 5 looks like on dice) And it sticks GREAT. Too great, if it's a little crooked on the mat, its generally easier to leave crooked than try and retape.

Yes, that is one issue I often have, is laying down straight on a mat with all of the edges the same. If you have to lift it you might be in trouble. I have experienced liquid glue bumping and buckling so I don't use that on the photo. I do use it on a lot of other things so I can skoot it slightly to straighten before it dries. I usually manage ok but it's a headache to mess up the mat and have to start over and recut....not to mention the photo.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to CrimsonMama

Wait your pictures are suppose to mat straight???
I think its a rare day I can get it straight, it always seems a little off …..or maybe its just me.

poi
poi 
Tenant
poi
  • poi on 01-27-14 09:56 AM
In response to jaxxan

One in each corner and one in the middle

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics