Username Post: Does anyone color their Gesso ?        (Topic#1593615)
ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62

Would like to know if anyone adds color to their white Gesso ,before they use it for masking ect.

I have colored it after masking with sprays,inks, paints and watercolour pencils.

I've tried different things so far but am still not getting a consistent color through the gesso.

Can anyone offer any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Happy scrapping to all, cheers Angela

Edited by ajsophios62 on 01-19-14 03:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to ajsophios62

perhaps, using a craft sheet, spread the white gesso, color it with an ink of some kind and then spray with water, then "color" the area you want to color with the white (now altered) gesso? I am sure that this would work but to be honest, I have not actually tried it.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Unique scrapper

I've stirred ordinary acrylic craft paint into gesso and it's worked fine. I usually do that when I'm going to be painting over the gesso in that particular color of paint.

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to cindy312

Hi Ladies

I've just had a day with Wendy L experimenting with coloring Gesso.

Distress Inks, Alcohol Inks, even crackle paint mix well with the Gesso. Most paints did mix, with a smooth and even consistency. We tried heaps of different mediums/paints/inks/dyes and had so much fun.

Also tried coloring Course Pumice gel - fail, though Alcohol inks do tint it slightly.

Glass Bead gel- okay, colors well but is just hard to use when masking.

Clear Tar gel- massive win here. Gives an opaque semi transparent finish. A bit moist for masking but looks great applied with a soft brush.

Crackle Paste colored well but didn't crack as much as I'd hoped.

So if anyone else has any suggestions or ideas I'm keen to try them all.

Thanks for your advice and tips.

Angela

jorganne
Idol
jorganne
In response to ajsophios62

What about food coloring? I know you can mix it with glue and mod podge.

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to jorganne

I'll give it a go. Want something that makes a really rich red, maybe food coloring will do the trick.

and I hadn't thought of coloring glue - would make a nice glaze ect.

Thanks for the tip,
Angela

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to cindy312

• cindy312 Said:
I've stirred ordinary acrylic craft paint into gesso and it's worked fine. I usually do that when I'm going to be painting over the gesso in that particular color of paint.

What she said! I love doing this.

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to JenKoss

I use acrylics too. Also I color my modeling paste with acrylic paint as well.

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to aubrieannie

What about Dyan Reaveley's Dylusions spray inks? they are water based and are very vivid colors. Happy experimenting.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Scrapjanny

I wonder if you could mix the Tim Holtz alcohol ink into the gesso? You can buy the refill bottles of it...while Gesso may be new to scrapbookers and papercrafters... It has been used for decades by artists/painters. My hubby used to get it by the quart or gallons when he stretched his own canvas and applied gesso before painting abstracts. When you get it in the teeny size in the crafting area of a store you pay a few dollars for a bottle that holds about 8 ounces. Check for larger quantities at a place that actually sells supplies to artists who paint.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics