Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Cricut Explore vs. Expressions with SCAL vs. Siloutte        (Topic#1593669)
crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping

I am interested in buying a new machine to have more freedom with images. I would love to cut SVG files. The new explore only lets you do this with a monthly subscription fee. Any thoughts on these three options? I meant the SCAL 3 with the eclips. Sorry, i know SCAL 3 wont work with the Cricut.

Edited by crazyaboutscrapping on 01-22-14 02:01 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vivian Lake
Guru
Vivian Lake
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

silhouette cameo is what I recently bought and have not regretted it. I use it with both SCAL 3 and the free software studio it comes with.

you have the option of buying a monthly subscription to the Silhouette store or just paying for what you want.

OR just going to all the svg sites and get what you want (what I've been doing for a couple years now).

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping
In response to Vivian Lake

anyone know if the silhouette cuts chipboard?

ddcmsmom
Veteran
ddcmsmom
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

Yes, the Silhouette Cameo does cut chipboard, probably thin chipboard, but I think that's true with most of the machines. Check the Silhouette America website - they have some chipboard how to's.

I have the old Silhouette SD - I love it! Originally, I wanted to use SVGs, but in the end, I've used mostly cutting files from Silhouette. They're inexpensive, and it's just easier.

Edited by ddcmsmom on 01-22-14 04:36 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to ddcmsmom

Ok, the Expression no longer works with 3rd party software unless you can find it (which I do not recommend because most are no good). The Explore will allow you to cut SVGs ONLY if you pay the $9.99 monthly subscription. There may be a work around that though. The Silhouette will allow you to cut SVG files as well. BUT you will have to purchase the Designer's software. It is $50 however, there are deals out there. I paid $25 for mine. That is a one time fee. The Silhouette does cut chipboard. However, it only cuts very thin chipboard. Silhouette actually have chipboard which is formulated to work in the cameo/portrait. It does not have a lot of force. If you are wanting to cut chipboard, I would recommend the Gazelle or the Eclips. Both have more cutting force. The Gazelle is a little more than what the Explore will be when it is ready for purchase and the new Eclips will be less than the original. Both come with software. Both machines cut very well The Zing is good too. I do not own it, but have heard from my friend who owns one it is the best purchase she's ever made.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to HisGEM

I have found with the cameo if you cut cereal box thickness chipboard it does fine if I want something thicker which isn't to often I just stack several layers together. About the only think I consistently need chipboard for is album covers and I cut it with my old cutter.

The cameo cuts bazzill and american craft paper so smooth and in such tiny cuts it is my go to machine. Still have my expression so I can use my ctmh cartridges but I love the cameo and will never go back to Provo craft

That's just my 2 cent

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Sneezy1956

I cut chipboard with the Silhouette a lot. If I want it to look thicker I just use pop dots. You can get the designer software for $35.

New Kid On the Block
In response to 950nancy

Cricut Explore does not come out until the middle of February, but I believe it will cut chipboard. My Expression does and I think the other Cricuts do. Plus they just announced that the svg stuff (uploading and cutting) will be free. Free works for me.

BGT
BGT 
Resident
BGT
  • BGT on 01-24-14 05:21 AM
In response to ddcmsmom

That's exactly what I've been thinking.... that the images in the Silhouette store for purchase would just be easier to use than hunting down SVG's and having to do the outline process. (?? I'm not exactly sure how that is supposed to work.)

BGT
BGT 
Resident
BGT
  • BGT on 01-24-14 05:27 AM
In response to BGT

I'm a Cricut Expression 2 owner, but I've been researching and considering the Cameo for some time now. I was just about ready to take the big plunge when they announced the new Cricut Explore coming out. Now I'm in a wait-and-see mode. I want to see what the new Cricut has to offer and if it is going to live up to their promises this time. I'm just a little leery about switching to the Cameo, because I am very comfortable with the Cricut. However, I love the wide variety of images that the Silhouette online gallery offers for download. My one disappointment right now is that the Cameo doesn't seem to be compatible with the IPad. Bummer! If they would resolve that one issue, I think that would be the deciding factor for me and I would go with the Cameo. I've read so many good reviews of it online and very few negatives. I'd love to hear any feedback/suggestions from this forum. Thanks!

lemondropmemories
New Kid On the Block
lemondropmemories
In response to BGT

Cricut is letting users upload and cut svgs for free now. I'm assuming that means SCAL will work with the new machine. The subscription you've mentioned is only for Cricut's image library not to use svgs and can be cancelled at any time. Compared side-to-side The Explore is more attractive to me. I like the dual carriage idea (score/mark/draw and cut in one pass) and the option of access to 25,000 images for a whole month for less than I've paid for a cartridge. I also love free option of uploading my own images.

Courtney Lane Designs has Explore vs. Silhouette one of her recent blog entries and it's this chart that sold me on the Explore over the Cameo.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to lemondropmemories

Not really sure if that chart was accurate. No replaceable blades for the Cameo? I own the Cricut Expression and the Silhouette. In my experience, the Silhouette is a superior machine (don't have the newest Cricut). It cuts 100% better and the images are constantly on sale and you can get 150 images a month for $15.00 (on sale). I have also found that you can get almost any true type font online for free (love that part). People on Pinterest are always posting free images. I took a class from my LSS and was amazed at what the Silhouette can do. On the other hand, I like the idea of a dual cartridge. I also found that PC is hot and cold with their customer service. I would love to see a demo of the new Cricut. I have 128 cartridges that I need to start using again.

Expert
In response to 950nancy

So this is one of the places that the "Cameo doesn't have a replaceable blade" lie is coming from...SMH... Yes, technically you replace the entire housing system, not just the blade, but I've used both systems (old SD blades were replaced while continuing to use the same housing system) and honestly there's no big difference--other than it's MUCH easier to drop and ruin a skinny little blade than the who new system.

As for the rest of the chart...what a joke...obviously it was written up by someone with Cricut and not a unbiased "let's test and compare both products" person. The subscription plan they mention is the most useless one out there. As for all of the Cricut features...well, time and real users will tell...

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to HuskerMom98

I thought the same thing. I have 5 Cricuts and 1 Cameo. That being said, I think the Cameo is by far a better machine.
HSN didn't seem to do a very good demo on how the machine actually works, so like said above, it is a wait and see,
My question was (and still is!) is the machine going to actually cut better, so it can actually compare to the Cameo, or does it just have more bells and whistles?
How much more do we need it to do? when I would just be happy knowing it could actually cut a "round circle".
As far as the membership? So PC is giving unlimited access to their image library for $9.99 a month? So, if you don't continue your monthly service, you have nothing to cut unless you start buying carts? With the Cameo, when I purchase an image, it is mine to cut, with or without a continued monthly fee.
I really do hope for those who bought one that it will be an awesome machine! But I don't think it will ever end up in my arsenal!! Of all my Cricut machines, I think my favorite is the Mini-which now can be purchased for about $69. !! Had that one come out first...boy would I have saved some money!!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to ChansGram

I have had my Silhouette for 15months and the blade is still awesome. I have gone through a fair amount of mats, but the blade works forever.

New Kid On the Block
In response to 950nancy

I am in the process of deciding which machine to purchase. After ready several post and companions, I have to ask why would any one need 3 or 4 and in some cases 5 machines? Maybe 2 but these machines are $200-$350 and they all basically do the same thing with a few minor differences.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to christy1391

I am updating my earlier post.... I caved and bought the Explore.
I like this machine!!! Not so much the software...yet.

As for why so many machines?
Even tho they are basically the same, they each have something different about them.

Secondly, (and I am not saying this in a snotty tone) I buy them because I can. I will briefly explain.
We don't do any adult gifts for birthdays, Christmas, no Valentines day, I don't even like my kids to buy me anything for Mother's Day,
I am a very simple person, don't like to clothes shop or shoe shop, no designer $350. purses, no jewelry, I don't even wear my wedding ring! I don't drink or smoke ( I see the amount of money people spend on those habits, I work in a grocery store where we sell both), we don't even go to the movies!
We were suppose to go to Florida this summer and that got cancelled, so I treated myself to the new Cricut, $300. Is nothing compared to the few thousands I would have spent on vacation!

So I treat myself to things when I feel the need! Every few years I'll spend $200.-300. on a new toy, not so bad, right!

I like to spend on my hobby and my 3 granddaughters!

I gave my original Cricut to a friend who didn't have one and I'm thinking about giving my 1st Expression to my granddaughters school (if they want it).

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to ChansGram

Trish, you don't have to explain your purchases! Sometimes a girl just needs what she needs. I have been eyeing the Explore for the new features also. I don't ask for much for gifts. I like to buy things when I see them. I didn't get a birthday gift for years and then just bought an iPad. Seemed fair.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to 950nancy

How does it cut in comparison to the Silhouette, Trish?

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to 950nancy

Just wanted to add to this. My silhouette decided to die it had a short, I emailed silhouette sent it back to them they sent me a new machine no questions asked and it once again cuts amazingly.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics